Author Topic: Tom Kameen  (Read 4311 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

Tom Kameen
« on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Word has reached me that, sadly, Tom Kameen has died aged 99.

Cunard’s QE2 design team was headed by Chief Naval Architect Dan Wallace (1916-1979) and Technical Director Tom Kameen (1916-2014). The former was responsible for the overall design and construction of the Q4 and, the latter, for the mechanical operations – including everything from the engine room to the galley, the plumbing and the air conditioning. Working with Cunard’s directorate, their initial job was to establish the optimum size, capacity and speed of the new liner. Wallace had begun his career as an apprentice draughtsman at John Brown’s shipyard in 1931 and the first ship on which he worked there was the Queen Mary. In 1951, he joined Cunard as their Assistant Naval Architect, later succeeding Robert K. Wood as Chief Naval Architect in 1964.

Kameen had started his apprenticeship at Cammell Laird’s yard in Birkenhead in 1932, joining Cunard four years later as an engineer officer. In this role, he served aboard Aquitania, Berengaria and Queen Mary. During the latter stages of the Second World War, he was stationed in New York, serving the Ministry of War Transport there, before returning to Cunard in 1945 as the line’s Assistant Superintendent Engineer in Southampton. He became the Technical Director in 1963.

After QE2 entered service Wallace and Kameen headed up a new Cunard Technical Department and their next project was the Cunard Ambassador and Cunard Adventurer. The services of Wallace and Kameen were terminated when Trafalgar House bought Cunard in 1971.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Tom Kameen
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Thank you, Michael, for the sad news about the passing of Tom Kameen and accompanying valuable information.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Such sad news. Thankyou for telling us a bit about him aswell.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Tom Kameen's family can be proud of the contribution he made to shipbuilding and take comfort in the fact that his name and memory will live on in maritime history, especially in relation to QE2.  I would like to offer my condolences to his family at this sad time. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Tom Kameen's family can be proud of the contribution he made to shipbuilding and take comfort in the fact that his name and memory will live on in maritime history, especially in relation to QE2.  I would like to offer my condolences to his family at this sad time.

Agreed.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Very well said, Lynda.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Was he present at some of the Farewell celebrations for QE2. l have a photo of you (Michael) on the bridge wing as we docked at Greenock, and lm sure you mentioned he was there as well...   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:04 AM »
He attended the QE2 Concert at the Cathedral in 2008 and we flashed a photo of him and Dan Wallace up to thank them both for giving us QE2. When I told him he'd given us a great ship, he beamed and declared "I Know!" Just brilliant.

He will go down as the three most important (to me) people I have met thanks to working at Cunard: The Queen, Sir John Brown (who I took round QE2 on his first visit to the ship since she left the yard in 1994) and Tom Kameen.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Just spoken to his daughter-in-law who told me that one of his fondest memories in retirement was attending the Cathedral Concert in 2008!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Thank you, Michael, for sharing this with us. 

Offline Jack Lester

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Feel quite upset hearing about Tom Kameen having worked very closely with him  and his team.many memories ,probably the nicest for my Wife and 2 daughters was to be asked by him personally "could you ,Edith and your children join the QE2 for the cruise out to Las Palmas as she will be away over the holiday"Obvious immediate answer  yes please!!!!
A gentle man ,easy to talk with and what a priviledge to have also made many cups of tea and coffee for him ,RKWoods and Stonebanks  in our laboratory on the 6th floor Cunard building..I think they liked the peace and quiet and could voice their private opinions away from their normal office!
he Will be missed!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2015, 10:03 PM »
Wonderful to read your memories, Jack -- they make a person come alive!

He sounds like a generous and considerate man, and a pleasure to have known. I am sure he thought the same thing about yourself.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Papers of Mr. T. Kameen, Technical Director for Cunard (QE2)

Liverpool University Special Collection and Archives
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Jack Lester

« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2020, 11:36 AM »
Word has reached me that, sadly, Tom Kameen has died aged 99.

Cunard’s QE2 design team was headed by Chief Naval Architect Dan Wallace (1916-1979) and Technical Director Tom Kameen (1916-2014). The former was responsible for the overall design and construction of the Q4 and, the latter, for the mechanical operations – including everything from the engine room to the galley, the plumbing and the air conditioning. Working with Cunard’s directorate, their initial job was to establish the optimum size, capacity and speed of the new liner. Wallace had begun his career as an apprentice draughtsman at John Brown’s shipyard in 1931 and the first ship on which he worked there was the Queen Mary. In 1951, he joined Cunard as their Assistant Naval Architect, later succeeding Robert K. Wood as Chief Naval Architect in 1964.

Kameen had started his apprenticeship at Cammell Laird’s yard in Birkenhead in 1932, joining Cunard four years later as an engineer officer. In this role, he served aboard Aquitania, Berengaria and Queen Mary. During the latter stages of the Second World War, he was stationed in New York, serving the Ministry of War Transport there, before returning to Cunard in 1945 as the line’s Assistant Superintendent Engineer in Southampton. He became the Technical Director in 1963.

After QE2 entered service Wallace and Kameen headed up a new Cunard Technical Department and their next project was the Cunard Ambassador and Cunard Adventurer. The services of Wallace and Kameen were terminated when Trafalgar House bought Cunard in 1971.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Hello Jack, it is good to return to this topic and remember the excellent contributions of Tom Kameen to QE2's design.

Do you remember him? Were you fortunate to experience his work on QE2 when it was fresh and new? Looking forward to hearing more.