Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers  (Read 46903 times)

KEV

Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers
« on: Mar 14, 2009, 10:45 PM »
Lots of famous people have graced the decks of QE2 and many are listed (perhaps there is a link somewhere).Here's some I'm sure most people know for starters- The Queen,Princess Diana, Nelson Mandela, Buzz Aldrin,Rod Stewart. Out of general interest which famous person and when was on your cruise/crossing? I expect some join in more than others who prefer privacy, after all everyone deserves a holiday and some peace and quiet I always remember as a kid seeing one of  my boyhood heroes Henry Cooper with his kids on holiday in Devon and whilst my initial thought was to say hello my dad quite rightly said not to bother him as he was on holiday and deserved his privacy- I respected that decision and learnt a lot from it. Don't want to hear any bad comments as don't want any litigation!
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 01:15 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

Re: Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:15 PM »
We had Terry Waite. I think thats the correct spelling.
Im free...

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:14 PM »
On the August 12-22nd 2008 cruise we had the pleasure of Lembit Opek (sp?) although not sure if he counts as a celebrity?

For those blissfully unaware, Lib Dem MP and occasional appearances in the tabloids / gossip mags due to an earlier romance / engagement with one of the 'Cheeky Girls' (am i 'Friends of the Stars' or what?)

He made a slight ripple at our Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party when it was noted his female travelling compnaion was not in fact The Cheeky Girl in question!!  :o

He got what seemed to be preferential treatment on the day we were unable to get into Alghero. A few tenders were sent out to investigate - he was the only passenger on one of them and enjoyed waving to his adoring crowd of fans who had spotted him from the side windows on Pool Deck....
.....or rather one old lady who shouted "Lympic!! Lympic!" through the windows so loudly she spat her false teeth out in the process. (and me watching bemusedly while having a crafty smoke by the small room where the towel boys seemed to hang out and who captured his triumphant wavings on camera).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemalt_ali/3075736463/

He and his female companion got in the way of some of my pics in Lisbon:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemalt_ali/3076651692/

But karma does in fact work....
One evening (may have been night of the lunar eclipse? sure Rob can clarify?) it was a fab evening / night after dinner on deck outside the yacht club.
The female companion was shimmying down the portside steps from outside Yacht Club when she stumbled on her heels and fell all the way down; but luckily was caught by Lembit who was waiting at the bottom.

I must confess that the sight of it did make me expel my cocktail of choice back up through my nostrils in a sudden snort of laughter  ::)  :D

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread or not  ???  :-[

Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2009, 02:29 AM »
Great story and certainly a nice try Ali but I don't think old Limpit Toothpick or whatever he's called counts.  Most amusing recollection of the 'stumble' though, which certainly raised a smile lol ;D  Btw, didn't JSB have that old smoothie Desperate O'Connor come aboard for the final night alongside in Dubai?  Bit of a captiv(ated) audience that one lol!

Talking of desperate, on a previous cruise, Warren Smith was busily whipping the crowd into a frenzy with the news the World renowned comedic genius and all round entertainer extraordinaire, the 'littler' half of a UK double act from the 70s & 80s, would be wowing the crowds in the Grand Lounge following the bingo one evening!  As you can imagine, I was totally underwhelmed by the whole thing and could hardly contain myself to be honest yet despite the real struggle to resist the temptation, resist I did and I can't say my life is any the poorer for it to be honest  :)

That year, we were also meant to pick up Carol T at Gibraltar who was due to embark for the final leg back to Southampton, during which she would be signing her (then) new book. Unfortunately however, having broke down in Dubrovnik earlier in the cruise, we were running a day behind schedule so sailed right past without stopping.  She might still be there for all I know!

The most interesting person I have met aboard was our very own Chris Frame, who was giving presentations about QE2 and promoting his book.  Personally I can't be done with all the so-called ‘Celebrity’ nonsense and couldn't really care less if some (in)famous name or another might be sharing the cruise with me, for I don't know them nor particularly much care to be honest but give me a 'real' person, someone who I can relate to, then I'm interested.  Chatting to someone over dinner, meeting someone making their first cruise aboard or others who have returned many times is what I look forward to, as indeed I would were I to meet any of my fellow Forum members. 

Not always true of course but many a time someone has met their 'hero' only to come away feeling disappointed. As you rightly say Kev, everyone on holiday is entitled to their privacy.

Good post btw Kev.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009, 10:21 PM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Loads of famous people have been aboard QE2 over her reigning years but has Hattie Jacques been on her?
I know Sid James, Kenny Williams, Barbara Windsor, Wendy Richard and Frankie Howard has i was just wondering if Hattie had been on QE2.

Does anyone have a full list of QE2's famous passengers?

Offline Andy F

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:03 AM »
Shaun

No record of Hattie having travelled nor for that matter, Sid James or Kenneth Williams, although the others certainly have.  Check the following for a list of famous names who have travelled or visited QE2 http://www.cunard.co.uk/uploads/QE2FAMOUSFACES.pdf

KEV

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:10 AM »
I read Samantha Janus (East Enders Ronnie Mitchell) apparently lived on QE2 with her Grandmother for a while

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:21 AM »
Indeed she did Kev
 http://www.samanthajanus.com/

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:33 AM »
I listed Rita Moreno on this thread (https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,409.msg4399/topicseen.html#msg4399) but she doesn't appear on the Cunard Famous Faces list. 

Picture proof though.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08 AM »
Fair point Bob and clearly the list is not definitive

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 01:59 AM »
In all honesty, I have to say the most interesting person I have met while aboard, is our very own Chris Frame and the delightful Rachelle.  To meet someone who shares the same passion (ok Chris, I'll say it, obsession lol), was particularly refreshing and that's what interests me, not the so called 'celebrity' culture that seems to have brought fame and fortune to so many individuals in recent times, despite being devoid of any talent.  Personally, I can't be done with all that nonsense and couldn't really care less if some (in)famous name or another might be sharing the cruise with me, for I don't know them nor particularly much care to be honest but give me a 'real' person, someone who I can relate to (and I met 2 other authors during my most recent cruise, one particularly well-known I was later to discover), then I'm interested.  Chatting to someone over dinner, meeting someone making their first cruise aboard or others who have returned many times is what I look forward to, as indeed I would were I to meet any of my fellow Forum members. 

Very flattered Andy and thank you - it was wonderful to meet yourself and Mrs. F. aboard QE2. We met so many wonderful people aboard who shared our passion for QE2 - everyone was so grateful that we'd produced the book; it was very touching! I must say that Andy and Mrs. F's love and appreciation for QE2 as well as kindness towards us (both book and lecture related) were, for the rest of the voyage and remain to this day, a happy memory of what was a remarkable and unforgettable final cruise aboard QE2.

PS: I still don't understand why they loaded brand new deckchairs aboard in September...
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 11:53 PM »
Patsy Palmer was onboard 10 years ago. Patsy really spoke highly of QE2 glad she had a great time.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jbenoit/patsyspeaks.html

Also the bad guy that is of course J.R Ewing played by Larry Hagman sailed on QE2 aswell.

