Author Topic: Live from RMS Queen Mary 2  (Read 37476 times)

Offline Twynkle

Live from RMS Queen Mary 2
« on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:54 AM »
Today, Robert Neal Marshall included a reference to The QE2 Story Forum during his lecture on the Three Queens meeting in New York yesterday!

The day before yesterday, John Maxtone-Graham referred to QM2 as a worthy successor to QE2
More about 'everything' soon...!
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2011, 02:32 PM by highlander0108 »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

Re: Live from RMS Queen Mary 2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:37 PM »
OK - So there really is 'Something about The Mary'!

She is a seriously good ship and currently, there are few superlatives that would sufficiently do her justice.
It seems as if she reflects well the ambience, and to some extent, the character, of the two post WW1 Queens.
There's also a sense that had QE2 not existed, QM2 might have got lost on the way to becoming a great Liner she evidently is.
When remembering the 'shock and awe' of the design, style and 'class' of QE2 in the mid 1960s - it feels as if QM2 is doing 'shock and awe' pretty well, too!

To feel her great engines beating beneath the lovely thickly carpeted area around Stairway C  Deck 2, to experience a proper hair-wash from the windscreen washers/ wipers on the best bit of all - the Bit Beneath the Bridge, and to lie on a steamer chair on perfect teak decking, immediately above the spot where the great waves break against her mighty bow - this has to be the stuff of dreams!  (well... mine, anyway!)

As we left our last port, it was evident that the squeeze through the harbour entrance/exit would be a tight one.
'Something' Millennium had parked herself in the space used by QE2, and Mighty Mary needed to contend with the somewhat  diminutive Saga Pearl II 's bow, before wriggling  sufficiently astern, so that she could turn extremely hard '(right hand down!!), before joining the proper channel.
Having seen enough  to know what was happening f'wd, it was then possible to leg it down to the stern (in less than 2 minutes!!), via the best lift at sea - the external glass-cased lift straight from Deck 11 to the Boat Deck (7).
Here, immediately surrounding her stern, there were huge boulders, now at perilously close quarters, (these encase the harbour entrance) - and Mary needed to do an extremely nifty sort of multi- point turn, in seemingly no water.
This she did, with great panache, under the watchful eye of one tug, one pilot and a senior officer!
The lifts on board are superb,  magical even - more on these and other discoveries later.
btw, can't wait to try the outside lift in rough weather - Kerry (ex-QE2 Library person) has this as her number one treat!

Hopefully QE2 is proud of her successor.
She definitely doesn't creak, nor does she give you that lovely 'wrapped around' feeling -  however, The Mary does many things that have evolved from the style and substance of QE2.
She has a sense of dignity and grace, and she works extremely hard too!

Rosie -  off the 'mouth/s of the Amazon', and sincerely wishing you were all here too.

PS - By the way -if it's OK with the Mods (?!) please do 'chip in' here,  - I've caught the Mighty Cold, and it could be a while before the Mighty Expensive  Internet Connection becomes affordable again!
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2011, 10:39 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Jem

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:17 AM »
Rosie, so pleased your enjoying QM2. :) You can feel the heart beat of her engines through your feet and when entering or departing port you can feel the changes. I thought the external lift was great too.

Offline QE2 whistle

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:37 PM »
It looks like you're having a ball on Mary, Twynkle.  If you look at www.southeastflorida.com/inletcam/ they have archived Mary's departure from Fort Lauderdale.  It is a good camera for watching the other ships live, just like looking out your window on the port.  Great for us ship geeks! ;D

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Greetings and Thanks to EveryOne!
Hope that you are well.
Missing you lots.

Here are some Notes from the South Atlantic, hopefully they make sense!

QE2's quirks have been discussed on the Forum, and after 14 days of her WC 2011, Queen Mary 2 is beginning to overcome a degree of shyness as she reveals just a few of her little secrets and surprises.

