Author Topic: The Queen Mary Suite on The Queen Mary  (Read 10727 times)

Offline cunardqueen

The Queen Mary Suite on The Queen Mary
« on: Feb 19, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Following my first visit to Queen Mary in 2010, l walked past this door just a few doors down from the Phinney suite, and just knew when l returned on my next visit it would be a dream to stay in it. When l checked in  the rate quoted was impossible to say no to. A return visit this January  for a weekend stay provided that chance.. enjoy the pics..

Not knowing what to expect when the keycard was inserted and the door was opened, boy was l in for a surprise.The left door takes you into the main sleeping accommodation & the right door takes you into the sitting room

The door on the left is the Maids/guest room and the door on the right, unknown to me was hiding my bathroom, It was only that night when l went to close 7 of the doors that it was revealed to me,l had till then been using the guest bathroom...   

The guest room reminded me of the times spend in the MI grades on QE2

The guest bathroom/toilet

Unchanged since she was built, l did wonder if it was placed there so that people could see their reactions to such a glorious suite...

more pics to follow

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 04:31 PM by Rob Lightbody »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline cunardqueen

Re: The Queen Mary Suite on The Queen Mary
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2011, 02:55 PM »
There was l must admit some differences since my last visit. It was mid January and starting off with the Sunday Brunch, I was surprised just how busy it was. Arriving at 12.30 there were a lot more tables visible than the previous visit. There also seemed to be a larger choice of food, which was topped up often. The atmosphere was still the same, and to take a few moments to survey all that was around you was incredible. The service was slick and tops ups of the delicious fresh orange juice and champagne were generous and often. By 3pm everyone had left and the process of clearing up began. From my point of view The sunday Brunch on Queen Mary is still one of the finest l have experienced. Having enjoyed brunch in various locations, Caesars Palace came second on the list, but they were doing 1850 when l visited...a few minor niggles but perhaps that's me.   

Having left the suitcase with the bell boy, and checking in, officially it wasn't till 4pm they did advise me the cabin, (yes they still call them cabins!) wasn't ready yet, it had been a busy weekend with a conference with a lot of guests departing today. I did ask about the Queen Mary suite but all the suites were full tonight, But tomorrow night it would be mine for 2 nights, and the rate l was very happy to pay, Not full rate, But a nice discount and the AA after some prior research knocked a further discount as well. Booking direct with the ship means they don't need to pay any commission to the various agencies.

Sure enough after brunch the cabin was ready M145 a double cabin not as big obviously as my previous one, but still steeped in history with lots of quirky drawers and such things. The key cards have a lovely view of the Queen Mary and are presented in a nice passport style booklet

The new owners Delaware North, are l must say investing money back into Queen Mary and this was clearly noticed in that a lot of new carpets are in place. What l didn't like are the new white bed coverings, the previous design was l thought much better, but then again l guess they could hide some marks, where as white does show everything.  The toiletries are all Gilchrist & Soames, which includes bath salts. The new logo branding is nice to see all over the ship, and l think more in keeping than the previous logo.
 The lifeboats it appears are all being refurbished at a cost of $5000 each. The dreaded filter coffee machines in the cabins depending on which way you look at it are quite nice, lm not a coffee drinker and as they dont give you tea bags and biscuits, They don't even have the little packets of UHT which unbearable as it is would have made the coffee drinkable, and they still have the cardboard cups.

The new addition to the shops, STACKS is indeed a top quality shop with quality merchandise and a price that isnt what l considered expensive. As its part of the Ships company the profits are ploughed back into the ship, the other shops are all privately run and as such they keep their profits, and why oh why do they still have that dragon shop, its a lovely prime location filled with the most hideous stuff you can ever imagine.
 The Bakery having been moved to the front of the Promenade cafe provides a better location and hopefully fresher products, last visit they covered up the products with paper, which makes you wonder how fresh things really were.
The Promenade cafe was open for breakfast and lunch but closed for dinner, with dinner being in the new Chelsea Chowder house and Bar. A nice restaurant but perhaps a tad to much white in colouring and why on earth do they cover the cloth tables with brown wrapping paper, that just looked so cheap and nasty. I do think that if your a family then eating here could be expensive compared to the Promenade cafe, I still haven't managed to eat in the recently refurbished Sir Winston's,that will be next time but the bar is lovely. with a grand selection of drinks
 Anyway that's just some of my thoughts in the meantime...