CC: You've had a lot of celebrity passengers over the years. Do you have a favorite?
CW: There's one man who sticks out in my mind more than the others and that was a chap called J.R., remember him? J.R. Ewing. Larry Hagman. This is going back a few years but he was the man women loved to hate in that "Dallas" thing. But he came onboard QE2 with his wife and daughter, and in real life he is totally the opposite. He was so generous with his time. He stopped and had millions of photos taken with strange females on his arm, and it was really nice to see.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=293

Also the late John Lennon talked to a friend about QE2 going to the Mersey.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1072271/Lennons-downfall-Had-touching-act-love-alive-today.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:57 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

KEV

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Interesting reading about John Lennon-of course we know the QE2 can go up the Mersey at least to The Cunard Building!
Did any Beatles sail on her?

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2009, 10:22 AM »
John Candy the actor,Carly Simon the singer,The Cure music band,David Platt-footballer,Yitzhak Rabin-politician.

I think thats all i can remember for now. :)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Has Michael Jackson ever sailed  on the QE2?

Quite a few singers have done over the years.

Offline Heather

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Greetings from the Queen Victoria (sorry!!).  I am onboard at the minute and can't stay away from this forum.  Am in the computer room at the minute.  Will get back to various questions that have been added to my topics when I return home.  the internet is so slow (but at least I can keep up with the gossip!).

Jimmy Saville is onboard this cruise to the Med.  He is walking about with his Final Voyage QE2 badge on (and I have my QE2 T shirts on).  Its amazing the number of people that stop and speak to you when you are wearing the T shirt!  I do have other clothes with me too!!

I am also a bit emotional as I see the beautiful paintings of our Grand Old QE2 all around this ship.  Its lovely to see that she will never be forgotten.

I have been on her over 40 times and although I love the QM2 and QV my favourite will always be the QE2.

Must dash and eat again!!

I will catch up with the other topics soon. 

Ship is moving a bit at present. 

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #16 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:37 PM »

Does anyone have a full list of QE2's famous passengers?

While searching for something else, as so often happens, I found this rather extensive list of famous faces :

http://www.cunard.com/uploads/QE2FAMOUSFACES.pdf

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2009, 02:20 PM »
I've just found out that Estelle Getty from The Golden Girls sailed on QE2.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2009, 08:32 AM »

Hi RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

There's a long list of people who have become well known
in the back of Carol Thatcher's book
'QE2 Forty Years Famous'

Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:19 PM »
On our trip, literally moments after boarding we were walking through one of the lounges - probably the midships lobby - to get to the forward observation deck when Murray Walker came past in the opposite direction!

Saw him several times over the next few days, but never once had the nerve to approach him ( I'm into Formula 1, by the way! ).

3½ months later, I get given his autobiography at Christmas and in it I read that he goes on lots of cruises and that he enjoys being recognised...  Missed my chance there, didn't I?!

Jim Bowen was the official entertainer on that trip.

Saw several other famous faces as well, I recall Su Pollard, David Nielsen and William Gaunt; no doubt there were a few others on board as well...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:35 PM »
This must have been an interesting table for each and every one of them! 
Did the Speakers / Lecturers usually sit all together at the same table?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-leveen/the-word-man-who-won-osca_b_489669.html
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2010, 06:38 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I can remember seeing the late actor Sir John Mills walking along the One Deck corridor in the mid 80s. I politely nodded in recognition of him and bade him a good morning. Great actor... I still enjoy watching his films.
Strangely, I saw him on another occasion in London at the Cromwell Hospital about 10 years later when I saw a consultant about my back problem.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

kgresham

« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:55 PM »
We had Jimmy Saville on both our trips. He's not really known in the US, but we learned all about him pretty quickly. :)

Offline bswan

« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2010, 10:58 AM »
She has hosted many famous faces, i never had the chance of seeing anyone whilst on her.

RmsAquitania

« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Think my favourite celeb that i met on board has to be Caroul Thatcher the woman is hillarious.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2010, 04:55 PM »
We had Jimmy Saville on both our trips. He's not really known in the US, but we learned all about him pretty quickly. :)

He certainly was easy to spot!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 10:18 AM »
1969 - Ringo Starr and Peter Sellers mentioned here!
http://www.triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/beatles/petersellers2.shtml

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Here's Sharon Tate.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44863601@N00/4492800611/

Not many people realize that Miss Tate's voyage back to the US on QE2 was shortly before her tragic death.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 03:40 PM »
1969 - Ringo Starr and Peter Sellers mentioned here!
http://www.triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/beatles/petersellers2.shtml

John Lennon and Yoko Ono were also booked on this crossing.  Only the US State Dept's refusal to grant Lennon a visa prevented it.   John and Yoko were actually enroute to Southampton to board QE2 when word came that John did not get his visa.  They were going to helicopter to LeHavre to join QE2 should the visa come after QE2 departed Soton, but alas it didn't.  John and Yoko planned to hold one of their famous bed-ins on QE2, cabin 1050, and a documentary film crew was hired to film it.  Upon arrival in NY, John planned to sing A Song of Peace over the tannoy.
Oh what an amazing bit of QE2 history had John not had issues with the US bureaucracy.
Ringo was in 2081, not sure where Peter Sellers was.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 08:55 AM »
While searching for something else, as so often happens, I found this rather extensive list of famous faces :

http://www.cunard.com/uploads/QE2FAMOUSFACES.pdf

More recently (I think!), Cunard have added a page
It contains another good long list...

'Ever since Prince Charles became her first guest more than 30 years ago, Queen Elizabeth 2 hosted more famous faces than any other ship in service. It is a litany of names almost too long to list, but we've tried.' 

http://www.cunard.co.uk/AboutCunard/default.asp?Active=Heritage&Sub=Famous

Thinking about Maritime Authors - 
and others who have signed their books on board....
Chris Frame and Rachelle Cross,
John Maxtone-Grahame,

Are there any other famous Travellers and/ or Great Achievers?

Would it be an idea to think here about Guest Speakers too?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:25 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Interesting list; methinks two of the "gaps" needing adding to the "stage and screen" section are William Gaunt and Su Pollard....

"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Thinking about Maritime Authors - 
and others who have signed their books on board....
Chris Frame and Rachelle Cross,
John Maxtone-Grahame,

Would it be an idea to think here about Guest Speakers too?

Bill Miller was a QE2 regular.
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 06:03 PM »
More recently (I think!), Cunard have added a page
It contains another good long list...

'Ever since Prince Charles became her first guest more than 30 years ago, Queen Elizabeth 2 hosted more famous faces than any other ship in service. It is a litany of names almost too long to list, but we've tried.' 

Hey, I've been on TV, where's my name?

Cunard needs to do some editing...  The Queen is listed as "travelled" and "not travelled".  Did Diana and Prince Edward actually sail on QE2?  I didn't think so.

