Author Topic: Hello from Simon - final transatlantic (book)  (Read 1905 times)

Vger

Hello from Simon - final transatlantic (book)
« on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:19 AM »
It all seems a while ago now. But, belatedly, hello everyone.

I only travelled once on the QE2, on her final transatlantic crossing, fulfilling a childhood ambition made more urgent by the news that she was to be hauled over to Dubai. It was one of the most memorable trips of my life and I met a lot of very nice people (hello to Martha, and Mary & Graham if you're here).

Please forgive the blatant self-promotion, but I have spent a lot of time this year putting together a book, which attempts to document that final crossing in black and white pictures. I'm a bit of a photographer and I'd be flattered if any of you thought it worthwhile taking a look. It's here

http://www.blurb.com/user/store/ivebeenthere

I'm off to trawl this splendid site now. Maybe catch you later. Cheers. Simon

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2010, 08:49 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Hello from Simon - final transatlantic (book)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:31 PM »
Thanks for posting Simon, it looks great! Might be a nice Christmas present for the people who thought they had all the QE2 books :)

Good luck with it.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Vger

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010, 02:12 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Rob...and I hope you're right

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Welcome Simon.

Looking forward to hearing more about your memorable final crossing experience on the QE2.   I hope you enjoy reading and contributing to keeping the legend alive onboard this forum. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Vger

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2010, 03:07 AM »
Thanks Lynda. It's good to know that there is a group of people who care about it so much to maintain a site like this. Were you on the final transatlantic? I daresay I've come to it so late that that whole subject has been debated to death by now....

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Hello Simon

Unfortunately I did not sail on the QE2 for any of her final season. However as I originate from Clydebank I have been fortunate to have seen her as she was being built, when she towered over the town. I also saw around the ship when she had her original decor and I sailed onboard this magnificent ship five times, which was a dream come true. 

I joined the forum earlier this year so I could share my memories about the ship and enjoy the stories from other members and I have not been disappointed.  I have attached the link to my original post that I wrote when I joined the forum which you may be interested in reading.   

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1585.0.html

I was not on the final tranatlantic crossing but I am sure there are forum members who were onboard.  You should post either in the Service Life (the 2000) if you have any specific information about events on the final crossing.  or a post in Passenger and Enthusiasts memories just to jog people's memories about the final crossing.  It would be really interesting to hear people's memories. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:38 AM »
Thanks Lynda. It's good to know that there is a group of people who care about it so much to maintain a site like this. Were you on the final transatlantic? I daresay I've come to it so late that that whole subject has been debated to death by now....

Hi Simon,

I was on the final Transatlantic going to New York.  Was that the leg you were on?  Or back to Southampton?

-Scott

Later edit:  I see now from looking at the preview of your book you got on just after I got off!
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011, 05:40 AM by Scott Ebersold »