Author Topic: Near miss with the Pride of Kent (15 December 2007)  (Read 4526 times)

Offline pete cain

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2011, 11:02 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Naughty bridge QE2 staff ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:20 PM »
It trikes me as strange that a larger vessel was expected to give way to a smaller and much more maneouvrable vessel.  While this close approach clearly should not have happened, and there appears to have been little communication prior to the incident, logic alone should have meant that all concerned would realise that it is far easier for the smaller vessel to take action.

Suppose both had taken the same evasive action at the same time?  That is where the real danger lies.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:40 PM »
As I picture this, Pride of Kent was to QE2's starboard in a crossing situation.   Both International and Inland Rules state that when two power-driven vessels are crossing and a risk of collision exists, the vessel that has the other on her starboard side (QE2 - the give-way vessel) must keep out of the way and cross behind the other vessel (Pride of Kent - the stand-on vessel) if possible. 

A layout of the Dover Straits traffic separation scheme can be seen here - http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home/emergencyresponse/mcga-searchandrescue/mcga-hmcgsar-sarsystem/channel_navigation_information_service__cnis_/dops_-_dover_strait_tss_chartlet.htm

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:37 AM »
The report states that QE2 was right at the starboard limit of the lane; knowing that the Straits of Dover ( and, indeed, much of the Channel ) are relatively shallow, would there have been a risk of grounding had she moved out of the lane in order to pass behind the ferry?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:54 PM »
The report states that QE2 was right at the starboard limit of the lane; knowing that the Straits of Dover ( and, indeed, much of the Channel ) are relatively shallow, would there have been a risk of grounding had she moved out of the lane in order to pass behind the ferry?

Grounding in shallow water depends on depth and speed .  If there were water still water under the keel,  the faster she goes the more she squats.  The prudent thing to have done would be to recognize the situation early, communicate with the vessel(s) at risk and take early action.  I believe QE2 had at least two on the bridge at any one time.  There really is no excuse for the delayed action.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Near miss with the Pride of Kent (15 December 2007)
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:59 PM »
I was on board for this :)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline CAP

QE2 Near Miss 2007
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2013, 07:43 PM »
It seems QE2 was involved in a near miss with the P&O ferry Pride of Kent sometime in December 2007.  The subsequent investigation appears to have found the liner at fault for not giving way to the ferry.  QE2's action caused the ferry to take emergency manoeuvres.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 Near Miss 2007
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2013, 07:55 PM »
I was onboard for that one!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2 Near Miss 2007
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I was onboard for that one!

I shall refrain from asking you, Rob, to tell your side of the story  ;) ...

On the other hand, I can personally testify to the fact that QE2 arrived safe and sound and undamaged in Zeebrugge next morning. I did not meet Rob on that occasion, but there are at least three photos taken that day in the current photo competition!

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Near miss with the Pride of Kent (15 December 2007)
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2021, 09:13 AM »
Our QE2 timeline topic records that on this day 15 December 2007 QE2 was involved in a near miss with the Pride of Kent ferry.  Interesting to read the comments and links on this topic about the incident. 

I shall refrain from asking you, Rob, to tell your side of the story  ;) ...

On the other hand, I can personally testify to the fact that QE2 arrived safe and sound and undamaged in Zeebrugge next morning. I did not meet Rob on that occasion, but there are at least three photos taken that day in the current photo competition!

Glad to hear QE2 was undamaged and reached her next port. Maybe Isabelle can post the photos taken that day on this topic!

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Oct 1988 QE2 near miss on the Solent

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard The 1980s

Replies: 2
Views: 1245
Last post Oct 28, 2022, 10:57 PM
by cunardqueen
December 2014 Year end Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 1
Views: 2811
Last post Dec 31, 2014, 03:28 PM
by June Ingram
Poll December 2015 Competition Art Work on QE2 (closed)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 4
Views: 2928
Last post Jan 31, 2016, 11:36 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
QE2 Tribute Video, 1967-2007

Started by ChrisBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 15
Views: 5954
Last post Jul 21, 2010, 07:45 AM
by Chris
December 2022 : QE2's Foredeck

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (2024 Calendar)

Replies: 1
Views: 489
Last post Dec 11, 2022, 08:56 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski