Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers  (Read 48247 times)

KEV

Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers
« on: Mar 14, 2009, 10:45 PM »
Lots of famous people have graced the decks of QE2 and many are listed (perhaps there is a link somewhere).Here's some I'm sure most people know for starters- The Queen,Princess Diana, Nelson Mandela, Buzz Aldrin,Rod Stewart. Out of general interest which famous person and when was on your cruise/crossing? I expect some join in more than others who prefer privacy, after all everyone deserves a holiday and some peace and quiet I always remember as a kid seeing one of  my boyhood heroes Henry Cooper with his kids on holiday in Devon and whilst my initial thought was to say hello my dad quite rightly said not to bother him as he was on holiday and deserved his privacy- I respected that decision and learnt a lot from it. Don't want to hear any bad comments as don't want any litigation!
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 01:15 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

Re: Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:15 PM »
We had Terry Waite. I think thats the correct spelling.
Im free...

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:14 PM »
On the August 12-22nd 2008 cruise we had the pleasure of Lembit Opek (sp?) although not sure if he counts as a celebrity?

For those blissfully unaware, Lib Dem MP and occasional appearances in the tabloids / gossip mags due to an earlier romance / engagement with one of the 'Cheeky Girls' (am i 'Friends of the Stars' or what?)

He made a slight ripple at our Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party when it was noted his female travelling compnaion was not in fact The Cheeky Girl in question!!  :o

He got what seemed to be preferential treatment on the day we were unable to get into Alghero. A few tenders were sent out to investigate - he was the only passenger on one of them and enjoyed waving to his adoring crowd of fans who had spotted him from the side windows on Pool Deck....
.....or rather one old lady who shouted "Lympic!! Lympic!" through the windows so loudly she spat her false teeth out in the process. (and me watching bemusedly while having a crafty smoke by the small room where the towel boys seemed to hang out and who captured his triumphant wavings on camera).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemalt_ali/3075736463/

He and his female companion got in the way of some of my pics in Lisbon:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemalt_ali/3076651692/

But karma does in fact work....
One evening (may have been night of the lunar eclipse? sure Rob can clarify?) it was a fab evening / night after dinner on deck outside the yacht club.
The female companion was shimmying down the portside steps from outside Yacht Club when she stumbled on her heels and fell all the way down; but luckily was caught by Lembit who was waiting at the bottom.

I must confess that the sight of it did make me expel my cocktail of choice back up through my nostrils in a sudden snort of laughter  ::)  :D

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread or not  ???  :-[

Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2009, 02:29 AM »
Great story and certainly a nice try Ali but I don't think old Limpit Toothpick or whatever he's called counts.  Most amusing recollection of the 'stumble' though, which certainly raised a smile lol ;D  Btw, didn't JSB have that old smoothie Desperate O'Connor come aboard for the final night alongside in Dubai?  Bit of a captiv(ated) audience that one lol!

Talking of desperate, on a previous cruise, Warren Smith was busily whipping the crowd into a frenzy with the news the World renowned comedic genius and all round entertainer extraordinaire, the 'littler' half of a UK double act from the 70s & 80s, would be wowing the crowds in the Grand Lounge following the bingo one evening!  As you can imagine, I was totally underwhelmed by the whole thing and could hardly contain myself to be honest yet despite the real struggle to resist the temptation, resist I did and I can't say my life is any the poorer for it to be honest  :)

That year, we were also meant to pick up Carol T at Gibraltar who was due to embark for the final leg back to Southampton, during which she would be signing her (then) new book. Unfortunately however, having broke down in Dubrovnik earlier in the cruise, we were running a day behind schedule so sailed right past without stopping.  She might still be there for all I know!

The most interesting person I have met aboard was our very own Chris Frame, who was giving presentations about QE2 and promoting his book.  Personally I can't be done with all the so-called ‘Celebrity’ nonsense and couldn't really care less if some (in)famous name or another might be sharing the cruise with me, for I don't know them nor particularly much care to be honest but give me a 'real' person, someone who I can relate to, then I'm interested.  Chatting to someone over dinner, meeting someone making their first cruise aboard or others who have returned many times is what I look forward to, as indeed I would were I to meet any of my fellow Forum members. 

Not always true of course but many a time someone has met their 'hero' only to come away feeling disappointed. As you rightly say Kev, everyone on holiday is entitled to their privacy.

Good post btw Kev.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009, 10:21 PM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Loads of famous people have been aboard QE2 over her reigning years but has Hattie Jacques been on her?
I know Sid James, Kenny Williams, Barbara Windsor, Wendy Richard and Frankie Howard has i was just wondering if Hattie had been on QE2.

Does anyone have a full list of QE2's famous passengers?

Offline Andy F

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:03 AM »
Shaun

No record of Hattie having travelled nor for that matter, Sid James or Kenneth Williams, although the others certainly have.  Check the following for a list of famous names who have travelled or visited QE2 http://www.cunard.co.uk/uploads/QE2FAMOUSFACES.pdf

KEV

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:10 AM »
I read Samantha Janus (East Enders Ronnie Mitchell) apparently lived on QE2 with her Grandmother for a while

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:21 AM »
Indeed she did Kev
 http://www.samanthajanus.com/

Online Bob C.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:33 AM »
I listed Rita Moreno on this thread (https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,409.msg4399/topicseen.html#msg4399) but she doesn't appear on the Cunard Famous Faces list. 

