Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Elizabeth - General Discussion  (Read 65922 times)

Online Twynkle

Re: Queen Elizabeth (2010)
« Reply #120 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:14 AM »
.....I wish Cunard would make another design instead of the same Vista Class ships. I wonder if they will have another ship to get built? It would be good to get another Transatlantic liner from them.

Hello RMS Queen Elizabeth 2
Good Thinking!
Another new design...
We know they can do it!
Thing is...what might they call her?
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #121 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Of course they can do it. Look at all those ships that were made in the 1910's, 20s. 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s and now QM2 from 2002 (year she was built).

Perhaps a sister or not it would be great to have another true Transatlantic thoroughbred. But I doubt it will be built in the U.K. :( The name might be different as they have covered all the Queen names.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2010, 09:19 AM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #122 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:11 AM »
And why can't they stick a sharp and reinforced bow onto the basic Vista design anyway?  It can't add that much to the length, surely?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #123 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:35 AM »
But then again what could they do at the stern? Thats in shape of a box and is quite short.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #124 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:39 AM »
Maybe a cosmetic curved bit above the water line?

Don't know why they're persisting with pods anyway after the problems with the QM2?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #125 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:46 AM »
They broke didn't they on QM2?

Will the new QE make any Transatlantic crossings?

Online Twynkle

« Reply #126 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Of course they can do it. Look at all those ships that were made in the 1910's, 20s. 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s and now QM2 from 2002 (year she was built).

Perhaps a sister or not it would be great to have another true Transatlantic thoroughbred. But I doubt it will be built in the U.K. :( The name might be different as they have covered all the Queen names.

'Course they could - the first 'First' was RMS Britannia in 18whenever it was!

About the name....
Lots of Queens married to Kings of England - and Scotland!
In no particular order - Caroline, Alexandra, Aldelaide, Eleanor, etc etc
 and in her own right - Queen Anne!
They could, purely out of respect to QE2 call her QE2 x 2...Hmm
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #127 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Don't know why they're persisting with pods anyway after the problems with the QM2?

All cruise ships have pods, with few problems.  The Rolls Royce Mermaid ones on QM2, however, are very powerful, advanced and a unique design that had not been tried out before (!)... thats where the problems came from!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #128 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Will the new QE make any Transatlantic crossings?

I dont think she can/will do any more than QV does, where they are really 'repositioning' trips like most cruise ships do from time to time.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #129 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I wish Cunard would make another design instead of the same Vista Class ships. I wonder if they will have another ship to get built? It would be good to get another Transatlantic liner from them.

It would be marvellous.  However times are (very) tough and using an 'off the shelf' Vista design is much, much, much cheaper than a bespoke design like QM2 was.... even with the various compromises that the Vista ships bring to Cunard, the low cost must still be a deal breaker (compared to a proper 'new QE2').

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #130 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Not much you can do Bob if you are recycling a proven cruise ship design, getting their money's worth out of the design.  :(

Indeed.... she is the 9th of so far 11 Vista Ships.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #131 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:17 PM »
There is something clearly different above the bridge in comparision to QV.  The rounded bit at the top is different and appears to be a full level higher
I noticed that too.  It reminds me, again, of QM2 designer Stephen Payne's comments that the bridge on a liner must be the highest deck!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #132 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Despite the missing glass, there is definite change here, and I doubt it will be for the better appearance wise when we see the final product.  I'd love to here Stephen Payne weigh in on why the bridge wings have to be so low on these Vista and other current cruise ship designs.  I do recall reading that he had some involvement of the Vista class design for HAL way back.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #133 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:59 PM »
I have to say the new QE looks an improvement to QV.

I noticed that too.  It reminds me, again, of QM2 designer Stephen Payne's comments that the bridge on a liner must be the highest deck!

Where was it that Stephen said about the bridge design?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #134 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:12 PM »
Where was it that Stephen said about the bridge design?
I don't recall specifically, but basically anywhere where he was discussing what makes QM2 unique, and what makes her a liner - this is one of the ways.  Its definitely in the maxtone-graham QM2 book, and I'm sure i've seen him say it on TV somewhere or other...

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #135 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:15 AM »
The third Elizabeth is now floating.

I saw this image of her on the We Are Cunard blog - the structure above the bridge certainly looks imposing!

Chris.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #136 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:16 AM »
Also from the blog:

Three coins were chosen; a half crown dated 1938 (the year the first Queen Elizabeth was launched); a sovereign dated 1967 (the year QE2 was launched) and a sovereign dated 2010 to acknowledge the fact that the new Queen Elizabeth is being floated out in 2010.

Offline Matt

« Reply #137 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:36 AM »
I have to say, i think this new Elizabeth looks worse than the Queen Victoria.  :'(
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Offline matdark

« Reply #138 on: Jan 08, 2010, 02:45 PM »
While sorting pics on my hard drive I found this sketch I had made some time ago... The intent was to make an improved QM2... Wouldn't it have been way better if she had looked like this?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ylvIXHD8ZmPluhBagx3dyA?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2EvMawosHbdg&feat=directlink

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #139 on: Jan 08, 2010, 05:14 PM »
You got the proportions sorted out there Matt pretty spot on.  Funnel in the center too!  Looks like you lopped off those added floors that the bean counters said had to be included to make the ship profitable too.

Regarding the new pictures posted on the Cunard Blog, I agree that they really uglied up the QE with that forward area extension, especially how it abruptly ends, squarely, going towards the stern.  I'm really disappointed.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/