Strangely not listed is Jeremy Irons, who starred in the miniseries "Brideshead Revisited" and partly filmed on QE2.
Robbie Coltrane was on one of my crossings.
James Cagney crossed on QE2, but is not listed, and I believe Glenn Close also.

The cast of The Brady Bunch tv series crossed on QE2.  I'm not sure if The Brady Bunch is known outside the US, but it's an icon of 1970s American pop culture.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Hey, I've been on TV, where's my name?

Cunard needs to do some editing...  The Queen is listed as "travelled" and "not travelled".  Did Diana and Prince Edward actually sail on QE2?  I didn't think so.....

Kyle - You should come at the top of the list - as one of the the most famous posters-of-best pics and other things on the Forum - never mind TV appearances!

The Queen did travel on board QE2 for the Spithead review, I think!
(I'll check the ref!)

And Rob Lightbody: Founder of The QE2 Story 1994
Doesn't he need to be on the List?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:23 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Kyle - You should come at the top of the list - as one of the the most famous posters-of-best pics and other things on the Forum - never mind TV appearances!

The Queen did travel on board QE2 for the Spithead review, I think!
(I'll check the ref!)

And Rob Lightbody: Founder of The QE2 Story 1994
Doesn't he need to be on the List?
Oh you're too kind   ;)
Yes, technically HM the Queen did "travel", but they have her listed as both travelled and not travelled...  At first it looked odd, but now I see they're refering to all her visits to the ship when she didn't travel. 

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Oh you're too kind   ;)

Ummm - maybe not so much kind ;) - just a wee bit curious!!
So go on, Kyle - tell us, 'Where were you on QE2 when the tv cameras were busy?'
Being 'Stowaway', s'pose it could have been anywhere!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:09 PM by Twynkle »

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 08:46 PM »
More recently (I think!), Cunard have added a page. It contains another good long list...

If the page was added recently, the information contained in it may not be all that recent...

Prince Charles was QE2's first guest on 19 November 1968... But of course, now that I think about it, that is indeed more than 30 years ago.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Did Diana and Prince Edward actually sail on QE2?  I didn't think so.

Diana did sail but not for long on QE2 when she returned from her big refit in 1987 . On 29th QE2 sailed down the solent with a large party of school kids on board. Diana was onboard. So yes she did sail, but not for that long. Then she was whisked away by helicopter.  The lucky few sailed away on the new QE2 to New York ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Jem

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 04:39 AM »
Here's Sharon Tate.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44863601@N00/4492800611/
My Dad and Mum knew her through my  Mum working on the Hollywood Reporter when we lived in LA 66-71. Really sad when she was murdered by Manson :(

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 12:16 PM »
As Kyle mentioned, Robbie Coltrane was on the last winter crossing, January 2008, as was I.  I will not forget this since I ran into him after watching a Harry Potter movie in the theater, which I did not make it through to the end....a combination of comfy seats, very warm temperature, and jet lag catching up to me.  Robbie was onboard with his son and he looks much smaller in person than in the Potter movies.  ;)
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Snapped whilst waiting to disembark QV in NY - Robbie on his balcony.

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #42 on: Jun 15, 2010, 09:45 PM »
Not on QE2 when I was on, but when we cruised on Caronia (now Saga Ruby) my late grandad was adamant that Barry Humphreys was onboard as he saw someone that looked a bit like him and my grandad was looking forward to him putting on his famous acts as part of the showtime. Needless to say it never happened and also that it probably wasn't Barry after all.

When I was on QM2 we had Jimmy Saville onboard as we sailed up past Scarborough on her maiden voyage to Scotland and the Norwegian fjords in July 2004.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Offline Bren

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I was on-board with Jackie and Sunny Mann in the 90s.  What I really liked was that when we docked in Gib an RAF car collected them from the Quay and took them to the RAF Officers Mess.  I was told that the QE2 Captain had contacted the RAF...

Jackie was signing his book on-board and it is with deep regret that I did obtain this...

Offline Rod

« Reply #44 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I was the Officer in charge of the launch that picked up Princess DI,,,"from an undisclosed location" to take her to the QE2. Lovely Lady...out of her depth, but extremely likable. She made it a point to thank ALL of the boat crew, even those standing station fore and aft. Great loss to humanity!

Offline Rod

« Reply #45 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:39 PM »
AND do not forget the MUPPETS!
They were carried over to the UK in the hold.
These are the facts folks!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Nov 09, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Sir Jimmy Saville, a major UK Celebrity for many decades (if you're over 30 years old anyway) and a lifelong QE2 fan and regular passenger, was buried today.  I certainly have very strong memories of him from when I was a child, he was a major TV and radio celebrity then, and never disappeared from view.

On my visits to the Queens in Greenock on the past couple of years, I only asked the first time why, when passing one cabin in particular, I could smell cigar smoke!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15647363

Reflecting his love of the sea, he has chosen -

Quote from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15647363
His body will be set at an angle of 45-degrees at a cemetery in Scarborough "to enable him to see the sea", funeral director Robert Morphet said.

RIP Jimmy.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Pat Curry

« Reply #47 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:36 PM »

RIP Jimmy.
He and Jim Bowen, both very regularly on QE2 were the only two entertainers (as far as I know) who were made honourary members of the Fo'c's'le Club.  Though I never met them there (our cruises never coincided) both were very popular with crew.

PS: anyone noticed this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forecastle  (bottom pic) 
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2011, 08:55 PM by Queet-two »

Offline Rod

« Reply #48 on: Nov 10, 2011, 12:22 AM »
29th April 1987 A charity function onboard QE2. Prior the departure of the NEW QE2 to New York

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
Thats me in pic 2 standing over watching he disembarq

Offline peter ward

« Reply #49 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Rita Moreno did travel on the QE2 but she was actually working doing cabaret . I know as I was the steward who looked after her in the TOW. along with joe loss and his bad and several minor celebs ..including paul melba the impressionist and the Inkspots !
peter

Offline peter ward

« Reply #50 on: Nov 10, 2011, 10:12 AM »
I was on embarkation duty one time ,two deck foyer amidships ,when I was given a bunch of flowers to deliver to a stateroom on two deck aft somewhere ...so I set off down two deck and spotted a bedroom stewardess at  a cabin door .
not knowing where my delivery was to go I stopped to ask ,as I did the cabin door opened and there stood danny la rue  (the drag queen did you know he used to be a steward on the old queens ) then from underneath his arm (he was quite tall) or so its seems appeared wayne sleep the dancer who on spotting the flowers said ' oooooh are they for me ' whereupon I said no they are not and made my way aft !!
peter

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #51 on: Nov 10, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Rita Moreno did travel on the QE2 but she was actually working doing cabaret . I know as I was the steward who looked after her in the TOW. along with joe loss and his bad and several minor celebs ..including paul melba the impressionist and the Inkspots !

