Author Topic: Live from RMS Queen Mary 2  (Read 37864 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: Live from RMS Queen Mary 2
« Reply #80 on: Apr 02, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Here's more about The Day before Yesterday...'fraid it was just about as good as it gets!

.....following a superb swing away from our berth in Cochin, India - tight cornering and hairy looking multi-point turns seem to be the real specialty of  Mary,  thankfully, we were once again
at sea.
And this sea day was all the more enjoyable after the disappointment in Cochin, when we'd been directed to a wrong coach -  (hoping for an eagerly awaited destination, we'd signed up for the 'Backwaters' and hoped to see the Real Kerala -  instead we found ourselves on the 'Best of Cochin'  - Cunard's tourist 'special' range!!)  -  yesterday was well nigh perfect!
It started after midnight, as we left the Queen's Room, we headed off to the Bit Beneath the Bridge to bid goodnight to the sea.
The Beatles Celebration had played and sung lots of their great songs as we danced - rocking in posh frocks, exactly as they had done on QE2's last night in service with Cunard  :)
Sadly there's been  no opportunity so far to ask the Group more about this - however they are still around, so 'watch this space....' - investigations already under way!

After 'quick sleep', up at 6.20 to see sunrise, firstly from the Bit beneath the Bridge, then down to the foredeck - on deck 7.  
It seemed weird, the surrounding Arabian Sea was almost flat, and at the same time - it was also looking strange and mysteriously bumpy and black in several places. As we approached the darkened areas, it looked as if there was something not too far off, a bit like a huge long squall disturbing the surface.
It was then that the dolphins started jumping!
There were possibly hundreds of them - many having the time of their lives!
The sun rose, sleepily through the mist, then big and a fiery sort of orange - and the schools of dolphins swam through the sun's reflection on the water.
A glance up to the windows of the bridge, the usual morning greetings exchanged with the Quartermaster and Third officer on 4-8 watch, before heading off aft to deck 8 for early morning coffee, time for the deck crew to set up all the green stripy sunbeds and a long gaze at the ship's wake.
Sea and air temperature were the same - over 80 degrees, with a stiff breeze created by QM2's movement through the air (23kph.)
Not sure how and where the sea temp gets measured - is it 80 degrees for the mile and a half beneath our keel? (think possibly not!)

Off to the launderette, and while washing underway - attended to hair, (is there any such thing as a perfect hair-day at sea?!) before heading to the brekkie-time feast.
Since passing through all countries of a tropical nature, dragon fruit and other exotic curiosities have been arranged like Christmas decorations around the strangely named King's Court - (Who was the KIng - anyone know?)
The best thing is the crispy streaky bacon. Unfortunately, the porridge needs a bit of salt, however - and at last, Weetabix is back !  
No food delivered (as previously planned) in Hong Kong  - our Junk Bay anchorage there rendering deliveries impossible, so apparently it was  transported ahead of us to Singapore - and loaded on board while we enjoyed an hour in the Long Bar of Raffles.
Must have Costa Fortune.

Down to Sir Samuel's for coffee - not as comfortable as Cafe Carinthia on QV, but every bit as good in other ways - the seat nearest the window is almost at sea level..
Plans to re-think ship Coffee Club-shop in cabin on hold for the time being - as coffee in Sir S's tastes considerably better than elsewhere on QM2! (although it does cost a dollar or three)
Perhaps the coffee machines in the KC will be replaced during the refit in November!

Meet up with new friends to have a lovely chat about Cornwall, and our favourite places there - especially the North Coast, and it was great fun thinking about ships, wrecks and the Padstow Lifeboat!

Lunch - salad, frilly pancakes and ice-cold lemonade flavoured ship-water, and onto Deck 7 to continue reading a shippie's book - written by one of QE2's earlier Captains,
Reached page 90, and still no mention of QE2...

Then off to a meeting of anyone who sailed on Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth - fairly well attended, more Guests than ex-Crew members.
Had to leave early, as there was a talk by QM2's Navigator about the History of Navigation that was high on my agenda - the talk was excellent,  - very interesting, although it underlined the fact that the work of Navigators past and present  includes a huge amount of highly complex maths - so sadly, all personal aspirations previously held were now in dire need of abandonment!
Later I learnt that at the QE / QM meeting, the member of the Entertainment Team took names, and would be forwarding these plus the photograph to Mr Greener for the We are Cunard blog

Tea, -  a neat cucumber and tomato sandwich, warm scone, and wee bit of cream  - before heading back to the setting sun on deck 7.
Fun to dress up for another formal evening, with late dinner to follow....
(Just 4 different evening outfits - all very simple  'separates', each time with a different 'twist' - nothing too flashy or, I hasten to add - costly!)

