Author Topic: QE2 1 - 3 April 1974 -- three boilers contaminated with oil  (Read 15958 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: QE2 1 - 3 April 1974 -- three boilers contaminated with oil
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2023, 09:55 AM »
I was on board working as a Stewardess at this time, it was quite a fiasco with the passengers that were transferred to the Sea Venture, they obviously could NOT take all their possessions with them only hand luggage everything else had to be left behind.
Conditions on the ship were extremely hot, as a Stewardess I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of a cabin with a porthole to sleep the majority of the crew slept on deck.  Food was a problem if a tin of ham was opened it had to be consumed immediately as no refrigeration was available.
As crew we actually had some good times as we waited for the Ocean going tugs to arrive from New York as the Entertainment Staff gave shows for us.
When we arrived in Bermuda 🇧🇲 the majority of the crew flew back to England, I decided to visit friends in Canada and that’s when I made the decision to emigrate.

Thanks Maureen for adding your memory of the incident from a member of the crew's perspective.  It must have been have been quite an experience.

If it wasn't for this incident, I wonder if you would have still decided to emigrate to Canada.  Maybe I was fate!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2023, 10:01 AM »
So great to hear the story from someone who was actually there, thanks Maureen!

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Maureen Kragten-Munsch

« Reply #32 on: Aug 11, 2023, 11:07 PM »
Hello,
I wrote in detail about the experience of staying on board after we had disembarked all the passengers to the Sea Venture, but it must be filed under a different title.  Most crew slept on deck as it was so hot and we had no power, as a stewardess I had the privilege of a cabin with a porthole.  Food was a problem, you open a tin of ham and it had to be eaten that day!   AND don’t forget WE WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BEMUDA TRIANGLE!
Maureen Kragten-Munsch

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #33 on: Aug 11, 2023, 11:15 PM »
Hi,

I have just read through all the posts on this subject and it brought back many memories, let’s face it, we broke down in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle and there were many stories going around amongst the crew.  I remember it being very hot and the transfer of the passengers to the Sea Venture caused quite a bit of upset as belongings other than one bag hag to be left on board.  As a Stewardess I had to deal with a lot of disgruntled passengers.

The crew that were left behind mostly slept on deck as there was no power so consequently no lights.  Food spoilt very quickly in the heat, if you opened a tin of ham it had to be consumed within a couple of hours.

Stewardesses did have a bonus we were allowed to sleep in the passenger cabins with a porthole.

Another bonus for all the crew was the fact that the entertainers were still on board so we had the benefit of music etc.

It was certainly a time to remember......one of many adventures on the QE2 that I will never forget
Maureen (Canada)

Maureen, wonderful to be reminded of your earlier contributions to this exciting topic. Thank you for giving us an insight into how it felt to be on board as a crew member.

I was on board working as a Stewardess at this time, it was quite a fiasco with the passengers that were transferred to the Sea Venture, they obviously could NOT take all their possessions with them only hand luggage everything else had to be left behind.
Conditions on the ship were extremely hot, as a Stewardess I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of a cabin with a porthole to sleep the majority of the crew slept on deck.  Food was a problem if a tin of ham was opened it had to be consumed immediately as no refrigeration was available.
As crew we actually had some good times as we waited for the Ocean going tugs to arrive from New York as the Entertainment Staff gave shows for us.
When we arrived in Bermuda 🇧🇲 the majority of the crew flew back to England, I decided to visit friends in Canada and that’s when I made the decision to emigrate.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2023, 11:18 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #34 on: Jun 15, 2024, 12:50 PM »
From John Chillingworth's LinkedIn Page  Posted with permission -  https://www.linkedin.com/posts/chiefchilly_cruiseships-bermudatriangle-activity-7180431453178974208-5U1r

HOW PUTTING SOMETHING IN THE WRONG HOLE CAN HAVE MAJOR CONSEQUENCES.

50 years ago, today Queen Elizabeth 2 is dead in the water for 3 weeks in the Bermuda Triangle. It's easy for me to remember as it was April fools day.
Extract New York Times

'QE2 lost the use of all three boilers after the feed water became contaminated with fuel oil, attempts to rectify the problem were unsuccessful. Without the boilers producing steam, there was no steam to power the generators or main turbines.
 Thirty-six hours after the problem arose, it was decided to transfer the passengers to another ship. The Sea Venture was sent out from Bermuda after her own passengers were unceremoniously hustled ashore. She arrived on the scene at 03:00hrs on 4, April and stood off at 1000 yards until daybreak. That was when the actual evacuation began.'

The situation arose after a fuel pump had been overhauled. the pumps had a steam jacket to heat oil in cold climates however it was never used and was forgotten about in the operation of the ship.
We started to see oil in the feed observation tank but couldn't figure out where it was coming from, eventually all 3 boilers burnt out through overheating of the tubes with oil contamination on the water side. After 3 days of trying to find out where the oil was coming from, we had opened the condensate system lines and then I saw oil coming out of one of them in the boiler room, as part of the investigation the fuel pump that had been overhauled had just been put on again, trying to recreate what had changed prior to the event. Turns out the mechanic had put the oil pressure gauge line in the condensate hole and the pressure gauge line on the steam jacket hole. Yes the oil pressure gauge wasn't working but they thought it was a faulty gauge. We calculated 30 tonnes of fuel oil got in the boiler water system. It took 3 weeks to clean the system out and partially retube and plug tubes. it was stinking hot and slept on the open deck doing 6 on 6 off for the period.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

The Golden Lion Pub (opened April 2018)

Started by Louis De SousaBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 9
Views: 1066
Last post Jan 16, 2019, 08:38 PM
by Chris Thompson
April 2024 : QE2 entertainers

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (2025 Calendar)

Replies: 3
Views: 430
Last post Apr 22, 2024, 10:14 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Captain Keith Henry Stanley (9 April 1984)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 1975
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:37 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Foster Wheeler Boilers (+ discussion about redundancy)

Started by baconBoard QE2 Concept and Design

Replies: 34
Views: 29628
Last post Nov 13, 2013, 05:54 AM
by Mauretania1907
PS Waverley - Taken out of service requiring new boilers (May 2019)

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 39
Views: 5659
Last post Dec 24, 2019, 02:06 PM
by tramscape