Author Topic: West Gamma oil rig platform (1990)  (Read 8908 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
West Gamma oil rig platform (1990)
« on: Apr 27, 2009, 09:29 AM »
20 August 1990,at sea towards Bergen,Norway the QE2 was called for a rescue operation.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2010, 07:51 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Andrew Collier

Re : West Gamma oil rig platform (1990)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:34 AM »
Wow thats an awesome story, thanks so much for sharing!

Think if i'd been stuck on some skanky rig adrift in that weather and the QE2 had rocked (literally!) up, I wouldnt been a bit more keen to be taken on board it!!

Fascinating to read an exciting extract from the Log....

Louis, have you considered using your experiense to help us out on the Virtual World Cruise?!  ;)

Cheers  Andy 8)
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2009, 01:31 PM »

Hi Louis

That is such an amazing report - and thank you very, very much for showing it to us.

I'm wondering (and you may wish to ignore this one!)- Did the passengers all get very excited - if so, what happened to them - if anything!?
It would have been an awesome experience for those wanting to watch - but if the winds were that strong, then I guess the open decks were all out of bounds.

(I used to sneak out onto the 'bit beneath the bridge' - or the decks at the stern when it was really windy - specially at night - I loved it! 
This was before all the CCTV cameras were installed!)

You haven't mentioned pouring wine in rough weather....yet!!!! 

Thank you again and again - it's great to read your posts.
As Andy mentioned - if you'd like to help us on the World Cruise 2009 that would be fantastic -
I'm going to be daring here - you could choose to be anyone else - even a difficult, cranky passenger!!
(not 'kranken' meaning unwell, tho!)
Cheers
Rosie

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Thats was one hell of a day,its was my first big rough stormy weather at sea, all morning long i was seasick(yes crew also get seasick).I was working then in the old Club Lido.All the chairs in the Club Lido were stored,stacked and tied down on the staboard side.The magrodome area was also all cleared.The pool was emptied and covered with the net there was water coming in through the magrodome roof.The big buffet stand of the portside just before the magrodome entrance turned over.There were passengers walking around but not many.I to would presume that the doors to open decks especially on boat were closed.I was to busy with other things to pay attention for that.
Next is a photo of me sitting in the magrodome area on calmer waters.
Cheers

KEV

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2009, 05:47 PM »
That's a fascinating document relating to the West Gamma Oil Rig Louis. I remember the incident occuring and she sank.As helicopter winching was impossible most or all crew survived by jumping into the sea in their survival jackets tied together in groups of 5/6 and being rescued by vessels nearby. I have been evacuated from an Oil Rig on more than one occassion but it's nice to know that any vessel including the QE2 is always ready to respond to a distress call if needed.

http://home.versatel.nl/the_sims/rig/westgamma.htm

http://www.esvagt.dk/Default.aspx?ID=83

Offline Twynkle

'QE2 was called into a rescue operation...' 1990
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:13 PM »
From the  Herald  - 21 Aug 1990

"The QE2 was called into a North Sea rescue operation yesterday after 49 oilrig workers were trapped aboard an accommodation platform damaged in storm force winds.
The West Gamma platform broke loose from a tow and was being blown south eastby 80mph winds in the Danish Gorm field.
The QE2 was called in to take command of the rescue operation as she made her way from Southampton to Bergen, Norway, for an eight-day cruise of the Norwegian fjords with 1750 people on board..."
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/qe2-takes-lead-in-oil-platform-rescue-1.562639

Sounds interesting, however the guys on the oil rig declined a spell of luxury at winds of 80mph on board QE2!
Was anyone on board?

Trisha

Re: West Gamma oil rig platform (1990)
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:44 PM »
I was on board that day and what a day it was, my new cabin mate Sarah wanted to get off, I said you wont want to get off in this weather darlin,     :-X     best you stay on board.  charlie conti the cabin steward who worked on one deck mid shp. His passengers were all ordering room service, it was so funny, everything in his pantry was  going everywhere and breaking and the passengers continued to order room service, funny or what. That was a cruise to remember with Captain Woodall.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2011, 07:30 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Hello Blondegirl,

You have made quite a dramatic entrance here -- great to see your story of this day! Were you a passenger or crew?

Looking forward to more memories, of this event or others. Welcome to the QE2Story Forum!

Trisha

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Yes ...I was on board that day. The captain picked up the mayday message and announced to the passengers and crew that things would deteriate as we were on our way to a floating oil rig rescue. Gosh did it get rough, it was already rough, the roughest seas Iv ever been in and it got worse by the minute. The captain had a log of the rescue for all the crew to have. Iv still got mine.

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:18 AM »
Hi Blondgirl ... welcome to the QE2Story Forum.  The seas must have been really rough in order for everyone to feel it on the QE2.  During my only transatlantic crossing they had to put the lips up on the dining tables and it was so windy I couldn't push the door open to get on the deck (I thought it was locked, but a crew member assured me it was the wind and I probably didn't want to go outside!) yet it caused just a minor rolling sensation inside.  I'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures on the QE2.

Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Offline harev

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2012, 05:30 AM »
We were on board that day in the North Sea. In all our travels ( over 1200 cruise days) that was the roughest day we encountered. I was the Computer Lecturer on that voyage. A majority of of passengers and crew were sick. We were OK  and lunch ended in the dining room before it was served when everything on the tables went flying across the room. Because of the crew illnesses, we had to suffer through a dinner without a menu with only a choice of steak or lobster and only ice cream for dessert. There was considerable damage to art displays and other wall decorations and displays. We watched the rig and the ocean tugs and helicopter that had arrived for the rescue. While we stood by we watched the activity from the windows outside of the library until the announcement from the captain that we were released. See the pictures attached.

It was quite a day.     Harry & Evelyn Barkan,  Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, USA 

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2012, 07:59 AM »
Welcome, Harry and Evelyn!

That was an extraordinary day to have experienced, and so glad that you took pictures showing both the oil rig itself and the passengers as they watched and waited. Thank you for letting us see them, together with your memories of the day.

The storm must be something to remember for the rest of your life! Did you ever feel less than totally safe on QE2 while it lasted?

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2016, 07:45 AM »
It was yesterday the anniversary of this event

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2016, 05:55 PM »
Harev has reminded me about the link to an excellent article about the accident, that Kev had also posted in post 4. 

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2667.msg4879.html#msg4879
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Erik Kalm

« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Great story!

Thanks for sharing that.

Anyone know exactly what "Full Speed" means?

More Cunard History in West Scotland

Started by Cruise_PrincessBoard Cunard

Replies: 3
Views: 3760
Last post Mar 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
by CAP