Picture proof though.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08 AM »
Fair point Bob and clearly the list is not definitive

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 01:59 AM »
In all honesty, I have to say the most interesting person I have met while aboard, is our very own Chris Frame and the delightful Rachelle.  To meet someone who shares the same passion (ok Chris, I'll say it, obsession lol), was particularly refreshing and that's what interests me, not the so called 'celebrity' culture that seems to have brought fame and fortune to so many individuals in recent times, despite being devoid of any talent.  Personally, I can't be done with all that nonsense and couldn't really care less if some (in)famous name or another might be sharing the cruise with me, for I don't know them nor particularly much care to be honest but give me a 'real' person, someone who I can relate to (and I met 2 other authors during my most recent cruise, one particularly well-known I was later to discover), then I'm interested.  Chatting to someone over dinner, meeting someone making their first cruise aboard or others who have returned many times is what I look forward to, as indeed I would were I to meet any of my fellow Forum members. 

Very flattered Andy and thank you - it was wonderful to meet yourself and Mrs. F. aboard QE2. We met so many wonderful people aboard who shared our passion for QE2 - everyone was so grateful that we'd produced the book; it was very touching! I must say that Andy and Mrs. F's love and appreciation for QE2 as well as kindness towards us (both book and lecture related) were, for the rest of the voyage and remain to this day, a happy memory of what was a remarkable and unforgettable final cruise aboard QE2.

PS: I still don't understand why they loaded brand new deckchairs aboard in September...

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 11:53 PM »
Patsy Palmer was onboard 10 years ago. Patsy really spoke highly of QE2 glad she had a great time.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jbenoit/patsyspeaks.html

Also the bad guy that is of course J.R Ewing played by Larry Hagman sailed on QE2 aswell.

CC: You've had a lot of celebrity passengers over the years. Do you have a favorite?
CW: There's one man who sticks out in my mind more than the others and that was a chap called J.R., remember him? J.R. Ewing. Larry Hagman. This is going back a few years but he was the man women loved to hate in that "Dallas" thing. But he came onboard QE2 with his wife and daughter, and in real life he is totally the opposite. He was so generous with his time. He stopped and had millions of photos taken with strange females on his arm, and it was really nice to see.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=293

Also the late John Lennon talked to a friend about QE2 going to the Mersey.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1072271/Lennons-downfall-Had-touching-act-love-alive-today.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:57 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

KEV

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Interesting reading about John Lennon-of course we know the QE2 can go up the Mersey at least to The Cunard Building!
Did any Beatles sail on her?

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2009, 10:22 AM »
John Candy the actor,Carly Simon the singer,The Cure music band,David Platt-footballer,Yitzhak Rabin-politician.

I think thats all i can remember for now. :)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Has Michael Jackson ever sailed  on the QE2?

Quite a few singers have done over the years.

Offline Heather

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Greetings from the Queen Victoria (sorry!!).  I am onboard at the minute and can't stay away from this forum.  Am in the computer room at the minute.  Will get back to various questions that have been added to my topics when I return home.  the internet is so slow (but at least I can keep up with the gossip!).

Jimmy Saville is onboard this cruise to the Med.  He is walking about with his Final Voyage QE2 badge on (and I have my QE2 T shirts on).  Its amazing the number of people that stop and speak to you when you are wearing the T shirt!  I do have other clothes with me too!!

I am also a bit emotional as I see the beautiful paintings of our Grand Old QE2 all around this ship.  Its lovely to see that she will never be forgotten.

I have been on her over 40 times and although I love the QM2 and QV my favourite will always be the QE2.

Must dash and eat again!!

I will catch up with the other topics soon. 

Ship is moving a bit at present. 

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #16 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:37 PM »

Does anyone have a full list of QE2's famous passengers?

While searching for something else, as so often happens, I found this rather extensive list of famous faces :

http://www.cunard.com/uploads/QE2FAMOUSFACES.pdf

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2009, 02:20 PM »
I've just found out that Estelle Getty from The Golden Girls sailed on QE2.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2009, 08:32 AM »

Hi RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

There's a long list of people who have become well known
in the back of Carol Thatcher's book
'QE2 Forty Years Famous'

Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:19 PM »
On our trip, literally moments after boarding we were walking through one of the lounges - probably the midships lobby - to get to the forward observation deck when Murray Walker came past in the opposite direction!

Saw him several times over the next few days, but never once had the nerve to approach him ( I'm into Formula 1, by the way! ).

3½ months later, I get given his autobiography at Christmas and in it I read that he goes on lots of cruises and that he enjoys being recognised...  Missed my chance there, didn't I?!

Jim Bowen was the official entertainer on that trip.

Saw several other famous faces as well, I recall Su Pollard, David Nielsen and William Gaunt; no doubt there were a few others on board as well...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"