Rita performing in the Double Down Room in June 1977 - https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,281.msg5032.html#msg5032

Quick observation, Pete.   If you looked after her in the TOW, that would have been 1978 or after as it was still the Britannia Restaurant in 1977 when the above referenced photo was taken.  That would also mean that Rita traveled on QE2 more than once - the lady has good taste!
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2011, 12:57 PM by Bob C. »

Offline peter ward

« Reply #52 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:08 PM »
hi bob, actually I think it was 1979 ,it was the first time we had been to china and joe loss performed there. rita was (is she still with us ?) a great lady , she had no airs and graces and was more at home with the crew.. So it must've been the tables of the world by then .......but time blur's your memory so I can't be 100% sure.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2011, 07:57 PM by peter ward »
peter

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:23 AM »
On November 17th,
Mr Eric Flounders has written about Sir Jimmy Savile

http://wearecunard.com/2011/11/as-it-happened/
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2011, 12:53 PM by Twynkle »

« Reply #54 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Sugar Ray Leonard (the champion boxer) as a passenger, in a boxing match with Steve Sinclair (a crew member and waiter on the QE2) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=F8h0boyLcJk&nomobile=1

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #55 on: Nov 10, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Unless I saw that video, I would have never believed there was ever a boxing match, especially involving Sugar Ray, in the Double Room/Grand Lounge.  Great find!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #56 on: Nov 10, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Off at a bit of a tangent here, but Cunard's boxing waiters are nothing new (remember Big John Prescott's jab at the bloke who threw the egg a few years back ::) ).

If you get a chance, check out the film "Al's Lads" (released as "Capone's Boys" in the U.S). It's set in the 1920s and concerns the adventures of a bunch of waiters on the Mauretania who jump ship in New York and end up working for Al Capone. I can't claim it's a great bit of cinema, but it does show waiters boxing for the entertainment of passengers. And, for any Scousers amongst you, there's the added fun of playing "spot the location" of the New York and Chicago scenes.
Full Away on Passage.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #57 on: Nov 10, 2012, 05:04 PM »
And lets not forget the classic scenes in Fast Boat to China when Alan Whicker dispels the myths of waiters being limp wristed (his words not mine) as they get involved in a boxing match in l believe Pattaya....Mindyou these were ashore and not onboard. Im sure onboard has seen various forms of boxing as well  ;)

Offline Rod

« Reply #58 on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Jack Humphries, QE2's "Donkeyman for many years, used to earn a bit of extra cash when he was on the cargo boats that would wait for 2-4 weeks for cargoes. he would enter the "Golden Gloves" competitions along the east coast of the US. Did pretty well. Stood him in good stead when discipline was achieved through muscle.
When an Assistant Mechanic, that I "logged" threatened me with bodily harm....Jack took care of it! A/M looked like he had been through 10 rounds with Ali!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #59 on: Aug 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I read Samantha Janus (East Enders Ronnie Mitchell) apparently lived on QE2 with her Grandmother for a while

Returning to TV, so she's in the papers again;

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/fashion-beauty/418315/Mum-on-the-run-Samantha-Womack-on-returning-to-EastEnders
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Tony

« Reply #60 on: Aug 06, 2013, 06:10 AM »
I remember Jim Bowen on the first "cruise to nowhere".
It was a two night trip down the solent and back. He did a game show in the lounge. Rod Stewart and Britt Eklund together in 87 I think as well.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #61 on: Aug 13, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Now that the Cunard website no longer has the celebrity passenger list available for QE2, these are the ones I can remember from my time aboard.

Lord Patrick Lichfield
George C Scott
Charlton Heston
Anthony Hopkins
Max Bygraves
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Jack Clugman (Quincy)
Loretta Switt (Mash)
Johny Winter (Blues-Rock Guitarist)
Reg Varney

I'm sure I must have seen others but that's all I can remember at the moment.

My Sister, who started working aboard as a photographer in '77 said that Dom Delouise was quite a regular visitor to the darkroom in early '78 though sadly I never met him. I was a big fan of his in all the Mel Brooks films.

Photo of me with Lord Lichfield.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2014, 04:48 PM by Alan Snelson »
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline frazscot

« Reply #62 on: Aug 22, 2013, 11:51 AM »
I have just read with interest that John Lennon & Yoko Ono intended to hold one of their 'Bed In's " on the QE2 in Cabin 1050.    I have had the pleasure of staying in No's 1039 , 1024 and 1030 and I have often wondered if anyone of note has ever occupied any of those.
Regards,
Fraser Ballantyne

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #63 on: Aug 22, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Fact of the day Fraser!

Can you say where you read it please?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #64 on: Aug 22, 2013, 07:21 PM »
I have just read with interest that John Lennon & Yoko Ono intended to hold one of their 'Bed In's " on the QE2 in Cabin 1050.    I have had the pleasure of staying in No's 1039 , 1024 and 1030 and I have often wondered if anyone of note has ever occupied any of those.
Regards,
Fraser Ballantyne

This is one of the good reasons why, to me, these very lovely suites should be retained in a Hotel QE2.  We have the means to do research to find which celebrities stayed in which suites and they could be named and numbered as such.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #65 on: Sep 01, 2013, 01:11 PM »
John Lennon and Yoko Ono were also booked on this crossing.  Only the US State Dept's refusal to grant Lennon a visa prevented it.   John and Yoko were actually enroute to Southampton to board QE2 when word came that John did not get his visa.  They were going to helicopter to LeHavre to join QE2 should the visa come after QE2 departed Soton, but alas it didn't.  John and Yoko planned to hold one of their famous bed-ins on QE2, cabin 1050, and a documentary film crew was hired to film it.  Upon arrival in NY, John planned to sing A Song of Peace over the tannoy.
Oh what an amazing bit of QE2 history had John not had issues with the US bureaucracy.
Ringo was in 2081, not sure where Peter Sellers was.

Full Away on Passage.

Offline Louis Betti

« Reply #66 on: Oct 18, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Gee, no mention of George Kennedy?

He was aboard August 1992, on the "QE2 on the rocks cruise", and it was my first QE2 cruise too!

He did a lecture one day and fielded questions. Very low key, almost shy, unlike the characters he had played in countless movies.

As we started evacuating the ship the next day, of course Grill passengers were first off (some things never change!). I saw George boarding a tender, but at a good distance, and was almost tempted to shout out, "Hey, Joe Patroni, if you got that 707 moving, do something for this ship!"

That comment refers to the movie "Airport" of 1971.

We also had Kris Kristofferson performing on another cruise, did some singing and such, but then he went into a lot of politically "liberal" comments. The audience as NOT happy! We walked out, and he got some boos too!

Oh yeah, the late Lou Rawls, how could I almost forget! A great singing talent, performed in the Grand Lounge, and we later met him around the piano bar in the old Yacht Club. A real gentleman; what a voice.

