Author Topic: QE2 - builders plans  (Read 4464 times)

Offline matt smith

QE2 - builders plans
« on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:49 AM »
hi,

rob i sent you a email,

i have found builders  plans at the Archive Services
University of Glasgow.

they have lots of plans see the reply.heres a link very good to.

http://195.153.34.9/onlinecatalogue/overview.aspx?st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=&ko=a&r=UCS1%2f110%2f736%2f2&ro=s&df=&dt=&di=y

here is  the reply from the archives.

We do have drawings available for the ship you are interested in. A list of them can be found on the National Archives of Scotland website under the archive reference number:

UCS1/110/736/1 for all the rolled plans
UCS1/110/736/2 for all the boxed plans

Most model makers take a combination of the following:

UCS1/110/736/1/12-18, 94,95
USC1/110/736/2/10 and 788
USC1/110/736/1/31 and 32 lines plan & capacity body plan were only provisional.

If you want to see a more detailed list of the plans available

Go to http://www.nas.gov.uk
select "Catalogues and indexes"
then "Search the NAS catalogue"
then "Search".

In the box next to "Reference", enter any of the reference number given above and select "Starts".
Click on "Search".

hope this helps i have attachment a word file that the plans that are better for model builders.
 and the order form and copy prices.
cheers matt

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 01:47 PM by Lynda »

Online Bob C.

Re: found qe2 builders plans
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:45 PM »
In addition to the above, the RMSQUEENELIZABETH2.COM website has been updated to include, among other great items,  interactive 1969 general arrangement plans for decks 8-Quarter.  Hopefully the Upper, Boat, Sports and Signal decks get added soon.

Very, very well done.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011, 05:47 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Matt,

I read your message about having located QE2 plans. I ordered and obtained plans from the University of Glasgow - at some expense, only to find that they were not QE2 but Q3.

UCS1/110/736/1/31 is not, and 32 is probably not, QE2. If you look closely at #31 you'll find the yard number, dates and dimensions noted on the plan do not correspond with QE2. This was a great disappointment as I thought I had hit the jackpot when I found them. I had an exchange of emails with Ian Johnston who wrote a history of the Clyde shipyards and he confirmed my suspicions about the plans.

If you would like further details of what I discovered do let me know, but I would suggest you and others who may be interested check the plans available from the archives carefully before committing funds to obtaining copies.

I would love to find I'm wrong about this but I fear I'm not.

Cheers,

Lachlan

Offline matt smith

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:00 AM »
hi,

are you serious!!

hope you can use them?

sorry if i posted the link for the plans and they are not the ones?i will delete the post saves confusion?

as i am in australia i cant see the plans...

i sent you a email.

cheers matt

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Has anyone ever been to the University of Glasgow archives? 

I'm planning a trip to Dublin in August or September 2012 and would like to include a tour of QE2's birthplace and surrounding area. I'd like to plan a stop at the archives to research and hopefully copy selected plans.  Copies of Q3 wouldn't be bad either.

If anyone has been there, I'd appreciate any information on how to make the best use of my limited time - thanks!

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2011, 05:56 AM »
Bob and Matt,

It would be great if someone could find out for sure which of the University of Glasgow's plans are the right QE2 plans, especially for the purposes of making a model. I think the lines drawings and a detailed as fitted General Arrangement are the ones most important for building a model.

I am finishing a model of the 1961 Oriana. For that model I got a very detailed copy of the original 1/96 Vickers Armstrong 'as fitted" GA from a senior P&O executive which has been fantastic. Even he couldn't get me the line drawings for Oriana.

Someone must have been to look at the plans in the archives. For Matt in Sydney, me in Melbourne and Bob in Pensacola it's a bit hard to go and have a look! Perhaps one of our QE2 enthusiast colleagues in the UK could have a look and let us all know what plans we should be ordering from the UofG archives.

The Q3 plans I was sent are very big files and it was clear that the originals were pretty scruffy. I don't know whether QE2 was a scaled-down Q3 in hull form but I doubt it. I thought QE2 was a different design, based on the large, fast twin-screw concept of which Oriana was the successful prototype.

Anyway, I am sure we would all benefit from anything learnt by anyone who has been to the archives to see what's there.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Has anyone ever been to the University of Glasgow archives?  

I'm planning a trip to Dublin in August or September 2012 and would like to include a tour of QE2's birthplace and surrounding area. I'd like to plan a stop at the archives to research and hopefully copy selected plans.  Copies of Q3 wouldn't be bad either.

If anyone has been there, I'd appreciate any information on how to make the best use of my limited time - thanks!
Bob
I was at the University of Glasgow Archives last year to find the record of my father's apprenticeship at John Brown's. Also to see if there was any payroll records on my father or other members of my family.  I had contacted  the Archive staff by email and submitted a detailed list of what I was looking for prior to my visit.  Although the Archives is housed in what looks from the outside a very unimpressive building, once inside you enter a modern air conditioned environment.  The staff were very knowledgeable about archiving but not necessarily the John Brown's records. However they were very helpful.  The documents are brought to you for inspection.  You cannot browse (so you need to know what what to ask for).  There is also some interesting books for reference on display.  

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2011, 09:03 AM by Lynda »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

1986/7 Refit Plans & Drawings for Sale.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 2697
Last post Apr 10, 2009, 08:40 PM
by Malcolm
help, searching for model plans to scratch build a 1/96 scale Qe2

Started by Chris DavisBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 1
Views: 1896
Last post Jul 15, 2012, 05:31 PM