Author Topic: Great LIFE article on QE's lay-up in Florida circa 1970  (Read 4292 times)

RyanZ

Check out this great article on QE's lay-up in Port Everglades, Florida in 1970.  It's a fascinating and colorful story of local corruption and shady dealings.  From the September 11, 1970 issue of LIFE magazine, courtesy of Google Books.  See pages 33-36. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=wFUEAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&lr=&rview=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: Great LIFE article on QE's lay-up in Florida circa 1970
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Thank you very much for posting this.
Sad yet very fascinating, it's great to get the story as it happened.

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010, 07:18 PM by Stowaway2k »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Excellent find.  Also a good look back at advertizing from 40 years ago - the clothing and hair styles have changed but the tactics are the same.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Anybody else noticed the similarity of desolate locations undeveloped, between poor old Queen Elizabeth then & QE2 now I find it spooky & hope to god ( no offence intended) the  same outcome isn't played out  Thanks for finding & posting Ryan z
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010, 09:28 PM by pete cain »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2010, 01:52 AM »
Great find Ryan.  I also found looking at the advertisements amusing.  Our first color TV in our house growing up was the very Zenith TV pictured in one of those ads.  And for those that can remember the Ford Pinto, that is the car that blew up if rear ended!

I have refrained from making the similar comparisons between the two Elizabeths.  The similarity ends though with the fact that Cunard does not hold the "paper" on QE2 and cannot take her back.  Port Everglades has changed quite a bit from 1970.  The terminal used by Carnival/Cunard occupies the peninsula the ship is pictured tied up at/
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2010, 01:55 AM »
Page 19 is also interesting since it describes a picture phone being developed by AT &T in 1970!  :o
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:53 PM »
It makes startling reading now, I'd say.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:08 PM »
I had seen that article before, but it reminds one of the sad fate of what I personally believe, having been on both, was far and away the better of the two "Queen" ships.  All of her life, she was in the shadow of QM and even at the end she got abused and torched while the Mary is still sitting in California as a tourist destination.  I guess the treatment she received explains why her boilers were trashed when they tried to sail her to Hong Kong at the end--she sat there idling for two years with the lights and a/c running and no real engineers looking after her!

rmeneses

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Page 19 is also interesting since it describes a picture phone being developed by AT &T in 1970!  :o

Like in "2001 A Space Odyssey"!

Matteo 91

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2012, 07:23 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Very interesting, I didn't know that you could read old copies of Life online.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Check out this great article on QE's lay-up in Port Everglades, Florida in 1970.  It's a fascinating and colorful story of local corruption and shady dealings.  From the September 11, 1970 issue of LIFE magazine, courtesy of Google Books.  See pages 33-36. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=wFUEAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&lr=&rview=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

For those of us who have not seen this article, it is worth reading.  Rather frightening !!
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:02 PM »
For those of us who have not seen this article, it is worth reading.  Rather frightening !!

History repeating itself.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2014, 03:12 PM »
It seems so.  There are all too many similarities.  I hope things take a turn in a positive direction for our Lady. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !