Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Elizabeth - General Discussion  (Read 65923 times)

Online Twynkle

Elizabeth - General Discussion
« on: Mar 17, 2009, 03:52 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1162681/Cunard-unveils-plans-365m-Queen-Elizabeth-heralds-return-golden-age-ocean-liners.html

The photos etc in this link show why The Queen Elizabeth 2 continues to be in a class of her own, still!
The finest of all.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2010, 11:58 AM by Rob Lightbody »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Another Queen Elizabeth...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:41 PM »
These photos are entirely sufficient to put me off. The article does nothing to change that.
I am not at all surprised that there are no exterior pictures of the new ship.

Here is the Cunard press release :

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Cunard-Line-Limited-962078.html

If you click into the link at the bottom and use the login and password provided, you can get some photos of Queen Elizabeth (not the first, but the future one) as well as of Queen Mary (the first), QM2, QV and QE2. The latter is also the main picture at the top of the page. Cunard's are still using her to entice passengers into the other ships...  grrrrrrrh    >:(

If only they had called the new ship anything else... why add insult to injury ???  ?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Awful.

Absolutely awful.

Significantly worse than expected, and I wasn't expecting much after QV.

An American's view of olde-England/Titanic on sea.

The Yacht Club doesn't look a patch on QE2's clever design.

The part where they say its a successor to QE2 is the worst bit - SHE IS NOT - thats QM2.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:27 AM »
They've posted my comment :)

Online Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2009, 12:03 PM »

Hi Everyone!

Rob's Comment will need lots of clicks on the green arrow to 'rate' it very highly
So will any other Forum member's comment, for that matter!!!

For Good Measure - here's the link again!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1162681/Cunard-unveils-plans-365m-Queen-Elizabeth-heralds-return-golden-age-ocean-liners.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2009, 07:07 PM »
They've posted my comment :)

You've obviously said something that pleased the Daily Mail   8)
I sent in mine this morning, but it's still not there... did not pass muster...  :(
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2009, 07:08 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I sent in mine this morning, but it's still not there... did not pass muster...  :(

I find that being controversial and sounding a bit like a nutter helps, you should try it sometime!  :P  :o

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2009, 07:23 PM »
I find that being controversial and sounding a bit like a nutter helps, you should try it sometime!  :P  :o

Reason I'm waiting with bated breath is because I'm expecting lots of lovely red negative votes...! If my comment appears too late, there'll be no one left to read, then vote... and I shall never know how many I might have made  :-\

Of course, now I'm tempted to be even more controversial... but I cannot get my comment back  >:( ... Yes, total nutter would have been the right approach... I'll try again next time!  ;D

Offline Waverley

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:05 PM »
I received a glossy pamplet from Cunard this morning in the post and further information today by e-mail regarding the maiden voyage for this new ship.

I heard reports from other passengers who had travelled on the Queen Victoria that it was prone to rolling in rough conditions.  It that case the new Games Deck with croquet and bowls should be interesting on the Queen Elizabeth.

I think that the design of this new liner should have been better, not a copy of the QV and something which was unique. It had to be able to replace the QE2 and once again hold the title of being the most recognised ship in the world.  This one will not.
Robert

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2009, 10:19 PM »
I think that the design of this new liner should have been better, not a copy of the QV and something which was unique. It had to be able to replace the QE2 and once again hold the title of being the most recognised ship in the world.  This one will not.

Thats the QM2 - completely unique, a replacement for QE2, and surely now the most recognised ship in the world - or will be in time.  Don't let anyone tell you that QE'3' is a replacement for QE2 (or QE1!).

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2009, 11:53 PM »
I'm sure by now you are all aware that Cunard have now added Queen Elizabeth to their website? Includes deck-plans, photo gallery etc.

Alistair's blog (www.wearecunard.com) also mentions it - including info that the new Queen Elizabeth will include a Yacht Club in a tribute to the QE2.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2009, 12:02 AM »

Will it really be called 'The Yacht Club'?

'Ours' was unique!

Ocean Liner Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2009, 03:24 AM »

Will it really be called 'The Yacht Club'?

'Ours' was unique!
Yes there will be a Yacht Club aboard the new Queen Elizabeth.That said the new Queen Elizabeth will not be anything special.She is just another Vista Queen just like the Queen Victoria.Cunard/Carnival Corp. should have done it the right way and design the Queen Victoria and the new Queen Elizabeth to be Panamax versions of the QM2.But they did it the wrong way and both the QV and the new QE are designed by using the Vista Class Cruise Ship design which is really a Holland-America design NOT a Cunard design.    :(     Regards,Jerry
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2009, 03:26 AM by Ocean Liner Fanatic »

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2009, 07:32 AM »
I aM really NOT impressed, this is Carnival's take on British taste, a cross between Titanic on speed (drugs) and a bad imitation of a tawdry Art-deco moviehouse run to seed. UGH, and they DARE to give this the name Elizabeth. I only hope the reality is not so bad as the artist's renditions. The ship really could be called Queen Berengaria, after the not-so-popular ex-German ship which replaced the Lusitania. And if Carnival ever DARE call one of their cruise ships by a historical Cunard name like Mauretania or Aquitania or even Caronia, I think I shall scream. This is just another Carnivorious Vista

Online Twynkle

« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Another?

Curious to note that this presentation (Carol Marlow) arrived at the same time a gloomy business report about the luxury end of cruising by Reuters this morning!

http://www.cunard.co.uk/qelaunch/
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2009, 07:20 PM by twynkle »

Online Twynkle

KEV

« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2009, 06:52 PM »
I too waited with baited breath for the glossy to fall through the door and I have to say the computer simulations don't do any favours for me so far. QE2 was unique,refreshing and  cutting edge when she was launched and these images are all a bit brown retro and old time music hall to me.Hopefully there's some more individual interior design  stuff in other areas to balance the environment. She's obviously based on similar designs that have been coming out over recent times so will never have the same impact at launch as QE2. Having said that if I had the money I would sail on any of the new Queens and I wish her well.Time will tell how she's loved in her own way
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2009, 08:45 PM by KEV »

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Hello again. Oh what a mess! The "new" QE is truly awful - gawdy, bland with absolutely no taste!

Cheers!
Edmund

Offline caledonia

The New QE
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2009, 01:11 PM »
Just out of interest has any body received the publicity material from Cunard re the new QE and has anbody registered their interest in one of the first 6 voyages that have been announced. I have taken the plunge and registered for the 3rd one to the Med etc.
What are your thoughts on her from what has been announced ? - she looks like she is going to be an enlarged QV.

Online Twynkle

Re: The New QE
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2009, 05:32 PM »

Hello!

You'll find out more on about the New QE in the Virtual Chart Room
under Another Queen Elizabeth!

Here's the link!

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,299.0.html