If you consider them celebrities, there's also John Maxtone Graham and Bill Miller, but they fall into a different category of celebrity.

baltaogc

« Reply #67 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:40 PM »
I have searched for a long list of Celebs that traveled ( often free or reduced fee in exchange for shows I heard) but have not found. Apologies if this is already posted as it states it is from a Cunard website but I have stumbled across a long long list  posted in 2005 so apart from your viewing pleasure I link it so I know where to find it again :)  So here it is

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002994

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #68 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Thanks for posting the link Gary.  The information on celebrities onboard QE2 is a good addition to this topic.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #69 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:11 PM »
That is a very useful link Gary.

Cunard has removed all mention of QE2 from their website which is where the list you link to seems to have come from. Although the list is by no means complete it would be a great shame to loose all of this information, there are also many more names in this topic that are not on the list.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

baltaogc

« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Lynda and Alan your both most welcome and I have copied and pasted the list in Word and emailed to myself as a further double back up in case this link disappears in the future as well :)

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #71 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:19 PM »
I remember saying 'Good Morning' to the actor Sir John Mills once in the 1980s.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #72 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:27 PM »
It really would be very good to add to the list.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

baltaogc

« Reply #73 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:16 AM »
It may be nice to link some sites that show who these Celebs are as younger persons may not remember/know.

http://www.kingofthemusic.com/index.php/bio/touring-for-the-troops

Lionel Blair and fashion 1969
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/fashion-on-the-q-e-2/query/ballets

Lots of videos circa 1969//may have found a gem on the Pathe News site  Thanks Pathe

http://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/qe2

Bert Weedon 1988 
http://www.bertweedon.com/6thmarch1988.html

more on his site with Count Baisy and others on the QE2 1972

http://www.bertweedon.com/bert+cbasie.htm

http://www.bertweedon.com/features.htm

Will start the ball rolling

Offline George C Griffiths

« Reply #74 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:28 AM »
In the year 2007 we had Flight Lieutenant John Nichol on board - and we had the pleasure of meeting him many times - in addition to attending his lectures. He also very kindly agreed to my filming a "private" interview of him by my 10 years old niece in the Lido one evening! We dined in the Queens Grill and so did he - so we met often. Here is a picture of him with me.

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

« Reply #75 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Whilst on board I remember going to a lecture with John Maxtone Graham which was brilliant and afterwards I bought his book 'The Only Way to Cross' which I still have.  I think the most memorable lecture I ever attended on board though was a chap called Hermes Pan (what a name!) who was Fred Astaire's choreographer.  It was absolutely fascinating and he had some wonderful footage of him dancing with Astaire, most notably in a routine called 'me and the ghost upstairs'.  Fantastic stuff.

Other than those two the only other 'celebrities' who were on board whilst I was travelling was Russell Grant and Bobby Crush (of Opportunity Knocks infamy).  Not something I got that excited about to be honest!  Otherwise I can only remember dad mentioning Julie Andrews being on board but don't know if that was QE2 or perhaps old QE.  He said she swore like a trooper which was a bit of a surprise to everyone.  I think the  favourite person he met was Harry Worth the comedian (again not sure if this was QE2 or another ship) - they hit it off quite well apparantly and can imagine that as probably sense of humour was up my dad's street.

I also have Neil Armstrong's autograph dedicated to dad on some Cunard Countess notepaper from when his wife launched the ship back in 1976.  Not sure if dad spoke to him much though beyond getting him to sign the paper.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #76 on: Jan 25, 2014, 02:02 PM »
I like what Buzz Aldrin wrote in the Visitors Book in 1997...

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #77 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:37 AM »
and Bobby Crush (of Opportunity Knocks infamy).  Not something I got that excited about to be honest!       

Gosh l remember him from a Med cruise in 88,..3 femail friends on that cruise were at great pains to advise me to watch out for his "keyboard" :-X and to think he "came out" 16 years later..

Then again there was (Commander) Gordon Honeycombe :D from TVAM and Frankie Howard ;D along with Clair Reynor :( and Lional Blair ;D. what i found interesting was how they were so different from what they appear on screen. Frankie Howard l met in the yacht club, and Lional Blair went up in my estimations at the Hotel Managers party, in London afterwards he recognised me outside The Ritz as the "QE2 postman..." it was for me a very memorable cruise meeting famous faces... and there was Mr Saville... and Vince Hill 

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #78 on: Jan 27, 2014, 02:03 PM »
It is great to hear The Forum members celebrity stories and of course about the greatest celebrity, our QE2 herself. 

« Reply #79 on: Jan 27, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Anyone remember Martin McNair cooking on QE2? I must admit this is the first time I hear of this celebrity chef :

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/10965219.Rock_star_chef_Martin_McNair_s_seasonal_cooking_tips/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #80 on: Sep 01, 2014, 02:32 PM »
1972 - David Bowie sailed on board QE2!
Here's an account, it includes a lovely image of the ship.
https://bowiesattva.wordpress.com/tag/david-bowie-1972-us-tour/

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #81 on: Sep 02, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Yes, indeed, Rosie.  The article contains a beautiful image of our QE2.  Thanks for sharing !

June   :)

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #82 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Thanks for posting Rosie.

Slightly off topic but I find it very sad to look at the QE2 today compared to how she was all those years ago. Even the name QE2 was glamorous and think of all the famous people that used to travel on her.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers
« Reply #83 on: Sep 08, 2014, 07:24 AM »

Slightly off topic but I find it very sad to look at the QE2 today compared to how she was all those years ago. Even the name QE2 was glamorous and think of all the famous people that used to travel on her.

This is also slightly off topic, but we met Kim Novak from Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo on QM2. We got to take our photo with her.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2014, 07:34 AM by Hank Hargrove »
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #84 on: Sep 08, 2014, 07:25 AM »

And yes, the QE2 was and is an icon.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #85 on: Sep 08, 2014, 03:38 PM »
This is also slightly off topic, but we met Kim Novak from Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo on QM2. We got to take our photo with her.

The difference with QE2 and her predecessors, versus the current fleet, is that many celebrities paid to be on board in the old days, whereas now they mostly seem to be paid to be there...

Offline Dave Lowing

« Reply #86 on: Sep 08, 2014, 03:57 PM »
I remember Sir Jackie Stewart, I have his autograph on a 5 pound note.
Spike Milligan, I met him 2 deck, G stairway and had a brief chat with him.
Dickie Henderson, his autograph on a one dollar bill.
Count Basie
Carly Simon
Frankie Howerd

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #87 on: Sep 08, 2014, 07:11 PM »

The difference with QE2 and her predecessors, versus the current fleet, is that many celebrities paid to be on board in the old days, whereas now they mostly seem to be paid to be there...

Probably so.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #88 on: Sep 08, 2014, 10:52 PM »

Back in the day the QE2 was the 'place to be seen' I'm sure. ;)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #89 on: Sep 11, 2014, 06:58 PM »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #90 on: Sep 11, 2014, 09:27 PM »
*resists the obvious comment about the Carnival management*

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #91 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:45 PM »
I have a program (purchased on eBay) for a performance in the Queens Room by Robert Merrill, Star of the Metropolitan Opera. 

