Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth Video Tour  (Read 1730 times)

Tom

Queen Elizabeth Video Tour
« on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:24 PM »
For those interested, here is a link.  Included are shots of some of the various bits of QE2 that have made their way onboard.

Online Bob C.

Re: Queen Elizabeth Video Tour
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Its sad to see the QEII bust from the Queens Room outside of its rightful place.  Also the theater/lounge area at 8:29 is very reminiscent of the last version of the Double Room/Grand Lounge.

As I was watching the video, I was thinking of how nice QE2 would look with the concept in the "Cunard Classic Reintroduces QE2" topic - it could really work!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Its sad to see the QEII bust from the Queens Room outside of its rightful place.  Also the theater/lounge area at 8:29 is very reminiscent of the last version of the Double Room/Grand Lounge.

As I was watching the video, I was thinking of how nice QE2 would look with the concept in the "Cunard Classic Reintroduces QE2" topic - it could really work!
I just feel so sad to see it there.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:56 PM »
I just looked at the video.  While the video was nicely done, the ship reminded of a big, overdone, characiture of the QE2.  Why do that when you had the real thing?

Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:04 AM »
I will also say that expectations are high as the music starts in the beginning of the video and the camera rises from the water.  The music evokes a sense of anticipation for somehting big.  Then the full view of QE is given and it's a big let down.  Especially with that circular lounge top forward and what looks to me like the dunce cap she's wearing.

Tom

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:00 AM »
I chose this song because it's one of Gershwin's earlier works and lacks a certain amount of musical depth.  It's not nearly as mature, and I think it fits in well since QE is not nearly as seasoned as her predecessor.  There are certain parts that seems to satirize the music popular during the era in which it was written by playing them to extremes, another bit that I thought would work well with the new QE because it's clear that she's trying very hard to evoke the older, past Queens.

Rhapsody in Blue is a lovely piece, and QE is a nice ship, but neither is very meaningful nor original.

You're right, the beginning of the song is a somewhat anticlimactic glissando that builds up into a soft peak.  Didn't think the opening shot reflected what was in the music quite that well, but whatever you guys want to see I guess.  ::)

Edit: I really miss seeing QE2 in Honolulu, she was a wonderful ship and always made the papers.  There wasn't even a mention that QE was in town.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2011, 03:09 AM by Tom »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:51 AM »
I just feel so sad to see it there.

I just feel sad seeing ALL of the bits of QE2 on this cruise ship.  it would be one thing if QE2 was gone, broken up at the beach in Alang, but she is still alive and well in Dubai. 

Thank you Tom for this beautifully shot and edited video.  I would like to sail on her someday as her interiors are stunning and I suspect more intimate in feeling than the QM2.  Still, I would have trouble viewing the QE2 bits, perhaps even Thomas  :o as they would all be reminders of what once was.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:35 AM »
Regarding the "bits" of QE2 being on the new QE, I would rather they be on QE being admired and remembered & talked about, than sitting in hot dusty Dubai with nobody looking at them.   I know if and when I travel on QE,someday in the not too distant future, they will be the first things I will go looking for and I will stand and look at them and admire them and REMEMBER what used to be.(and most likely shed a tear).

QE2 Canuck      Linda C