Author Topic: RMS Mauretania (1938)  (Read 15317 times)

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
RMS Mauretania (1938)
« on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:36 PM »
Peter Newall's book on the Mauretania (superb read) has a link to press to hear the Mauretania's whistle. Listen to this and I bet a tear will come to some eyes!

http://www.nauticalbooks.co.uk/peternewall/

Click on "Mauretania's Whistle"

Cheers!
Edmund

Offline Mauretania1907

Re: Mauretania's Whistle
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:33 AM »
O, especially mine, many thanks. That whistle was real steam-driven and sounds it.

Offline Bob C.

Re: Mauretania's Whistle
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:42 AM »
That sound is a real treat.  The high pitch whistle tones mixed in with the throaty bass reverberations combine ever so eloquently for a classic steam whistle sound.  3 cheers for Maury!!!

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Mauretania
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Haven't seen this footage before.

video not available

Great angle and lines! Shows how much loved they were back then.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 10:17 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Chris

Re: Mauretania and Olympic footage
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Fantastic footage!
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Excellent find.

And did you notice who the commentator was?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2010, 06:32 PM »
What a wonderful find and oh so very very sad..can you just imagine how her Captain felt and her loyal passengers......looking at her she was truly a 'ship of state',,,,so sad she isn't still around for us all to see her splendour.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2010, 06:53 PM »
fantastic video.  The related videos are a treasure as well!

Offline Jem

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2010, 11:38 AM »
Thanks, really enjoyed that and the clipped accent was great!

Offline Twynkle

Offline Michael Gallagher

Re: Mauretania
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Although there was discussion on Mauretania and her funeral procession in the topice 'Last rites of Queen Elizabeth', I decided to put this here. When sailing to the breakers:

She progressed slowly up the east coast, under the command of A T Brown, who was master for this final voyage only, passing his home town of Scarborough at 2200 hours on 2 July, and arriving off the Tyne on Tuesday 3 July – where the ship stayed for an hour, and was visited by local dignitaries. On departing the Captain sent to Councillor R S Dalgleish, Lord Mayor of Newcastle, a final message to her place of birth:

“For 28 years I have striven to be a credit to you, and now my day is done. Though I pass on, may Tyneside ever reach out to further and greater triumphs. With pride and affection, I greet you. Farewell. Mauretania”.

And so, on the following day, Wednesday 4 July, she reached her final resting place, Rosyth on the Firth of Forth, where she was broken up.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2010, 04:13 PM »
And a piper played Flowers of the forest....Oh My god....it must have been soo soo soo sad...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Although there was discussion on Mauretania and her funeral procession in the topice 'Last rites of Queen Elizabeth', I decided to put this here. When sailing to the breakers:

She progressed slowly up the east coast, under the command of A T Brown, who was master for this final voyage only, passing his home town of Scarborough at 2200 hours on 2 July, and arriving off the Tyne on Tuesday 3 July – where the ship stayed for an hour, and was visited by local dignitaries. On departing the Captain sent to Councillor R S Dalgleish, Lord Mayor of Newcastle, a final message to her place of birth:

“For 28 years I have striven to be a credit to you, and now my day is done. Though I pass on, may Tyneside ever reach out to further and greater triumphs. With pride and affection, I greet you. Farewell. Mauretania”.

And so, on the following day, Wednesday 4 July, she reached her final resting place, Rosyth on the Firth of Forth, where she was broken up.

Thank you -  A fitting tribute to a great ship.
http://www.maritimequest.com/liners/mauretania_page_1.htm

Offline Chris

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Mauretania features on the cover of our upcoming "The Cunard Story" in her cruising white!

🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2010, 02:42 PM »
That's good news, Chris

Interesting that you've  chosen Mauritania in monochrome
No red and black funnels, eh?!

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2010, 02:44 PM by Twynkle »