Unfortunately there is not a date on the program, but I have found this link to Google News Archive Search where details are given about a cruise where he was performing. 

Sunday Star News 12 August 1990 article about Public Radio sponsoring a 12 day classical music cruise onboard QE2 from 7-19 January 1991. Stars such as Robert Merrill and pianist Victor Borge are mentioned in the article.

Page 42 of 74 "Public Radio to cruise"
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19900812&id=bd0yAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_hMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5087,4595475

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #92 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:33 PM »
'It is said that, over the years, the QE2 has had more facelifts than
'Liz Taylor, who once famously drove aboard her in a white Rolls-Royce'.

From the Telegraph 27.6.2008 "QE2: Farewell to the last great liner" by Gavin Bell
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/luxury/2204603/QE2-Farewell-to-the-last-great-liner.html

The quote in italics (mine!),  do you think this is, or could be true?

Online Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #93 on: Jan 17, 2015, 12:28 PM »
 1977-87 heres a few I met, Rod Stewart, Keith Richards, Max Bygraves, Harry Secombe, Patrick Moore, Buzz Aldrin, The entire Keith Fletcher MCC Team in Sri Lanka, ie David Gower, Botham, Derek Underwood, Aggers, Henry Blofeld etc, Percy Thrower, Judith Chalmers, Larry Hagman, Duke Duchess Bedford, Frankie Howerd, Bertice Reading, I shared a bed with Ernie Wise, (well sitting on same bed at a cabin party), Paul Newman, Billy Joel, Harry Nilsson, Ludovic Kennedy Moira Shearer, Kate Adie, Vincent Price, and I got stuck in a lift with Danny La Rue.

« Reply #94 on: Jan 17, 2015, 12:39 PM »
What an extraordinary mix! Few people could equal that I am sure...

Were most of them passengers, or were they guest speakers / entertainers?

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #95 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Lorna Dallas, Harry Secombe, Bertice Reading, Max Bygraves, Frankie Vaughan, Petula Clark, Stan Stennet, Jim Bowen, Jimmy Tarbuck, Jimmy Saville, Coronation Street cast, Paul Daniels, Debbie McGhie, Gerrard Kenny, Des O'Connor, & Les Dennis to name but a few that we met over the years.

I was fortunate to purchase an autograph book from someone whose mother was on the Pacific circle cruise, (Fast Boat to China) and there's a wealth of famous autographs in it - a real gem.

Offline PaulInuk

• passenger and crew at sametime
  • Mauretania Diner (Late Sitting)
« Reply #96 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:15 AM »
you see mr waite in the town sometimes
paul

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #97 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:25 PM »

Hi RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

There's a long list of people who have become well known
in the back of Carol Thatcher's book
'QE2 Forty Years Famous'

Rosie

I REMEMBER HER ON A CRUISE, I FORGOT WHICH cruise
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2015, 12:27 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
paul

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #98 on: Feb 05, 2016, 04:17 PM »
We had an email from a guest who was looking for information in relation to autographs from a QE2 August 2002 Transatlantic crossing. 

I recently obtained some old memorabilia from the QE2 cruise in August 2002 from Southampton to NY and included were some autographs and photos of I assume 'celebs' engaged to cruise the waves and make people happy with autographs.   Is there any resource of who might of been on that cruise as 'celebrities' to please passengers.  One signature is 'Reggie' another Elizabeth Very/Vern/Vemi?? and Saisaen/Daisaen/Dailaen Kux/Knox?? er Jimmy Savile was on board too...

Can you find out at all or ask your members?

Any information much appreciated.

It was good to hear that through the power of internet search she found out that the signatures were from Coronation Street Actors (see below) who were onboard QE2.  However it would be interesting to know if anyone else was onboard this August 2002 cruise and if they have any memories of the actors being onboard. 

Hi
many thanks however i have now solved it as thought i would try googling what the names appeared to be............doh..............now if i watched Coronation St it would be a no brainer rather than being an Eastenders fan....
The autographs along with photos of the event were;
Barbara Knox (Rita Sullivan) what a weird 'B' !!!!  Saisaen really???
Liz Dawn ..the 'Elizabeth' and she put (Vera) in brackets for Vera Duckworth
Reggie...we found based on the above and matched 'Reggie Holdsworth' with his photo so Ken Morley who didnt sign as himself strangely....

So in August 2002 some Corrie cast were taking a break...and Jimmy Savile is on the back of  a Cunard Club Cocktail Party on the QE2 for 4th May (no year) but perhaps we wont ask who remembers what year he sailed...

What would we do without the internet and google...
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #99 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:19 PM »
  We had an email from a guest who was looking for information in relation to autographs from a QE2 August 2002 Transatlantic crossing. 

Who can forget when some of the Coronation Street took to the sea on QE2 in 1995..and the video that was made exclusively for that.
and not forgetting the connection with TV Times magazine and their Cruise with the Stars.

Offline GJ

« Reply #100 on: Jun 28, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Sugar Ray Leonard (the champion boxer) as a passenger, in a boxing match with Steve Sinclair (a crew member and waiter on the QE2) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=F8h0boyLcJk&nomobile=1
we were talking about this the other night   My mate was a waiter on board at the time ,   Thomas herns was on board as well i was told ,   I seen many photos of famous people including   President bush snr  and barbra ,  mandela , carly simon,   Kojak  :D    shirly bassy  tony curtis   The list is endles some i was told went incognito   Some liked to be seen  steve sinclair lives in blackpool  i think

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #101 on: Aug 05, 2016, 06:38 PM »
David Bowie sailed on QE2 a few times during my time as Ch Security Officer on either a West bound or East bound 'trannie'! Each time the routine was the same in that i was required to meet him shoreside, escort him through all boarding procedures on to the ship and then escort him to his cabin.
Each time he was the most polite person you could wish to meet, he initially kept himself to himself then, after a couple of days, would be seen wandering around the ship chatting to fellow passengers but never being pushy or 'pompous. He would also always attend the Hotel Manager's Cocktail party in the Yacht Club, where i'm sure many of the other guests didn't even recognise him or realise who he was.

To link in with another subject on this forum, he was sailing on the Eastbound Trannie when the two Filipino Engineers were scolded.
Some weeks later he joined QE2 in S'ton for a Westbound Trannie and enquired as to there welfare, On being informed that sadly, one of them had passed away, he requested the Social Host visit him during the crossing, whereby he gave a sizeable donation to the fund set up to help the families of the two lads. This was certainly not general knowledge outside of a few people but, now that he has also passed on i think it is a fact of his personality that should be in the public domain.

Andy

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2017, 11:35 AM by Andy Holloway »

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #102 on: Oct 30, 2016, 12:21 PM »
I remember carol thatcher onboard I forgot which cruise

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #103 on: Oct 30, 2016, 11:17 PM »
I recall being OIC Embarkation on the quayside at NY one time, with all the Commis Waiters lined up to carry pax hand baggage and guide them to their cabins. Spike Milligan accompanied by Clement Freud arrive. Spike wanders down the line as if 'Inspecting Officer' on parade: telling a Commis here to straighten his tie, another to polish his buttons, another to shine his shoes and so on. He had them all in stitches. A naturally funny man. Freud looked glum, impatient and glowered at all. In fact he was the most dour man all cruise.

