Author Topic: Overnight port stays on QE2  (Read 3639 times)

Online cunardqueen

Overnight port stays on QE2
« on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Where all have you enjoyed an overnight stay in port on QE2.
 Was it an advertised stop or an unscheduled overnighter ?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Overnight port stays on QE2
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2010, 06:06 PM »
As far as I can remember the only overnight stay we had on the QE2 was Quebec in 2003. The ship was scheduled for an overnight stay but because of an aborted call to Newfoundland we had two nights in Quebec which was a wonderful experience to spend so much time in this wonderful city.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:49 PM »
I also had an overnight stay in Quebec City on QE2 in Sept 1998... we were docked right down in front of the beautiful Chateau Frontenac..... and another overnight stay on QE2 in King's Wharf, Bermuda... May 2003. 

QE2 Canuck   Linda C

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Oh yes..... and both were advertised stops..

QE2 Canuck    Linda C

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:23 PM »
First time on QE2 December 1983 we boarded in Southampton at 3am and sat in port for about 24 hours and then had one night out in the channel. (QE2 late arriving from refit in Bremerhaven) This was a cruise to nowhere, we thought we were going nowhere on this one. However, the compensation helped towards another cruise in 1984. Never put me off!

Spent an unscheduled overnight on board in Port Louis & a scheduled Capetown in 2002. Also an overnight on the Tyne on the 40th in 2007 which was scheduled.

My last overnight was the last night on board in Dubai which was not scheduled.  :'(
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010, 05:25 PM by Cunarder Man »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:31 PM »
We had nights in port in Oslo, Amsterdam, and Quebec.

The first of these was my first ever port and the last was my last ever port on QE2. On that final occasion, I spent a fair bit of the night walking around the ship, both inside and out, and taking pictures of all the details that were so beautifully lit.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=55206992@N00&q=qe2+quebec+night&m=text

A night to remember!

We also had several late night departures, e.g. in South Queenferry, Singapore and Mumbai. All of them scheduled, and all of them very special memories. I would not wish to have missed any.

And yet... I did prefer to be out on the sea at night, the gentle rocking of the ship, the vibrations of her strong engines, and the wind in my face before retiring to bed...
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010, 07:35 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:40 PM »
I had a few overnights during the World Cruise during my time places like Auckland, Cape Town, Bombay (Mumbai), Madras (Chennai), Haifa, Hong Kong, Honolulu, Mombasa, Yokohama, Sydney, Manila, Pattaya and during cruising season places like Southampton, New York, Bermuda, Lisbon, Funchal.There was the week in Algeciras for the Ryder Cup in 1997 and of course the overnights in Hamburg during the refits.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:59 PM »
There was the week in Algeciras for the Ryder Cup in 1997.

Tell us more about that one, Louis. I believe it has not previously been mentioned here.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Tell us more about that one, Louis. I believe it has not previously been mentioned here.

Read more here

http://www.gc43.dial.pipex.com/index.htm

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Thank you for that, Louis!

Did people just use the QE2 as a hotel while in Algeciras, or was it a cruise from Southampton to Southampton?

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Did people just use the QE2 as a hotel while in Algeciras, or was it a cruise from Southampton to Southampton?

It was just like a normal cruise

Louis

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2011, 11:27 PM »
Valletta, Malta on her maiden visit there in 1998, Kusidasi, Turkey 2004 and Anstruther, Fife, Scotland....2000.  :)
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2011, 10:07 AM »
  Kusidasi, Turkey 2004   
That was unscheduled. An ill crewmember. If memory serves me correctly they wanted to try an airlift but instead we raced to the port and enjoyed a great overnight visit.

I seem to recall an overnight in Naples as well on a later cruise. We couldnt get into Malta, one of the tow ropes snapped and it didnt take long for Captain Bates to confirm we wouldnt be going there. He mentioned during dinner the previous night that Malta was looking very doubtful given the weather forecast.
As it happened another much smaller ship made it into Malta safely. We just about turned and headed to the next port, one of the unexpected joys of missing  a port of call  :)    Then again we did have a bumpy ride to Capri.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2011, 04:10 PM »
That was unscheduled. An ill crewmember. If memory serves me correctly they wanted to try an airlift but instead we raced to the port and enjoyed a great overnight visit.

Aye, that's right Myles. We went full speed to reach Kusidasi and stayed the night there alongside. We were supposed to anchor there too but the ship didn't need to in the end. That cruise was quite an eventful one.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.