Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Single Cabin Debate  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Chris Frame

The Single Cabin Debate
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:34 AM »
One of the complaints I hear most often is "there are no single cabins" on the new Cunarders. So interesting to read this:

There are no singles cabins. "Cunard doesn't feel obligated" to do that, Capt. Wells said, noting that most luxury hotels don't offer this option. Although he acknowledged the demand — Cunard is popular with single, older women — he said, "You could never build enough. You can never win."

From: http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-queenelizabeth-20110124,0,6153467.story

Anyone here miss the Single cabin option?
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2011, 03:46 AM by Chris »

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: The Single Cabin Debate
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:49 AM »
I have a friend who was on the QM2 for the World Cruise last year and the cost was almost doubled because she was on her own.  She does not fly and as a result travels a lot on Cunard ships.  I am sure there are a lot of people like her who would like the option of a single cabin. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:34 AM »
It would be interesting to have it confirmed, but I am pretty sure that, on QE2, the single cabins were always among the first to sell out.

We always took a single cabin each, but in the seven cruises we took, we only got thus-designed single cabins twice. Most of the time, the double cabins we received and enjoyed on our own, were "free upgrades" -- only during the last year of operations did we have to pay a supplement for them, as the single cabins were long gone.

I am sure that many people, even those travelling together, would prefer single cabins. My mother, for instance, flatly refuses to share. "The QE2 is not a boarding school", she said.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2011, 12:28 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:13 PM »
I would agree that there should be single cabin provision generally.  The problem is convincing the accountants who run everything these days who insist on standard boxes for cabins.  We need to convince them to allow interesting quirky shaped cabins as well!

And portholes....  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I would agree that there should be single cabin provision generally.  The problem is convincing the accountants who run everything these days who insist on standard boxes for cabins.  We need to convince them to allow interesting quirky shaped cabins as well!

Black Prince had very nice single cabins, all in a row and all shaped exactly the same. It can be done!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Thats one of the two reasons why l havent booked any cruises. The lack of single cabins.... l dont mind paying a fair premium.
Why the heck do we need to sit down and figure out exactly how much a cabin will cost when in days gone by you could clearly see the fare.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:53 PM »
It should be easy enough to design single cabins that can easily convert into doubles. This would satisfy the accountant's bottom line as well as the segment of fare paying passengers that travel solo.

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:59 PM »
And let's not forget the new build Epic was designed with a whole suite of single cabins - with their own singles lounge!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2011, 09:15 PM »
  There are no singles cabins. "Cunard doesn't feel obligated" to do that, Capt. Wells said, noting that most luxury hotels don't offer this option. Although he acknowledged the demand — Cunard is popular with single, older women — he said, "You could never build enough. You can never win."

Nice that Cunard doesnt feel obligated to build single cabins..Loved his quote "You could never build enough".. It would be nice if they at least tried.. :(   
 l dont feel obligated to carry on my tradition of Cunard cruising..

and so the single cabin issure rolls on ::)

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2011, 12:47 AM »
Seems like a good idea to switch over to Saga so.

Look at the new Saga Sapphire and the number of single cabins she offers :

http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/ocean-cruises/saga-sapphire/deck-plans/deck-2.aspx

Saga Ruby, the lovely ex-Caronia, seems to have quite a few too :

http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/ocean-cruises/saga-ruby/deck-plans-ruby-veranda.aspx

And I like their motto  : Holidays done properly.

Tempted?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2011, 04:57 AM »
The Saga Ruby is very tempting, except I, like others here such as Myles, do not meet the age requirement....yet.  :(  From what I've read, I will just make it before they are rumoured to retire her in 2014.  On the other hand, "under-age" passengers can travel onboard with a relative....mom and dad, are you listening?
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2011, 10:53 PM »
The single supplement on QE2 was around 50%. The single supplement on the current ships is 75%.

The current cabins are normally far larger than the equivalent on QE2. I think that makes some sort of economic sense.

The problem with the QE2 cabins (although not in QG) was that a single bed was provided (it was a small double in QG) which for me is terribly uncomfortable.

To put things into perspective, single fares (cruise only) for the transatlantic on 19 April were in the region of £750 for Britannia, £1500 for Princess Grill and £2000 for Queens' Grill. Those are pretty good prices, and I just wish I'd been in a position to take advantage of them!

Matthew

PS Nothing above is intended to suggest that I'd prefer to sail on the newer ships - I'd return to QE2 like a shot given the choice!
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2011, 01:48 PM »
The problem with the QE2 cabins (although not in QG) was that a single bed was provided (it was a small double in QG) which for me is terribly uncomfortable.

I used to always enjoy the quirks of a single bed on QE2,and when there was company,even better,
Seriously, though the QE2 brochure printed a single cabin rate and that was all l ever needed to look at, these new brochures by the time the calculator is out and you figure out just how much your paying extra,shock sets in and the moment has passed.. :-\

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2011, 04:11 AM »
I paid the 50% supplement to have a cabin to myself and was so glad I did. I have tried sharing cabins and for a single it's Not recommended, memories of having two cabin-mates who quarralled incessently (The Indian lady was very nice when the American lady was sick in the ship's  hospital. ) However, the American was rather fat, took 3 of the closets, the Indian lady had the other one. Took 2 of the drawers in the dressing table, had all her stuff all over the top, and I had to live out of my suitcase the whole way. That was in Canberra in 1990, although I enjoyed the company of the Indian lady, we did not like the American. I don't mind paying a single supplement but 175% or 200% is a rort in my opinion.
And, if I lived in Britain, I'd glady have a younger (female) friend, but beware, I SNORE! ;D

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2011, 11:36 AM »
  That was in Canberra in 1990, although I enjoyed the company of the Indian lady, we did not like the American. I don't mind paying a single supplement but 175% or 200% is a rort in my opinion.

Had it not been for QE2 and Alan Whicker l would have been a Canberra babe, l gave serious thought to booking a friendly four for a med cruise with Ships Monthly, the price was amazing. The sharing with strangers wasnt really much of an issue l used to share cabins on the St Sunniva going overnight to Aberdeen or the odd time on the London sleeper, and never had a bad experience, then again l was young and carefree.
The Stefan Batory was another very serious option for me, but she looked just too small and that put me off.. Then the night l first saw Fast Boat to China, l knew that was the ship for me, and so she was..
 But l do very regret not trying out Canberra and the Batory.. there was always something special about Canberra.... :)
Then again, l couldnt see me really as a Canberraqueen :-\?
When l did look at the lower grade rates on QE2, the single fare always compared very favourably. When you need to figure out how much a cabin costs on newer ships, it does speak volumes.

Cabin numbering

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 19
Views: 4851
Captains Cabin

Started by jdlBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 9
Views: 6786
Sue Towes, QE2 Cabin Stewardess 1986-1987

Started by susie qBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 1822
Peter Watts, QE2 Cabin Steward, 1980's

Started by wattsminiBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 1
Views: 1772
For Scott Ebersold - Cabin 2069

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 7
Views: 780
Poll June 2019 Competition : QE2 Cabin Decks

Started by June IngramBoard Archived Topics (2020 Calendar)

Replies: 20
Views: 814