Yes we had many 'celebrities' travel, but they were mainly of the showbiz, sporting variety.

But, my fondest memory was of having a drink with Salvador Dali in the Midships Bar one transatlantic. I had always been in awe of his work and count it as an honour to have shared a bottle with the man.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2016, 12:05 AM by Boris »

Offline Cunard NYO

« Reply #104 on: Dec 30, 2016, 03:12 AM »
having worked in NYO 76-86 , There are so many to list that were passengers aboard our QE2.  The most noteworthy I  remember were James Cagney who sailed with  Pat O'Brien , Joan Rivers, Carroll O'Connor who sailed with his friend,Burgess Meredith, Carly Simon sailed with James Taylor and their family together at the time,Bowie , The Mamas and Papas with families....countless others I have to look up in my logbooks.

It was a special time then.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #105 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:04 AM »
Thanks for the information, it would be good to hear about more celebrities that sailed on QE2
www.qe2event.com

Offline nyanks1

« Reply #106 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:39 AM »
I was on board while the following peformed/lectured:
Rita Moreno
Victor Borge
Tommy Tune
Alan King
David Brenner
Terence Stamp
Julia Childs
Bill Miller
And Barbara Walters was simply a passenger

« Reply #107 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:17 AM »
Rita Moreno
Victor Borge
Tommy Tune
Alan King
David Brenner
Terence Stamp
Julia Childs
Bill Miller

I wonder who they were... :-\

Were they interesting people to have on board?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #108 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:24 AM »
having worked in NYO 76-86 , There are so many to list that were passengers aboard our QE2.  The most noteworthy I  remember were James Cagney who sailed with  Pat O'Brien , Joan Rivers, Carroll O'Connor who sailed with his friend,Burgess Meredith, Carly Simon sailed with James Taylor and their family together at the time,Bowie , The Mamas and Papas with families....countless others I have to look up in my logbooks.

It was a special time then.

Hi CunardNYO and Welcome!

Thank you so much for this!
Just as a matter of interest, was it necessary / possible to keep the identity of VIPs confidential whilst they were on board?
If they weren't staying in the grand 'suites' - then maybe it was much more difficult??
For example, to keep the secret, did they use Crew elevators etc
Not long ago Ed Sherran was on board QM2 - the news only got out after he and his 'team' left - he'd been able to use one of the big 'lounges' on deck one as a studio! What you might call a working holiday...

Also - (and Off Topic) - a bit!!
Were you able to work in that magnificent building, 25 Broadway?
All the best, and Happy New Year!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #109 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Rita Moreno
Victor Borge
Tommy Tune
Alan King
David Brenner
Terence Stamp
Julia Childs
Bill Miller

Hi nyanks1 and Welcome!
How lucky for the Passengers to hear All these VIPs as 'The Entertainers'!
Bill Miller - did he play in the Golden Lion as well as in the Theatre or Queens Room?
I loved Victor Borge too - Did you by any chance ever hear Tom Lehrer too?
As a matter of interest, did you ever get to hear them play?

Wasn't Julia Child famous for recipes and cooking / cook-books?
And Terence Stamp - a fantastic actor, and heart throb - (Sorry, I'm getting older by the minute!!)

It would be great to hear more about life on board, just wondering where you might have been working?
Thanks so much for posting - and if you have time to have a look round here, you might find other old colleagues too!

Offline CasinoChris

« Reply #110 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:12 PM »
OK, I've got a good one for you..... Bela Bartok, well his corpse! In 1988 his remains were returned from the USA to hungary on the QE2, basically in a large black box that spent the voyage inside one of the shell door access-ways on 5 deck, right next to the Casino cabins, really creeped out the croupiers!!
Telly Savalas was a favourite customer in the Casino, always a gentlemen.
When Carly Simon was onboard for the QE2 premier showing of 'Working Girl' she was signing autographs outside the Theater,
our manager asked if she would like a cuppa, so we took her into the staff breakroom behind the Casino Bar. Before handing over the 'cuppa' he demanded 12 autographed photos for the staff....she gave him a grin and complied!!

« Reply #111 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:59 PM »
OK, I've got a good one for you..... Bela Bartok, well his corpse! In 1988 his remains were returned from the USA to hungary on the QE2, basically in a large black box that spent the voyage inside one of the shell door access-ways on 5 deck, right next to the Casino cabins, really creeped out the croupiers!!

That is quite amazing... just shows the huge respect in which QE2 was held. I wonder did he ever travel on her while alive...

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #112 on: Jan 27, 2017, 03:15 AM »
Anyone remember Arthur Negus and Lady Isobel Barnet? (Attached courtesy of Southern Evening Echo: Tuesday 21 Sep 1976)

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #113 on: Jan 27, 2017, 04:38 PM »
I wonder did he ever travel on her while alive...

Not if he died in 1945!  :)

He could have sailed on the Queen Mary or, more likely, Mauretania, Aquitania or Berengaria.

Offline Beau Gielen

Young Couple winning a trip of a lifetime on the QE2
« Reply #114 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Hi, my name is Beau Gielen and this is my story and connection with the QE2.

In 2001, Lucy Dicker my beautiful girlfriend took me to the Caulfield Cup horse races in Melbourne Australia where we live.

Lucy borrowed a dress from J’aton Couture a dress maker who Lucy often did modeling with and asked me if I would like to go to the races…

We arrived at Caulfield Racecourse and it wasn't long until Lucy grabbed a lot of attention that I was definitely not used to. We had a Camera Crew asking if we could pretend that we where looking at the race guide booklet. And Photographers wanting to take photos.
This was all new to me and I was really taken back by the attention in my beautiful girlfriend Lucy Dicker.

Lucy entered fashions on the field that day for fun and I remember Steve Visard and Lillian Frank were two of the three judges….
I was cheering on Lucy..shouting out “Number 21” “Number 21” and enjoying my Beverage.

Lucy made it to the finals. She really looked amazing on stage and stood out among the rest… I believe it was Suzie Wilkes from channel 9 that announced that Number 21 was the winner! I couldn’t believe it..next thing I’m in this marquee with many celebrities and models.

I asked Lucy a question “What did you Win?” She said a trip on the QE2 around America and lots of gifts and vouchers from Chadstone.  In shock I asked her “Can I come along on the trip?” lol….she said “Of course Silly”. I thought i was dreaming…I’d never been overseas before or travelled on a a oceanliner….This was like the movie the Titanic!! winning a hand of Poker!

In January 2002 we were flown over to LA then to New York where we boarded the QE2 on the 10th of January.
Cunard decided to upgrade us to First Class, Deck 1 and Dine in the Queens Grill…we had a huge room with a oval window and our own Stewart /Butler!

