Author Topic: The QE2's Funnel  (Read 79557 times)

Offline Cunarder Man

Re: The Funnel
« Reply #105 on: Dec 19, 2010, 10:53 PM »
I think I still prefer the old funnel :)

1983 on that famous Cruise to Nowhere - in addition to the funnel please note the position of the Builder's Plate which is now on Queen Elizabeth.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2020, 10:09 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #106 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Now if they could have seen it fit to extend the black part of QV & QE's funnel to the height of the uptakes ala QE2!

;)

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #107 on: Dec 20, 2010, 11:19 PM »
I have read somewhere that this cluttered look with all the exposed pipes is necessary for the functionality of the stacks, but I am not buying it.  That picture perfectly illustrates what could easily have been.  QE2 functioned beautifully with the funnel casing running up to almost the top of the exhaust piping and QM2's funnel appears to have had some thought put into its design.  These Fincanteri stacks on the Vistas just look unfinished.  Or perhaps the detailing of the funnel was given to an intern to complete. :o  I am surprised that Cunard let a detail like this so integral to the brand recognition and history go unchallenged.  Then again, the foremast on the QE/QV designs look a equally unfinished in how the ships horns are installed.  I guess we are just spoiled with QE2, in which it appears every detail was scrutinized for functionality and beauty.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #108 on: Dec 20, 2010, 11:58 PM »
About the need to sweep the 'stack!
Does any one know how often and how difficult it was for those 'pipes' to be cleaned?
Could this only be done during a refit?

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #109 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:42 PM »
Following photo wastaken on top of the funnel looking down

Photo from Alvan M
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2011, 06:22 PM by Blue Bombay »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #110 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:23 AM »
Following photo was taken on top of the funnel looking down

That must have been quite an adventure, Louis! Tell us how you managed to get to the top of the funnel -- presumably the ship was in port at the time?

RMS Lozzy

« Reply #111 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:35 PM »
(Dont know how to write this without sounding like Im bragging, just so you know Im not. :))

I was lucky to get a picture I took of the funnel published in the Book QE2: Britain's Greatest Liner.  If you have a copy of the book its opposite the Duke of Edinburgh's forward note.  Im friends with one of the authors and I just happened to be showing him my pictures and he asked if he could use it.

I was so pleased that first time I saw it.  :)  I'd put it up on here but its somewhere on one of my discs, will try to find it later.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2011, 05:25 PM by Lauren »

Offline R80OOP

« Reply #112 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:08 PM »
In a way it is great that the QM2, QV and QE have all styled their funnels after the great Queen - the boot was a very efficient design and QE2's spirit lives on here in the uk as these levithans  sail up the Southampton Water.  I always think that when her funnel was modified in the re-engineering programe it completed the QE2's transition from teenager to adulthood.    It is one hec of  a design - beautiful - wrinkles and all....

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #113 on: Mar 04, 2011, 03:41 AM »
In a way it is great that the QM2, QV and QE have all styled their funnels after the great Queen - the boot was a very efficient design and QE2's spirit lives on here in the uk as these levithans  sail up the Southampton Water.  I always think that when her funnel was modified in the re-engineering programe it completed the QE2's transition from teenager to adulthood.    It is one hec of  a design - beautiful - wrinkles and all....

Agreed!  Just wondering, though, how effective the upturned scoop is on QV/QE since they will never see the speeds QE2 and QM2 are designed for.  If you think about it, the Acadia, the first QV, was fitted with the same funnel before the decision was made to switch her over to P&O.  The scoops were never added and the funnel does look a bit naked, even taller without the appendages  Does anyone notice the difference, especially onboard?  Also, non of the other numerous Vista class ships have this scoop design and yet they are plying the waters as well. 

Here's a comparison of funnels I posted in my recent blog post on the QE's funnel.  I just wish they'd finished the funnel casing at the proper height!

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #114 on: Mar 04, 2011, 10:56 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more, Ken.  I have not heard a great answer as to why it doesn't extend higher over the pipe.   Would LOVE to know the "reasoning" behind it.

And I don't think QE or QV's scoops are actually scoops.  They look ornimental and like they might be some kind of vents or air intakes.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #115 on: Mar 05, 2011, 06:57 PM »
  I have not heard a great answer as to why it doesn't extend higher over the pipe.   Would LOVE to know the "reasoning" behind it.

Maybe to do with cost, Not that lm saying Carnival are tight you understand ... ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #116 on: Mar 05, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I think the captain of QE might be experiencing "funnel envy." ;)  I would be anyway.

bobso

Re: QE2 - The Funnel
« Reply #117 on: Aug 20, 2011, 07:48 AM »

« Reply #118 on: Aug 26, 2011, 02:40 PM »
She must have ran with the 1976 fire damage until the new funnel was fitted in 87

Now that we have quite a few new members here, I wonder was anyone here around at the time of the 1976 fire? When exactly was it, what caused it and what happened? Are there any pictures of the flames that buckled the funnel? Was QE2 out of service for a long time while repairs were being carried out?

« Reply #119 on: Aug 26, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Thank you, Michael, for this history of the engine room fire and its consequences. I stand in awe once more of the depth of your knowledge of QE2 and your willingness to share it.

It is heartening also to read of the excellent work done in these difficult circumstances by the medical crew on board. I trust the injured engineer was able to make a good recovery.

The Funnel Run

Started by Stowaway2kBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 12
Views: 4414
Last post Apr 03, 2015, 08:51 PM
by cunardqueen
The funnel goes on (upper & lower parts)

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 build photos

Replies: 1
Views: 3436
Last post May 21, 2010, 07:53 PM
by Michael Gallagher
The original pencil thin funnel

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Features of the QE2

Replies: 28
Views: 12795
Last post Nov 21, 2017, 02:40 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
2015 Archive - July 2014 photo competition : QE2's Funnel (closing 31 July 2014)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 4
Views: 3049
Last post Jul 28, 2014, 01:55 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 model funnel help!

Started by Vincenzo RinaldoBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 0
Views: 756
Last post Feb 02, 2018, 07:20 PM
by Vincenzo Rinaldo