Author Topic: Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers  (Read 63578 times)

Offline Rod

Re: Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers
« Reply #45 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:39 PM »
AND do not forget the MUPPETS!
They were carried over to the UK in the hold.
These are the facts folks!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Nov 09, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Sir Jimmy Saville, a major UK Celebrity for many decades (if you're over 30 years old anyway) and a lifelong QE2 fan and regular passenger, was buried today.  I certainly have very strong memories of him from when I was a child, he was a major TV and radio celebrity then, and never disappeared from view.

On my visits to the Queens in Greenock on the past couple of years, I only asked the first time why, when passing one cabin in particular, I could smell cigar smoke!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15647363

Reflecting his love of the sea, he has chosen -

Quote from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15647363
His body will be set at an angle of 45-degrees at a cemetery in Scarborough "to enable him to see the sea", funeral director Robert Morphet said.

RIP Jimmy.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Pat Curry

« Reply #47 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:36 PM »

RIP Jimmy.
He and Jim Bowen, both very regularly on QE2 were the only two entertainers (as far as I know) who were made honourary members of the Fo'c's'le Club.  Though I never met them there (our cruises never coincided) both were very popular with crew.

PS: anyone noticed this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forecastle  (bottom pic) 
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2011, 08:55 PM by Queet-two »

Offline Rod

« Reply #48 on: Nov 10, 2011, 12:22 AM »
29th April 1987 A charity function onboard QE2. Prior the departure of the NEW QE2 to New York

<dead link removed>

Thats me in pic 2 standing over watching he disembarq
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 03:37 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline peter ward

« Reply #49 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Rita Moreno did travel on the QE2 but she was actually working doing cabaret . I know as I was the steward who looked after her in the TOW. along with joe loss and his bad and several minor celebs ..including paul melba the impressionist and the Inkspots !
peter

Offline peter ward

« Reply #50 on: Nov 10, 2011, 10:12 AM »
I was on embarkation duty one time ,two deck foyer amidships ,when I was given a bunch of flowers to deliver to a stateroom on two deck aft somewhere ...so I set off down two deck and spotted a bedroom stewardess at  a cabin door .
not knowing where my delivery was to go I stopped to ask ,as I did the cabin door opened and there stood danny la rue  (the drag queen did you know he used to be a steward on the old queens ) then from underneath his arm (he was quite tall) or so its seems appeared wayne sleep the dancer who on spotting the flowers said ' oooooh are they for me ' whereupon I said no they are not and made my way aft !!
peter

Online Bob C.

« Reply #51 on: Nov 10, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Rita Moreno did travel on the QE2 but she was actually working doing cabaret . I know as I was the steward who looked after her in the TOW. along with joe loss and his bad and several minor celebs ..including paul melba the impressionist and the Inkspots !

Rita performing in the Double Down Room in June 1977 - https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,281.msg5032.html#msg5032

Quick observation, Pete.   If you looked after her in the TOW, that would have been 1978 or after as it was still the Britannia Restaurant in 1977 when the above referenced photo was taken.  That would also mean that Rita traveled on QE2 more than once - the lady has good taste!
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2011, 12:57 PM by Bob C. »

Offline peter ward

« Reply #52 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:08 PM »
hi bob, actually I think it was 1979 ,it was the first time we had been to china and joe loss performed there. rita was (is she still with us ?) a great lady , she had no airs and graces and was more at home with the crew.. So it must've been the tables of the world by then .......but time blur's your memory so I can't be 100% sure.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2011, 07:57 PM by peter ward »
peter

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:23 AM »
On November 17th,
Mr Eric Flounders has written about Sir Jimmy Savile

Note: Cunard have removed the page with the list
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2022, 09:40 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #54 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Sugar Ray Leonard (the champion boxer) as a passenger, in a boxing match with Steve Sinclair (a crew member and waiter on the QE2) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=F8h0boyLcJk&nomobile=1

Online Bob C.

« Reply #55 on: Nov 10, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Unless I saw that video, I would have never believed there was ever a boxing match, especially involving Sugar Ray, in the Double Room/Grand Lounge.  Great find!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #56 on: Nov 10, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Off at a bit of a tangent here, but Cunard's boxing waiters are nothing new (remember Big John Prescott's jab at the bloke who threw the egg a few years back ::) ).

If you get a chance, check out the film "Al's Lads" (released as "Capone's Boys" in the U.S). It's set in the 1920s and concerns the adventures of a bunch of waiters on the Mauretania who jump ship in New York and end up working for Al Capone. I can't claim it's a great bit of cinema, but it does show waiters boxing for the entertainment of passengers. And, for any Scousers amongst you, there's the added fun of playing "spot the location" of the New York and Chicago scenes.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #57 on: Nov 10, 2012, 05:04 PM »
And lets not forget the classic scenes in Fast Boat to China when Alan Whicker dispels the myths of waiters being limp wristed (his words not mine) as they get involved in a boxing match in l believe Pattaya....Mindyou these were ashore and not onboard. Im sure onboard has seen various forms of boxing as well  ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #58 on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Jack Humphries, QE2's "Donkeyman for many years, used to earn a bit of extra cash when he was on the cargo boats that would wait for 2-4 weeks for cargoes. he would enter the "Golden Gloves" competitions along the east coast of the US. Did pretty well. Stood him in good stead when discipline was achieved through muscle.
When an Assistant Mechanic, that I "logged" threatened me with bodily harm....Jack took care of it! A/M looked like he had been through 10 rounds with Ali!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #59 on: Aug 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I read Samantha Janus (East Enders Ronnie Mitchell) apparently lived on QE2 with her Grandmother for a while

Returning to TV, so she's in the papers again;

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/fashion-beauty/418315/Mum-on-the-run-Samantha-Womack-on-returning-to-EastEnders
Full Away on Passage.