The QE2, was the first ship in Port after September 11, and a Aircraft Carrier ported right next to her for security.

As we were sailing out of the Hudson river we went past Ground 0 where floodlights lit up the site where teams were working through the night cleaning up the destruction…

We and other passengers stood on the deck near the Bridge of the ship and sang “amazing grace” whilst a wreath was thrown into the river as passing.

On the third night…I proposed to Lucy to be my wife whilst a violinist was playing Vavaldi. The Trip was amazing, we went to Florida, Colombia, through Panama Canal, Zihuatanejo, Acapulco, and LA. 14 nights 15 days.

We met some amazing people..like Frank McCourt who wrote Angela’s Ashes… Herman's Hermits were also on the ship.

Some of the memories we had of this trip were priceless to Lucy and myself….It was a dream come true and the start of our lives as a family. 
Lucy was one of the Faces of Caulfield races and a judge of the fashions in the following years after the trip…we experienced all the amazing marquees and met lots of amazing people.

14 years Later after Lucy’s win we thought we would head to Flemington and enter our boys in fashions on the field…where they both got to the Finals and our cheeky one Tommy Gielen won!.....As you can imagine Lucy and I were in Shock again and very emotional….what amazing luck we have had and we are truly grateful.

I will have to post some photos of Lucy when she won the Trip on the QE2...I have 7 hours of video I took of our experience and have extracted some great photos to share.

Anyway thanks for letting me share my story!

Beau
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 12:59 PM by Beau Gielen »

Re: Young Couple winning a trip of a lifetime on the QE2
« Reply #115 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:42 PM »
On the third night…I proposed to Lucy to be my wife whilst a violinist was playing Vavaldi. The Trip was amazing, we went to Florida, Colombia, through Panama Canal, Zihuatanejo, Acapulco, and LA. 14 nights 15 days.

We met some amazing people..like Frank McCourt who wrote Angela’s Ashes… Herman's Hermits were also on the ship.

Beau, I must admit it was I who moved the second of your two identical posts here, as I thought it would add to our stories of famous / well known / celebrity passengers on board QE2.

You were, of course, celebrities yourselves in your own right during this cruise, and it is wonderful to hear how beautifully you were treated on board.

But then, you also met other famous people, whom you mention. Maybe you have some special memories of these people, which you would like to share with us?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #116 on: Feb 24, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Hi Beau -

Thank you for your wonderful story about Lucy and your voyage on QE2.  What a marvelous experience.  Please tell us more and share any photos that you may have.

June   :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Attached is a photo of Larry Hagman on the QE2.

Who is he with, and what room is he in?!

This comes from the Rupert Ballantyne collection, and is copyrighted.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Attached is a photo of Larry Hagman on the QE2.

Who is he with, and what room is he in?!

This comes from the Rupert Ballantyne collection, and is copyrighted.

Rupert lives about 3 miles from me and i see him occasionally. He was 'Front of House Manager' for his local dramatic society's Christmas production once and wore his old Cunard Hotel Officer's Uniform just to add a bit of class!

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #119 on: Jun 01, 2017, 09:35 PM »
Remembering Roy Barraclough who sadly died today.

I met him on board QE2 in October 1995 as we departed Southampton on a cruise to the Mediterranean. The cast of Coronation Street were on board filming a special episode.

At sailaway Roy appeared to be on his own and I approached him for a chat. He was a very pleasant gentleman and he explained what they were doing on this cruise. I shared with him that I loved his comic performances (Cissie Braithwaite & Ada Sidebottom) with Les Dawson and that I had attended the BBC Televsion Centre to watch a recording of the show. Classic comedy!

Throughout the voyage, even as they were filming, Roy always passed the time of day and his company was enjoyed by all the passengers. On the last evening of the voyage the production team bought all passengers a drink and the cast mingled.

Special times.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2017, 09:37 PM by Cunarder Man »

« Reply #120 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:19 AM »
Willum wrote :

Heres a bit of QE2 TV related folklore, before the network was fitted, ie pre-Bremerhaven we had a set with a VHS player in the Wardroom and I ran in a TV Aerial from the Monkey Is  so we could watch local TV in port. When coming up the English Channel the FA Cup final was being shown and Rod Stewart - well known Football enthusiast was in there with the 8-12 Engineers cheering on as required. I came in to check the signal and said witheringly, "Its, not important, only a GAME you know". That's just one way to be on the receiving end of a hail of empty beer cans.

Great story, Willum!

Offline Tony

« Reply #121 on: Feb 28, 2018, 03:35 AM »
Now that the Cunard website no longer has the celebrity passenger list available for QE2, these are the ones I can remember from my time aboard.

Lord Patrick Lichfield
George C Scott
Charlton Heston
Anthony Hopkins
Max Bygraves
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Jack Clugman (Quincy)
Loretta Switt (Mash)
Johny Winter (Blues-Rock Guitarist)
Reg Varney

I'm sure I must have seen others but that's all I can remember at the moment.

My Sister, who started working aboard as a photographer in '77 said that Dom Delouise was quite a regular visitor to the darkroom in early '78 though sadly I never met him. I was a big fan of his in all the Mel Brooks films.

Photo of me with Lord Lichfield.

Yes, Dom Delouise was a visitor to both darkrooms. They original down by the indoor pool and the A deck one after the lab was put in.
Was your sister Christine?

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #122 on: Apr 28, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Has Michael Jackson ever sailed  on the QE2?

Quite a few singers have done over the years.

Hopefully not, Cunard do have some standards!

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #123 on: Apr 28, 2018, 01:32 PM »

A truly 'big man' in all senses of the word BIG!

I got to know him quite well on the several times he traveled when i was on and a nicer more gentle, compassionate man you could not find.

I remember one crossing we were due to have a committal of ashes and he asked if he could attend, not wishing to be where he wasn't welcome. It was just a small service with only a couple of family who were more than happy for him to join them.
The night before and that morning we had, and still were, experiencing heavy seas with a lot of ship movement. On his way down to the aft deck, he passed through the Yacht Club and saw a young man, a regular passenger, frightened out of his mind, clutching his life-jacket and huddled in between the large speakers for the disco. Terry stopped and comforted him for a few minutes, then took his leave and joined us for the Committal service. Afterwards, he spoke to me and together we returned to the Yacht Club to asses the situation. He then knelt down and once again comforted the young man. He remained with him for a couple of hours, finally helping him to return to his cabin and relax sufficiently to put his life-jacket down and lay on his bed. He eventually slept for many hours.
It turns out this young man had been in the Yacht Club for several hours before Terry found him.

Just one story of his great compassion and, remembering what he went through in his captive days, not the only act of kindness he showed in his life, a wonderful man, who i am proud and humbled to say "i've met"!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #124 on: Sep 10, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Great wee video snip here, of Bowie coming off the Transatlantic run on QE2 and signing autographs in the QEII terminal.

The lady says "Wow!  I never even knew he was on it!".

https://football-soccer.easybranches.com/southampton/85529