Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Elizabeth - General Discussion  (Read 65965 times)

richc1977

Re: Queen Elizabeth (2010)
« Reply #160 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I'm sure the financial benefits are considerable across Carnival's entire Vista class fleet.

Not just the cost of building the thing, but running it too.  In terms of everything from staff training, staff being able to work of any Vista ship and be familiar with their environment, to maintenance and repair, provisioning, refits etc a standard class makes more sense.

It's a shame the exterior design is less than inspiring.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #161 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Queen Elizabeth (2010)
Alastair Greener's video clip of the float-out.

Youtube page also has other clips showing the development of QE
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010, 07:30 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline andy liney

« Reply #162 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:51 AM »
I'm sure the financial benefits are considerable across Carnival's entire Vista class fleet.

Not just the cost of building the thing, but running it too.  In terms of everything from staff training, staff being able to work of any Vista ship and be familiar with their environment, to maintenance and repair, provisioning, refits etc a standard class makes more sense.

It's a shame the exterior design is less than inspiring.

It's also Panamax class - the biggest you can get through the Panama Canal.

Offline Matt

« Reply #163 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:46 PM »
Im sorry but i really cannot stand this ship. Why is she carrying that name?
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #164 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:20 PM »

Is there a competion somewhere to see who builds the uglyiest ship? This makes me wanna throw up.

Louis

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #165 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:26 PM »
No, it's just marine architecture following land architecture trends.  We had grand classic, then we had blocks of flats, now we're at the monstrous carbuncle stage... ;D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #166 on: Jan 14, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Quite a few comments on We Are Cunard also refer to QE  being "the ugly sister".

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #167 on: Jan 14, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Cunard will have to scrub those from their site.  I am thinking of asking how they are addressing the buckling floors in cabins in the existing QV and if there were changes made, structurally, to QE on the Cunard Facebook site.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline luzparis

« Reply #168 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:01 PM »
after the norwegian Epic Cunard create the Queen "Epic"abeth I hope cunard dont' want to create a new ship with the Grand Princess class :-X

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #169 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Does anyone else get the impression that all these extra bits with enclosed space are there just for the purpose of boosting the GRT figure so that in the press QE will seem to be bigger than she is?  Remember - it's the GRT figure which the press use to compare these ships...

As with any Queen, size is always an issue, no matter what they say :o
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #170 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:12 PM »
The new 'Games Deck canvas covering' looks like a toilet seat!

Yes it does! ;D  I am running out of reasons why I want to take the maiden Transatlantic Crossing on her. :-\

Online Twynkle

« Reply #171 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:27 AM »
Ken
At least you'll be able to see the qV from the qE... :)
Whereas those on the qV won't have the same opportunity of viewing the ship
that would seem to be emerging by repute, as the better looking of the Vista Sistas!!
Maybe it won't be long before they are both subjected to a Poll on The Forum...Hmm

Here's more about qE
including the next YouTube clip
http://wearecunard.com/2010/01/queen-elizabeth’s-float-out-ceremony-on-video-–-part-2/
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #172 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Why have they already smashed the champagne bottle? I thought they do that during the naming ceremony.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #173 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:08 PM »
As with any Queen, size is always an issue, no matter what they say :o

And what Queen are you referring to Myles?  :o ::)  Is that a "snarky" comment?

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #174 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Thanks to Liners' List, I have just had a lot of fun looking through the 20 short-listed designs in a sculpture competition for the Queen Elizabeth. The story is here (you could even win a cruise on the QE!) :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/6995832/Cunard-sculpture-competition.html

and the 20 designs are here :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/6988902/Cunard-Competition.html

Looking through these designs, I was very tempted to apply two distinct criteria : which ones did I like best, and which ones did I think would suit QE best? There are even some there where the two criteria might overlap.  :)

I really like the idea of a sculpture competition, open to the general public. Well done, whoever thought of that!

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 11:50 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

richc1977

« Reply #175 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:31 PM »
It will probably end up looking like none of them.  Like Blue Peter competitions.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #176 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:16 AM »
FYI, I posted my question regarding the floor plate buckling issue on both QV and what they might have changed on QE to the Cunard Facebook page.  Let's see if there is a response.  I believe I posted a fair question and concern.  I most assuredly do not want to be in one of those cabins for a crossing if it as bad as has been reported.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #177 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:21 AM »
Large gaps appearing between fittings and the floor during flexing are surely a serious H&S concern, aren't they?  Suppose a passenger or crew member fell over at the wrong moment and got injured when the gap closed up again?

It's a possibility - if the plates flex as much as in those stories, any furnishings on the affected areas are not going to flex with the floor are they?

So yes, apart from being alarming it is a very serious concern and therefore a very valid and legitimate question.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Tom

« Reply #178 on: Jan 18, 2010, 02:27 AM »
Kenneth,

You probably would have to post it on Cunard's wall if you want to get a response.  They most likely wouldn't delete such a post, but I find it incredibly unlikely that they would answer it.  First off, what proof is there to confirm that such a buckling problem does exist?  Passenger experiences, including the testimony from those passengers in that court case, aren't exactly "bulletproof"; people often exaggerate the state of such conditions.  Everything that supports the idea of there being a "flexing issue" is merely subjective.  Unless tests have been conducted onboard the vessel by a professional team looking for abnormal noise and vibration conditions, there is no tangible (therefore, no credible) evidence to suggest that such a problem exists.  As a result, Cunard can choose to deny the problem all together.

In the unlikely event that they do admit to some sort of "issue", do you think that one of the company's Cruise Directors would have any sort of detailed technical information regarding their vessels?  It's the public relations people that run the Facebook page; not the designers and engineers behind the technical aspects of the ships, and getting in touch with them (let alone convincing them to admit to a major issue with their company's ships on the record) is ridiculously unlikely.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #179 on: Jan 18, 2010, 05:57 AM »
Tom, I will post the question on the wall and see what happens. No harm in trying to get an answer.  Maybe it's not going to get answered by Allistar, but he surely can get in touch with someone to get an answer.  He has been reporting on the build progress of QE so I do think he is keenly aware of the construction process now.

Regarding the flexing, buckling floor plates, and structural issues, they are documented here in this thread.
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,211.60.html  I do not think this is a structural issue in the broad sense, but more like a comfort factor for those in the cabins experiencing the flexing.  I recall seeing the carpet move a bit on QE2 in heavy seas and had no concern whatsoever that the ship was unsafe.  My cabin creaked alot, but you would too after 40 years of flexing, but the buckling of floor plates is a different sound altogether.

Lloyds flagged the cracks for monitoring so they are indeed real.  Given the fact the recent court decision exposed the issue, with resulting negative press, I would think Cunard would want to get out in front of this issue and deal with it.  I really am curious if they made any changes on QE to address this such as adding additional floor stiffeners.  Could be a simple as welding in additional t-shaped sections in the floor plates.