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Okay Myles, did you remove the drawers and look under the bed for any treasures, perhaps from the original craftsman? :D  I cannot wait to see the beautiful Clydebuilt joinery some day up close and in person.  I know that when Disney managed the ship, they replaced the countertops with the blue pearl granite, which I think somewhat distracts from the original Art Deco decor.  Did you ever find out what the original "cabins" had for countertops?

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:46 PM »
  more pics to follow

Some pictures l should have added...
Farewell to America

The Bedroom,with guest in residence

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 04:31 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:04 PM »
Outstanding photos.  I've been in that suite a few times and the wodwork alone is amazing let alone the other art and craftsmanship.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:34 PM »
I love that funnel mug on the table in one of the pictures. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Such amazing woodwork! Looks in excellent condition too.

What sort of smell / scent do the cabins have? Can you smell all that beautiful wood?

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:52 PM »
  I love that funnel mug on the table in one of the pictures. 
The Funnel mug is very cute...
It slants...
From the STACKS shop onboard. ;D...

<inactive link removed>
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 06:55 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:54 PM »
I am so proud of the Clydeside workmanship that produced this wonderful wood panelling and furniture and it is fantastic that this has been preserved for future generations.  

I remember reading somewhere that there were a high number of women french polishers both in the John Brown's shipyard and in the Clydebank Singer's Sewing Machine Company cabinet makers section.  
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:57 PM »
What sort of smell / scent do the cabins have? Can you smell all that beautiful wood?   

Dont laugh but the rounded closet, l stepped inside and the smell is just amazing.... and the workmanship is just something else..Beautiful, as for the smell its still there, run your hands over it all and its just sooo smooth
Im quite sure the normal guest will miss out on a lot, but the shippies among us all, miss nothing.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Something that really surprised and delighted me was the turn down service. I never gave the idea any thought at all but l went to eat in the Chelsea Chowder place, couple of drinks in the Obersevation bar and returned to find something that l only thought existed on QE2, that of the Pillow Surprise... :o

<inactive link removed>

Good night  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 06:53 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Such amazing woodwork! Looks in excellent condition too.

About the wood of the TV stand - Myles
Did you think it was the original wood veneer?
The reason I ask, is because on QM2 there is an extremely realistic laminated walnut? or cherry? veneer throughout the Library and on Stairway C as well as elsewhere.
It has been made from photographing the wood, then laminating the photographs so that the bulkheads, shelves etc all appear to be covered with a highly polished wood veneer....
Maybe flagship can tell us more about whether this technique was used on QE2 as well....

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:38 AM »
About the wood of the TV stand - Myles
Did you think it was the original wood veneer?

No l would say.....  :( and it hides the fire...

They also had the same style of TV stand in the Phinney Suite on my previous visit.
The pic below shows the Churchill Suite with TV stand..
** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **i
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 05:06 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:38 AM »
and it hides the fire...
    :o

wha'd ya do, Myles?

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:19 PM »
Gosh l had forgotten l had taken so many photos, will post a load more over time,

The writing desk..
looking through to the bedroom, the left door takes you out to the entrance hallway
The book summed it all up
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 04:32 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Balcony Suite corridor - Titanic Style

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 4
Views: 606
Last post Feb 25, 2020, 04:23 PM
by June Ingram
QE2's Trafalgar Suite

Started by Ron WarwickBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 12
Views: 1248
Last post Apr 30, 2020, 03:35 PM
by Chris
Queen Elizabeth 2 - Maiden Cruises aboard the QE2 - 1969 Programme

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 44
Views: 19310
Last post Jan 23, 2022, 12:19 PM
by Rob Lightbody
MOVED: QUEEN ANNE MaidenV voyage - Part - 2

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2's Successors

Replies: 0
Views: 90
Last post Jun 10, 2024, 09:30 AM
by Lynda Bradford
The Queen at the Naming of Queen Elizabeth

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 0
Views: 608
Last post Jun 13, 2018, 02:19 PM
by Michael Gallagher