Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Salt Water Pool Maintenance  (Read 2326 times)

Online Bob C.

Salt Water Pool Maintenance
« on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:27 PM »
There is the obvious material mainenance of the highly corrosive nature of saltwater in a pool whose base structure is steel along with some stainless steel fittings but is there the same kind of water maintenace as for freshwater pools?  Did the QE2's 4 pools get chlorinated? filtered? other treatments?  I'm curious to find out.

One of the reasons for this question is to imagine (having not been onboard those years) what the smells and aromas of the Q-deck pool were when the magrodome was closed.  Obviously there is no detectible smell in open air but when the magrodome is closed, I assume there would have been a higher humidity level along with a blend of sea water, food and other ship aromas.  What was that like?

Offline holynougat

Re: Salt Water Pool Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Swimming pools on ships are  regularly checked for chemical balance, fresh water pools are dumped every month, and spa pools and Jacuzzis are every week.
QE2 had a dedicated 'pool man' and it used to be one of the third officers  in charge of checking the chemical levels, although this became part of the technical department after about 2005.
The salt water did not pose any real issues, if you think that all of the ballast tanks etc use salt water, the ship is set up to deal with the corrosive issues.

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Between 71 and 89 pools were chlorinated, and regularly dumped because of poor filters, bad weather, and....accidents! There was no abilities to fill them with fresh water and QE2 could not afford the fresh water.
Jacuzzi's: When the put the 2 Jacs on Q deck aft, initially they only had 1 filter system for both. When the ship took a list the one would empty into another which would overflow so both would end up half full.
People also thought it was great fun to put liquid soap into them so that going down the Hudson the would be clouds of soap bubbles blowing from the blunt end. Every Deck Engineer used to carry a small bottle of baby oil in his pocket.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2011, 10:57 PM »
I love all these stories!

The things the crew had to deal with while the passengers just enjoyed the facilities or thought of new ways to misbehave  :-\  !

Offline Rod

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2011, 12:34 AM »
When they put the deck jacuzzis on the penthouse suites....forgot to empty them going into NY during winter....skating rinls.!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Where were the deck jacuzzis in the suites?!?!?  I've never heard of these before.

Offline Rod

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2011, 11:54 PM »
Between the bridge and the engineers accom on the balconies. 2 person
may have been just the QM and QE suites? Eng dept did not look after them!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Were they part of the original QM and QE suite plans/construction or were they added  later?

Offline Rod

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Bob, I was still a "down below" Engineer at the time but I think they were original.

Don't forget that when the QM and QE suites were put in, it was extremely "verboten" to go in there. Unless you had business there.