Author Topic: QE2 Transart Brochure 1969  (Read 21212 times)

Offline Scott Ebersold

Re: Rare book ? (QE2 Transart 1969 Brochure)
« Reply #60 on: Sep 01, 2018, 12:59 AM »
Does anyone have one of these ? Its a book which I think was put in the first class passenger  cabins during the early day's. Its about 50cm x 25 cm ..and it has an amazing centrefold acetate section with a picture of the  old lady and when you lift each acetate reveals  another deck right down to the engines .

What was the original use of the Transart Brochure? Was it placed in first class staterooms on early voyages? Or, for some other purpose or multiple purposes?

Offline Timothy Wickham

Re: QE2 Transart Brochure 1969
« Reply #61 on: Sep 14, 2019, 12:20 PM »
I agree with everyone the Transart book is a wonderful piece and shows the thought put into QE2’s introduction into service.
I have another book produced by Transart, similar in style but with the title “QE2 New York”. It is a show case of the British companies that worked on and supplied fittings to the QE2, showing on a profile where the various equipment was placed. A paragraph on the last page states that it is published by the British National Export Council.
Does anyone know anything about this book? Who was it given to? Why the New York title?

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #62 on: Sep 14, 2019, 02:57 PM »
What a wonderful find! Thank you for introducing this book to the Forum.

I too would love to know more about it. How did you come to own it yourself?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #63 on: Sep 14, 2019, 04:52 PM »
What a wonderful find! Thank you for introducing this book to the Forum.

I too would love to know more about it. How did you come to own it yourself?

Yes indeed!  It's certainly the first I've ever heard about this. 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #64 on: Sep 14, 2019, 07:36 PM »
So much QE2 stuff out there, it's here now ;)

Offline Timothy Wickham

« Reply #65 on: Sep 15, 2019, 11:30 AM »
I have had the book for several years and have never seen another. I was lucky enough to purchase it from a resident of New York. The books opening pages state that QE2 had been in service for over seven months when the book was published and that she had started a season of cruises from NewYork. It seems to be aimed at a technical market rather than as a ship board give away.... I may be wrong here! Each supplier or contractor gets two pages, one of text and the other showing pictures of the work and the location of the equipment on board using a deck plan. The book promote the British maritime equipment industry rather than Cunard. What I cannot work out is the title New York on the front; was it part of some display or reception on board while the ship was in New York

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #66 on: Sep 17, 2019, 04:37 PM »
This sounds to be a marvelous book !

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #67 on: Dec 07, 2020, 06:15 PM »
In case anyone is interested in this rare fascinating publication there is a copy up in a listing on a well known auction site - starting price of £100 but looks good condition for being 50 years old - listing ends Saturday