Hopefully each sea day will be as good as today, yesterday and the day before.... after tomorrow there'll be just 9 sea days left.

TOMORROW - we'll see QE2...
(Clocks go back tonight - a big pity, as I doubt I'll sleep...much.)

Rob, The Cunard Pictures of the meeting QE and QE2 have been greatly admired by a number of ship's company who have worked on board QE2 for many years
It's been good to show them her smoke - and see that access across the quayside looks much better than I'd first imagined.
The Forum is getting a good 'airing' via my lap top, and I will take labels and a print of the index page with me as i go.

All good wishes to EveryOne,
and of course, still wishing very, very much that  you were all here too.

Rosie.

Oh yes, nearly forgot
Security on QM2 is very good indeed :)
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2011, 01:35 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online skilly56

« Reply #81 on: Apr 02, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Thanks Rosie,

Another really good read about the side of life I never see.

But, I have mentally already begun packing my bags ;)

Cheers

Skilly

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #82 on: Apr 02, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Rosie - Dolphins, orange sunrises, warm breezes, leisurely afternoons, dinner and dancing at sea ... what a perfect day.  Your reports from sea read like the great adventure it has been.  I'm sure you will enjoy those final nine days ... I will enjoy them vicariously through your reports!

Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #83 on: Apr 02, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Hi Rosie,

Great read, as always!

Enjoy the meeting with QE2 tomorrow!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #84 on: Apr 02, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Hello Rosie

An excellent report - must be the best yet.  

I particularly liked you description of the dolphins.  That is the sort of experience that will stay with your forever.  

I am looking forward to seeing photos from your cruise when you return home.  
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #86 on: Apr 04, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Thanks for the Ryan's post, "shes-still-beautiful," Rob.   It's easier to use these icons than try to find the words to express everything I felt when I read the article.  :D >:( ::) :-[ :-\ :-* :'( 

Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #87 on: Apr 13, 2011, 11:34 AM »
QE followed QM2 through the Messina straights yesterday, and is currently docked right in front of QM2 in Civitavecchia.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #88 on: Apr 17, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Now it's a question of hoping, praying and begging Queen Mary 2 to take things slowly!

Every morning, she's 'there', during each day, there's always something 'sea-wise' going on, she's managed a superb transit of the Suez Canal - and yes, there was a bit of a breeze as we turned one of the several corners (the canal ain't straight!!), we noticed her stern was keen to touch one side - and yet her bow wasn't
After 2 utterly wonderful days in Egypt - desert, - where the silence amongst the mountains was like a warm sort of heavy blanket, and the majesty of the high spiky reddish mountains rising from the sand - the bedouin, spitting  camels and the mirages made it feel completely timeless - and after Suez it was on to Rome where we sailed into port with a stiffening wind - calling for the aid of a couple of tugs - sometime after fleetmate Elizabeth.  A quick visit to see QE2's Builders plate etc, then on to  Monaco for a beautiful day in St Paul en Vence and then time in Barcelona, before giving the Gibralterians a bit of a blast...now we are counting the seconds - and maybe the Commodore is too - he 'retires from the sea' in Southampton.
Will post more soon - however, this has been a nineteen hour day, sleep beckons and  Mary's ready to rock us across the Bay of Biscay - another night of heaven!

Rosie.

(Some of the voyage has deserved more than a brief glance - and it'll be easier to post more in retrospect, and from my wifi at home!)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #89 on: Apr 18, 2011, 12:08 AM »
Thanks for the post, Rosie.  I can't believe you're still at sea ... seems such a long time to me.  The Commodore certainly had an eventful last World Cruise!  Safe home.

Janice 

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #90 on: Apr 18, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Thanks Rosie

I am sure you have many more memories that you will want to share once you get home.  Safe journey home .
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #91 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:50 AM »
  The Commodore certainly had an eventful last World Cruise!  Safe home.

His retirement would appear to have been kept very quiet.

Hes not the only one making a move.Captain McNaught is also on the move...
   http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/news_i...ity_house.html
    (ftp://http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/news_i...ity_house.html)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #92 on: Apr 19, 2011, 12:47 AM »
Just ending our final evening on QM2.
Having just said goodnight to the sea, new friends and several crew members - it was good to see you live in Chat, Rob!
QE2's whistle sounding loud and clear both on the Forum and in our Suite. :)
This has to be another 'first' for the Forum, and a special treat for QM2, and the neighbours!
Docking in Southampton at 6.00 am.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #93 on: Apr 19, 2011, 01:10 AM »
Thank you for all your traveller's tales, Rosie! I have enjoyed them so much and have felt privileged to be among those reading your stories even as you were living them.

Wishing you a calm night and a safe arrival back home. And then, you will need to regain your land legs...  not easy...   ;)

Pat Curry

« Reply #94 on: Apr 19, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Just ending our final evening on QM2.
Having just said goodnight to the sea, new friends and several crew members  ...
Docking in Southampton at 6.00 am.

It's going to be a terrible anti climax leaving the ship.  It always was for me.  You miss the engine noise, the motion, on-board activity, the friends, the crew, the glorious food, no washing up, and well just everything.  Above all you can't help wondering who is sleeping in my bed  :o
So glad you enjoyed it, and that you've come back safely and  to good weather.  So glad too that you shared so much with us.

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #95 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Welcome back to reality, Rosie......and a big thank you for allowing us to be with you on board "lovely Mary".

QE2 Canuck     Linda C

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #96 on: Apr 25, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Thank you for all your welcome home messages - life is certainly different, shoreside!
There's more to write about the experience of a Worldie with QM2 - but a wee bit too hectic at the moment!
Can't wait to see, smell, hear, taste and feel the Sea again!

After 41,000+ miles, QM2 is experiencing a change in the weather
Seems a bit unfair that it waited until after Soton
I understand that the view from the Bridge yesterday was somewhat similar to one inThe Tempest....
(The mist on the webcam view below is modified by the watermark,
however it's possible to judge it's density by comparing the railings!)

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011, 03:54 PM by Twynkle »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #97 on: Apr 25, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Theres a bit of a debate about it on cruise critic  "Queen Mary 2 world cruise good and bad"
You wonder how the discounting of fares might come into question, and the ones on the heavily discounted crossing right now, l wonder how they feel.But we all have tales and have met people who have paid less  ::) so l guess thats just life

When you look and view Alan Whicker on the fast boat to china programme, that cruise looked simply stunning !!! then again it was on QE2...
Perhaps its the same old story, Cunard used to be very good and the regulars knew it, Now its not so good, the regulars still know it, but the new comers dont and to them its still all singing all dancing.

Rosie,Looking back on your World cruise ;D what do you wish you had known before your boarded that you know now
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #98 on: Apr 25, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Hi Myles - it's too soon to tell!
There's been no time to think 'straight' (not that that's ever easy, you understand!)

It was this time last week that we were saying our farewells to several good friends as well as crew; they will be completing the voyage in New York.
Having just had a look at the sailwx site - and the view from the webcam as QM2's sailing off the East Coast,
the visibilty there is recorded as 0.0
Hope they are out of the dense mist very soon.

Safe way home, to Everyone on board.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #99 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:34 PM »
In the light of the posts here:
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3348.0.html

you might be interested in this!
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/07/queen-mary-2-atlantic-crossing/

Klaus Kremer was our Executive Chef, he with the wicked sense of humour!
 - and apart from the twirl of butter with the scone, our experience was very similar.
we were SO fortunate; i can't begin to express how much i miss the Mary -
and we've been home 3 months now, and for family reasons,
I still haven't had an opportunity to unpack, or post the photos!

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2011, 07:55 PM by Twynkle »

QE2 - Live Music!

Started by TwynkleBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 9
Views: 2701
Last post Dec 26, 2020, 07:37 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Follow a QM2's crossing live on Facebook

Started by Matteo 91Board RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 1140
Last post Jan 05, 2012, 03:53 AM
by highlander0108
Live Blog from the QE2 Story 50th Anniversary Conference

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Story QE2 50 year conference 22 September 2017

Replies: 35
Views: 1489
Last post Sep 26, 2017, 08:42 AM
by Bob van Leeuwen
12 February 2021: Live Presentation "Waverley 2020 and Beyond"

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 1
Views: 126
Last post Feb 15, 2021, 12:10 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
Warning: Live Performance Can Seriously Damage Your Health (and Ego)

Started by garywilliamsBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 9
Views: 2284
Last post Feb 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
by Janice Naylor