The Queen's Room in the QE2 was at the heart of the ship's community, and Afternoon Tea there was the height of white-gloved elegance, a tradition which survives in the 'Queen Victoria'.
However, it seems that commercial pressures on the QM2 seem to have dictated that shops, bars etc and smart profits now occupy the key areas of the main decks while the Queen's Room has been banished to the nether regions at the stern, distant and rather confusing to find: down steps beside the Britannia Restaurant, through the photograph gallery, round a corner and up some more steps, if you're not to break the rules and walk intrusively straight through the Restaurant. No wonder Afternoon Tea is not what it  was!  This Queen's Room is fairly dark, and definitely not the haven of the Queen's Room (nor remotely like the Grand Lounge) that QE2 was able to share with her Guests!

Then there are the spongy bits!
These exist throughout the main thoroughfare on Deck 2 - the carpeting is palatial, often almost doubly thick, yet in many places there's a mild sinking feeling.....
It puts a spring in your step as you approach the Britannia Dining Room, or alternatively it could trip you up a little in the other direction while on your way to settle your account!

The Great  Bell on Deck 3 is rung 8 times by the Chief Security Officer at noon  ...I have yet to discover what goes first - Whistle or Bell!
All Whistles are sounded daily, because of good insulation, these can only be heard properly in thr Gym, and the Library - here, The Whistle was 'felt' underfoot this morning, a strange encounter! 

Burns Night certainly presented a very good feeling of 'Quirk'!
There were many who came out of curiosity, the QR was packed - come to think of it, I wonder how the term 'Burns Night' might have been interpreted by those 'out of the know'  before the event!
A committee of Guests-in-Kilts  had formed to do everything they could to help the evening go with a swing - they certainly succeded, the Event itself was Brilliant!
Only problem was the curtailment of the second and best half of the Gay Gordons - the swizzling bit,  this was left out. Someone (Cunard-side) evidently lost the instructions!
More QM2 Quirks to follow.....

Taking our leave....
After having tried out her wiggle that could have been mistaken for a Samba in Barbados - QM2 readied herself to leave Rio (11.00pm) by showing the world that she was a highly accomplished smoker! Thick, rich and pretty dark it was, from her stack, as she was gearing up to go.
Thrusters begain to shake themselves alive...as if we were in for another speedy 'something' akin to a Tango, and it soon became clear that there were huge efforts being made to keep her stern almost static alongside, while stretching her bow to an angle of somethiong like 65 degrees - It was a superb bit of steering through shallow water and witnessed by very few.... most were on partying on deck 8 probably oblivious to the grand efforts made by both the bridge and engines - this ship isn't called Mighty for nowt - her size is 'all' when it comes down to getting out of tricky situations  - and her abilty to manouvre in tight corners without tugs is astounding!
We were shown the way out of Rio - slowly, and almost certainly reluctantly, on Mary's part  - maybe she'd hoped to try her hand at a bit of a Rhumba!   Being led by the huge, blazing spotlights of a Tug that seemed extremely proud to be at the head of the stately procession, we reluctantly made our departure together.
QM2 had looked remarkably 'normal'  from the top of Christ the Redeemer -  she looked small, downsized. This was something that felt great- she fitted in well.

Heading south now to the River Plate and Montevideo, Uruguay.
Our journey into the harbour will start at 4.00am tomorrow as the Pilot joins us - it will be long, slow and challenging to take QM2 through the shallow waters, they stretch for 20 miles - Will be up early, and watching!
Then six Sea days across to Cape Town.... QM2 is already preparing for the departure of 1800, before 1800 Australians take their place!

Still wishing that you were all here - we'd have such a good time.
I do feel lucky, fortunate and grateful - but she's Not QE2 - and I miss her considerably more than I'd expected to.

Highlander - Your review is excellent, thank you!
One thing you missed tho' - QM2's Library has 288 cabinet doors that need too be locked and unlocked daily!

Regarding QM2, I'm becoming quite attached to her (or is it the Sea!!),  It's just that it was incredibly good to experience how things are / were on QE2 - the importance of which cannot be emphasised enough -   QE2 set a standard that will hopefully last for ever!

Rosie

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for the update Rosie which I am thoroughly enjoying reading.   Good to hear that you are having such a good time. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Jem

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:14 AM »
Wonderful to hear from you Rosie. So pleased your have a good time. Great to hear how things are going. :)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Hi Rosie,

I know exactly what you mean with the "squidgy" bits in the carpet!

Good to hear that you are enjoying your time - QM2 has a personality all her own as every ship does. Shelagh & I love her for that.

Gav

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:06 PM »
Just a quickie from Montevideo!
Found free wifi and can't resist the first Forum Fix for days, and days and...days!
We had an amazing sail in this morning - Over 20 miles of very shallow channel - and sailing at no more than 5kph.

Again, just a few to watch her in, together with another lovely sunrise, from the Bit Beneath the Bridge.
This is surprising - it seems that most passengers 'can't see the point' of experiencing the superb handling of a ship that can do amazing things when the challenge is fitting into tight corners.
The balconies seemed to be on the whole out of use (not that I'm a chronic Balcony-Peeper, you understand!)
There was good 'joshing' about a Celebrity Somethingorother that had previously declared itself as coming into port before QM2..after a while Captain Wright let us know that the original plan 'held', QM2 would indeed be arriving first...again more memories of QE2 - wishing she was here too, we are very close to where she docked

Rob -
The Agent here for Cunard has a lovely model of a Blue Star Line ship, the 'Avila' in their window.
Beneath the model is a beautiful old label 'Built at John Brown's Yard....'
(Sorry, forgot to note the date - possibly 1920)
Thought you'd be interested to know that Clydebank has reached Montevideo too!
Got photo, will post on arrival in UK!
Rosie

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Hi Rosie,

I know exactly what you mean with the "squidgy" bits in the carpet!

Good to hear that you are enjoying your time - QM2 has a personality all her own as every ship does. Shelagh & I love her for that.

Gav

My guess on the 'squidgy" bits in the carpet is that the concrete screed or leveling has failed below the carpeting and the padding.  Incredibly, they had to make repairs on QV for this it appears as posted in the www.wearecunard.com blog after only two years in service.
http://wearecunard.com/2010/12/queen-victoria-continues-her-first-refit/

This is a completely different feeling than the flexing floor plates onboard QE2 , partcularily in the doorway to the second floor balcony area of the theater which always gave you a little startle when stepped on.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Hi Rosie - I have been enjoying your reports "Live from the RMS QM2."  Keep them coming!

Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:56 AM »

Many thanks for update on Scary Mary - makes me want to save up my pennies at least for a crossing from Auckland to Sydney (even better if I can catch a ship home too - no horrid airplane). I certainly would like to see her move herself through narrow passes. I wonder if she would dare to try Milford Sound (she could actually be too long) Achille Lauro managed a sneaky spin on her axis ON OPPOSING SCREWS ONLY (she had no thrusters) - what an adroit piece of shiphandling - and most people were too interested in the lovely views to notice or care what the ship was doing, she was being very slow and careful! ;D

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:34 PM »
More news from QM2

We have heard from Ray Rouse (Entertainment Director) that  Mrs B Mueller, now 90, sailed on QM2's Christmas cruise
and she is considering returning to live on QM2; Mrs Mueller lived on QE2 for 11 years.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Enjoying your reports Rosie from your second favourite Queen!

Please pass on my hello to Ray and the team aboard!

Chris.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Day 18 - nearly halfway across Southern Ocean
8644 miles from New York
1787 from Montevideo
1858 miles To Cape Town 

A life in the day of...

Sleepy at first, this had been the third in a consecutive run of  nights when 'Please be advised to advance your clocks one hour tonight'.
It won't be the last, either  - this is the stuff of a world cruise - time, motion and our position all matter just as much as food, and the availability of eight meals a day!

Reports on our smart (new!) wide screen tv show extreme weather conditions forecast  for N. America, protests in Egypt  and news that Murray was defeated.
Cunard hasn't 'got a line' yet, on the Egypt situation - it's months away, and with QE and QM2 both due to transit the canal, there's bound to be 'a line', hopefully some time 'down the line'! 
The  weather forecast for N America is a salutary reminder that we are just so fortunate, and leave us with fingers crossed that any power outages will be short lived for anyone who experiences them, and that our own little home will be warm enough for our family who are taking care of it for us.
Switch to the ship's channels - Ray Rouse introducing the Daily Programme, always good for reminders and intros to speakers et al.
This was the 'morning after' the Party for the Diamond Members - Ray interviews a couple who have spent over a thousand nights on Cunard ships - Four years and three months in all. They have booked another world cruise for next year, and have sailed on Berengaria, Caronia, QE2 , QV and QM2...

Quick squint at the Ships Log, and the bow webcam - both particularly useful for those of us in inside cabins, then up to say Good Morning to the sea from the Bit Beneath the Bridge and down 9 decks to deck 2. Still unused to going down to public rooms - another blessing belonging to QE2!

Early into breakfast - same table on most days, almost at water level; the delicious menu seemingly unchanged for at least eight years.
Then off to the Launderette.  Navy sweater, like my hair -  white with salt, needing a good rinse - salt is everywhere along the portside deck - and inevitable, as we've been travelling east  the wind full of salt blows it in day after day.
Brief Interval - checked We Are Cunard website - QE doing well on her worldie!
Then off to have a quick look at the buy-one get-one free sale of Cunard clothes - remember those?  QE2 Final Voyage represented on 4 extremely small white polo shirts - but nothing remotely like a size 12 or over, so decided to continue with penny-saving policy - it's worked well, so far!
Later - retrieve navy sweater - well shrunk, obviously didn't do well in dryer, so off to recruit friendly neighbours to help restore it to original adult size!

Captain's midday announcement - only caught the last bit, 'we shall be the only RMS' after that'. Made mental note to find out more!

Off to Lunch - lovely treat, the Maitre D' brings a p/copy of a post card of his home town - somewhere miles away from the South Atlantic, and a place I love!
His picture will join others on the wall of our cabin - this is where the 'living scrap-book' is taking root and growing well!
Dining Room lunch is a lighter version of dinner - always pasta, fish, poultry, red meat and veggie dishes x2 to choose from, as well as salad and or a sandwich - and at least 4 puds + cheese.

Met friend after lunch - time for chat, books and a restful half hour, perhaps...?

Before settling down, a quick check over the rail towards the stern - to see, just as happenned yesterday - 'The birds are back!!'
Headed off at speed towards the open decks and encountered Captain Wright en route.
He said that he might have more news tomorrow about RMS St Helena - both she and QM2 will be close to the island of Tristan da Cunha,
this was almost certainly RMS St Helena's last call there.
He seemed  interested in the Wandering Albatross, before informing me that he's had them under his personal radio control from the Bridge throughout his time as Master of QM2!

Then spent 3 hours watching the pair of albatrosses, they are huge and beautiful birds, with a wingspan of 12 feet or more!
They followed our ship, weaving along our wake, it was warm, sunny and then showery with a breeze that gave them lift as they needed it.
(Made note to check out their average weight!)

Later.
After dinner spotted extremely good photographs of QE2 in the ship's photo gallery.
She is well represented on board in the art work, and as part of a 2011 calendar that's selling well, it seems that once more, she's doing her best for Cunard!!

Rosie.

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:58 PM »
Love it - this is as good as any book at bedtime. Keep it coming Rosie. :)

Offline Jem

« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2011, 03:23 AM »
Really enjoying your accounts Rosie. All those miles travelled already and loads more to travel amazing. The albatrosses must be a fantastic site? :)

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Sounds like you are having a very good time, Rosie.

And if you are able to pick up the forum PM system on board, I have sent you a message.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story Rosie

Offline Jem

« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Looks like QM2 and Rosie are making a stop at the Island of Saint Helena. Hope they met up with RMS St Helena OK.

QE2 - Live Music!

Started by TwynkleBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 9
Views: 2670
Last post Dec 26, 2020, 07:37 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Follow a QM2's crossing live on Facebook

Started by Matteo 91Board RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 1114
Last post Jan 05, 2012, 03:53 AM
by highlander0108
Live Blog from the QE2 Story 50th Anniversary Conference

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Story QE2 50 year conference 22 September 2017

Replies: 35
Views: 1447
Last post Sep 26, 2017, 08:42 AM
by Bob van Leeuwen
12 February 2021: Live Presentation "Waverley 2020 and Beyond"

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 1
Views: 115
Last post Feb 15, 2021, 12:10 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
Warning: Live Performance Can Seriously Damage Your Health (and Ego)

Started by garywilliamsBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 9
Views: 2178
Last post Feb 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
by Janice Naylor