Author Topic: QE2 Entertainment, Shows and Music  (Read 22259 times)

Offline Rod

Re: QE2 Entertainment, Shows and Music
« Reply #40 on: Apr 28, 2013, 06:51 PM »
The "Redwoods"????? or the "Bigwoods"???

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #41 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Definitely the Redwoods (the surname of one of the band) I think they were a trio, two men one woman. Would have been Sept/Oct '78.

Come to think of it one of the men was married to the woman so two of them were Redwoods. I think she was called Fran but it was a very long time ago now and a good few brain cells have withered since then.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2013, 07:54 PM by Alan Snelson »
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #42 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Did the "Applejacks" ever make it to QE2?  They were fairly lame, but I recall them from QE '40 in 1968.  I guess Cunard's idea of a "with it" au courant band.

Offline Rod

« Reply #43 on: Apr 29, 2013, 01:20 AM »
Definitely the Redwoods (the surname of one of the band) I think they were a trio, two men one woman. Would have been Sept/Oct '78.

Come to think of it one of the men was married to the woman so two of them were Redwoods. I think she was called Fran but it was a very long time ago now and a good few brain cells have withered since then.

This is the reason I ask.
This was a trio 2 men and a woman.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #44 on: Apr 29, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Hi Rod
Just looked through an old address book I found in a box in the attic a while back and came across their names. It was Chris and Fran Redwood and they were from Bournemouth. Tried Googling them but no trace and they don't show up in BT phone book so might have moved on, will keep looking though.

I recall there being quite a few trio's on board at various times so maybe the Bigwoods were on before I joined, the name doesn't ring any bells.

Offline backinthehatch

« Reply #45 on: Apr 29, 2013, 06:20 PM »
The "Redwoods"????? or the "Bigwoods"???

This one is for Alan and Rod.

Check out this link and look down at 1970's history and the 80's. I think Alan is right on this one, although
Rod has got the business card of another group name.

The Chris Redwood band semed to have played alot for Cunard over the years, and for many other cruise lines.

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/john-francis-panama-duo-spangle/50/b3/bb3
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2013, 06:22 PM by backinthehatch »

Offline Rod

« Reply #46 on: Apr 29, 2013, 10:00 PM »
My Bigwoods were a husband and wife and another male. The husband and wife were named Bigwood. This was early - mid 70's. The wifes name was Bobbi!

Offline backinthehatch

« Reply #47 on: Apr 30, 2013, 12:02 AM »
My Bigwoods were a husband and wife and another male. The husband and wife were named Bigwood. This was early - mid 70's. The wifes name was Bobbi!

Alan & Rod

Right chaps, glad to say you were both right but for different times.  The Redwoods as I said earlier, they had been on QE2 in the late seventies and throughout the eighties.
The Bigwoods as Rod has now informed us was in the early seventies, check out this interesting link regarding their Album release in 1971 and the influence of the QE2 on the group, which included a brother and sister called Bobby and Barbarella.

http://popular-midlands-entertainer.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/bigwoods-paradise-beach-1971.html

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: Apr 30, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Thanks to backinthehatch for all your research. It is always interesting to hear snippets from other times in QE2's history especially the early years.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28 PM »
In an earlier post in this topic I mentioned the Little Angels from Korea who gave a performance on board during the '82 World Cruise. I have searched for film of their performance on QE2 but haven't found anything, not realy surprising as video was still in its infancy then. Anyway, there are a number of clips on youtube so here is one for anyone who might be interested.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:54 PM by Alan Snelson »

baltaogc

Re: Entertainment, Shows and Music
« Reply #50 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:20 AM »

I agree Myles. apart from Qe2 in her hey day with the Joe Loss Orchestra as standard with BIG stars.....with one exception... and FORGIVE me...... it was the QM2 Maiden......with none other than SHIRLEY BASSEY......

I saw one of those shows. I can remember.. This is my Life, Hey big spender and Diamonds are Forever . She had a strong voice.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Article here about John Simons and the Joe Loss Orchestra :

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Way-John-Simons-worked-Jollees-Longton-QE2/story-25917575-detail/story.html

Interesting how a spell on QE2 is invariably mentioned in anyone's memoir or biography!

He did, of course, do four World Cruises on QE2 -- so there many be quite a few crew members and passengers who remember him...

March 2016 competition -- Music Aboard QE2 (closed)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 6
Views: 1916
Last post Mar 31, 2016, 10:10 AM
by Lynda Bradford
That's Entertainment

Started by Carl DaviesBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 3
Views: 1933
Last post Jun 29, 2014, 12:58 PM
by Twynkle
QE2 - Live Music!

Started by TwynkleBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 9
Views: 2702
Last post Dec 26, 2020, 07:37 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Poll for the March 2016 competition "Music aboard QE2"

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 11
Views: 2603
Last post Apr 30, 2016, 04:56 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Crew Shows

Started by TwynkleBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 16
Views: 3953
Last post Aug 14, 2015, 10:00 PM
by Boris