Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Captain Inger Olsen of Cunard  (Read 5190 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Captain Inger Olsen of Cunard
« on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Capt Rynd announced at the World Club party the appointment of Cunards first female captain and she was due to take over from him on the QV.

Is this her?

http://www.jamescusick.co.uk/2010/05/staff-captain-inger-olsen.html

I searched the internet, but have not managed to find a press release from Cunard.

However, this is what Google tells me :

Queen Victoria Cruise Liner Facts : Luxury Cruise Ships : Cunard ...
Get information on Cunard's cruise ship, Queen Victoria. This luxury cruise ship stands up to Cunard's ... Captain, IK Olsen. Staff Captain, Andrew Hall ...
www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Victoria/About-Queen-Victoria1/ - Cached

If I follow the link, all I get is the usual cover page of cunard.be, from which it is impossible to reach any other page at all.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 08:37 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Is this her?

http://www.jamescusick.co.uk/2010/05/staff-captain-inger-olsen.html

I searched the internet, but have not managed to find a press release from Cunard.

However, this is what Google tells me :

Queen Victoria Cruise Liner Facts : Luxury Cruise Ships : Cunard ...
Get information on Cunard's cruise ship, Queen Victoria. This luxury cruise ship stands up to Cunard's ... Captain, IK Olsen. Staff Captain, Andrew Hall ...
www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Victoria/About-Queen-Victoria1/ - Cached

If I follow the link, all I get is the usual cover page of cunard.be, from which it is impossible to reach any other page at all.

Hi Isabelle,

On Cunard's site accessible in the UK
This is the list of Senior Officers currently on board Queen Victoria.

Captain   IK Olsen
Staff Captain   Andrew Hall
Hotel Manager   David Hamilton
Entertainment Director   Sally Sagoe
Chief Engineer   Willy Robinson
Executive Chef   Bernhard Stumpfel
Food & Beverage Manager   Bernhard Fischer / A Nootenboom (change 20 December)
Chief Purser   Jan Kristiansen

It confirms information that wasn't made public earlier this year!
Rosie

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Ships/Queen-Victoria/About-Queen-Victoria1/
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2010, 10:34 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Hi Isabelle,

On Cunard's site accessible in the UK
This is the list of Senior Officers currently on board Queen Victoria.

Captain   IK Olsen
Staff Captain   Andrew Hall
Hotel Manager   David Hamilton
Entertainment Director   Sally Sagoe
Chief Engineer   Willy Robinson
Executive Chef   Bernhard Stumpfel
Food & Beverage Manager   Bernhard Fischer / A Nootenboom (change 20 December)
Chief Purser   Jan Kristiansen

It confirms information that wasn't made public earlier this year!
Rosie

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Ships/Queen-Victoria/About-Queen-Victoria1/

Hi.  Inger is actually a friend of mine.  Last we spoke she was bringing Azura to sea.  Her facebook page definitely says she is working for Cunard (instead of P&O).  I'm happy to see she is finally captain!  I can touch base with her if you'd like more info?

-Scott

Online Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:13 AM »
From John Honeywell - The Mirror

'EXCLUSIVE: Inger takes command of Victoria as Cunard's first woman driver'

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/12/exclusive-inge-takes-command-o.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Twynkle

Re: Captain Inger Olsen of Cunard
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:49 AM »
An interview with Captain Olsen
http://wearecunard.com/2010/12/cunard-appoints-the-line’s-first-female-captain/

Re: Captain Inger Olsen of Cunard and Captain Sarah Breton of P&O
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Within the past hour, Artemis (P&O) and QV met in Southampton, with much happy tooting of whistles.

This is quite probably the first time that two cruise ships commanded by female captains have met!

Quote from: Wikipedia
In 2010 the British woman Sarah Breton took charge of Artemis, becoming only the second female in the world to captain a major cruiseliner and the first for P&O, following the Swedish woman Karin Stahre Janson, who took charge of MS Monarch of the Seas of Royal Caribbean Cruises in 2007.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Artemis
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010, 06:46 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Hopefully, not completely off topic ;)
as there's another sort of coincidence with these two ships.
Mr Paul Yeoman (Chief on QE2), was 'filling in' as Chief on QV
last summer and was then Chief Engineer on Artemis.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2012, 01:54 AM »
Have just returned from sailing with Inger Olsen and speak as I find, I was impressed
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Have just returned from sailing with Inger Olsen and speak as I find, I was impressed

I would second that Andy. 

We have sailed on Queen Victoria seven times but on our recent cruise at the start of June it was the first time that Captain Inger Olsen was Master of the ship.  We found her to be a very charming woman. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2013, 11:56 AM »
... and hopefully also an excellent captain!

I am watching, bit by bit, the "Star Trek Voyager" series on DVD and find its portrayal of a female captain (Captain Catherine Janeway) quite excellent. She is very definitely in charge of the ship and deserves the respect she gets, and at the same time, she is also very definitely female. I am only half-way through season 2 now, but hope that I shall not be changing my mind as the seasons advance!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2013, 02:47 PM »
And Captain Olsen will take her ship to the country of her birth next week when Queen Victoria makes a maiden call at the Faroe Islands.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2013, 03:22 PM »
... and hopefully also an excellent captain!

I think all of the Cunard Captains are excellent but I am sure that for a woman to become Captain she would need to be Excellent plus to achieve such a promotion. 

And Captain Olsen will take her ship to the country of her birth next week when Queen Victoria makes a maiden call at the Faroe Islands.

I am sure that Captain Olsen will be making sure that Queen Victoria is tooting her horn when she visits her country of birth!  :)

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2013, 03:49 PM »

That is excellent! I wonder whether the whole population of the Faroe Islands will turn up to greet their famous daughter and her ship! Was this maiden call organised specially for Captain Olsen?

Did QE2 ever visit the Faroe Islands?

Online Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Captain Olsen was telling us all about her plans for sailing to, round and about the Faroes in April, 2012!
She'll be so excited, Do you think she might write it up in the We Are Cunard blog? Hope so!
(Lynda, off topic, cant't resist asking- did you try the new Verandah on Queen Victoria?)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2013, 06:55 PM »
I hope she does write on the Cunard blog about returning home to the Faroe Isles and what that means to her.  Yes Rosie we did try the Verandah restaurant and enjoyed a lovely meal.
www.qe2event.com

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2013, 07:52 PM »
She has been asked for a Blog.

Queen Victoria will also make a call now at Klasvik before spending the day in Tronshavn.

QE2 does not seem to have called at the Faroe Islands.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Nice piece in today's Mail on Sunday about Captain Olsen taking her ship 'home'.

Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Online Lynda Bradford

www.qe2event.com