Author Topic: TS Duchess of Hamilton: Clyde steamer trip to QE2 launch  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Waverley

A nice wee story about the QE2 launch.
Robert

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: To all who sail in her
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Robert this indeed is a nice story with links to the  SS Duchess of Hamilton, the QE2 and the story was published by the People's Friend, my Gran's favourite magazine. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Waverley

Clyde steamer trip to the QE2 launch
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2021, 08:08 PM »
Here is a memory of the turbine steamer visit to view the launch of the QE2. The T.S. Duchess of Hamilton carried passengers from Rothesay on the Isle of Bute all the way up the river Clyde to the shipyard.
This story was published in the magazine ‘the People’s Friend’ years ago but I liked the story so I cut it out and kept it safe.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Clyde steamer trip to the QE2 launch
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:00 PM »
Here is a memory of the turbine steamer visit to view the launch of the QE2. The T.S. Duchess of Hamilton carried passengers from Rothesay on the Isle of Bute all the way up the river Clyde to the shipyard.
This story was published in the magazine ‘the People’s Friend’ years ago but I liked the story so I cut it out and kept it safe.

Thank you!  That's fantastic.  I've seen her in the photos and videos sitting there for the launch, but it's great to connect it up to the onboard experience like that.

Also interesting to see them getting the new liner's name wrong at that time... Although it is what they heard her majesty say that day of course...!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Waverley

Re: Clyde steamer trip to the QE2 launch
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2021, 01:49 PM »
This photo has just been posted on the Scottish Shipbuilding Facebook page.
Showing the Duchess and QE2 together.
Pic - Picture This Scotland. From the Glasgow Chronicles

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: TS Duchess of Hamilton: Clyde steamer trip to QE2 launch
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2021, 10:21 AM »
Thanks for posting Waverley and what a fantastic experience for those on the boat to be so close to the launch of QE2.

The colour photo has captured  a bit of Clydeside history.  Just love how the picture has captured the boat tilting to one side as people gathered to see the launch. 

I have moved the topic to the Design Concept and Build topic board along with other launch topics
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:13 AM »
I recall seeing a few photos of ps Caledonia moored at the entrance to Rothesay Dock with a severe list as everyone crowded to one side to view the launch.
The only one I can find is on Flickr here: ps Caledonia QE2 Launch

Gav
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2021, 09:15 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Waverley

Re: TS Duchess of Hamilton and Clyde steamer trips to QE2 launch
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Another one
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2021, 09:40 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:42 AM »
The Black and White photos capture the scene so well.

The Caledonia in the picture - would she be docked in the fitting out basis?  I am trying to think where else the boat could tie up!
www.qe2event.com

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:28 PM »
Is that heavy list caused by a large number of passengers crowding the starboard side to have a look at QE2, I wonder...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Waverley

« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:05 PM »
Yes, I would think that is the case. No one on the port side 🙂

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Is that heavy list caused by a large number of passengers crowding the starboard side to have a look at QE2, I wonder...?

Yes definitely Peter - Waverley does this at times when people crowd to one side to view something. This prompts an announcement from the bridge for some people to go to the other side of the ship to restore stability and also to reduce the stress on the wheels - more so the wheel on the side she is listing too as it becomes overly submerged which causes increased drag and stress on the structure of the wheel. Also the lighter loaded wheel on the other side causes uneven stresses on the main engine crank which isnt good either.

Gav
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2021, 11:57 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »