Author Topic: Ship's Horns  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Waverley

Ship's Horns
« on: Mar 06, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Found this interesting item

There is an interesting story about these two huge ship’s horns from the RMS Windsor Castle. One was for steam and one was for air and they were mounted on the ship's funnel. These huge Swedish "Super Tyfons" were manufactured by Kockums Mekaniska Verkstad, Malmo, Sweden. The horn controls were situated on the bridge and had a special gate on it that prevented both horns being blown at the same time. One serving Captain had a reputation for being a bit of a show off, and before setting off from Cape Town one day he instructed that the safety gate from the siren control was to be removed. As the RMS Windsor Castle left the port the Captain sounded both horns at the same time and the tremendous noise produced shattered all the light bulbs and many of the glass faces on the panels in the wheelhouse! So now you know why one one horn was ever supposed to be sounded, and not both together!
Robert

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
Re: Ship's Horns
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:23 PM »
Here is the Super Tyfon horn system rescued from the Norway/France in Alang. Magnificent noise!

http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=7210

Wasn't it the NDL liner Bremen - which had 5 whistles and a Nautophone - and terrified passengers by blowing the lot whenever departing Germany?

Cheers!
Edmund

KEV

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:53 PM »
I remember Bremen-all the fish used to jump out the water (and a few divers!)

NairB

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:01 AM »
Here is the Super Tyfon horn system rescued from the Norway/France in Alang. Magnificent noise!

http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=7210

Wasn't it the NDL liner Bremen - which had 5 whistles and a Nautophone - and terrified passengers by blowing the lot whenever departing Germany?

Cheers!

Fantastic....I was privileged to be onboard the France (Norway) in Miami and standing above the Bridge (On the Sky Deck) taking in the view minding my own business, then Captain decided to Blast that horn. I nearly fell overboard with fright....maybe he new I was there and decided to scare the living daylights oot of me hahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D

What a fantastic noise. How could they allow her to be chopped up!!!.... ???

She was beautiful as well. :'(

-NairB :'(

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 02:03 AM by NairB »

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:06 AM »
Here are Norway's horns as they were!

Cheers!
Edmund

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:48 AM »
A bit of an aside but this is taken from "The New Yorker" (1935):

Robert M. Coates, The Talk of the Town, “Toot! Toot!,” The New Yorker, January 19, 1935, p. 10

ABSTRACT: Lengthy talk story about whistles in the harbor; ships signals, etc. Big liners go in for fancy whistles, often having several, and costing up in the hundreds of dollars. The Leviathan, is equipped with three. Most Cunarders have two steamwhistles of regular design, with a fixed pitch. The French Line goes in for steam sirens, which slide up the scale as they blow. The Ile-de-France has three of those. The Bremen has the most whistles of anybody: five, including a thing called a "Nautophone," which is somethin like a giant loudspeaker, only it whistles. Not all the whistles in the harbor during foggy periods are on vessels Many of them are attached to docks, piers, & other structure which, though stationary, are in danger of being run into. Some of the whistles are automatic. The foghorns send out routine warnings. The rest of the tootings come from vessels, speaking to each other as they pass. This they do by a fixed code, internationally accepted. Tells about them.

-----------------------

A "whistling loudspeaker" - sounds interesting!

Cheers!
Edmund

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:30 AM »
Not all the whistles in the harbor during foggy periods are on vessels Many of them are attached to docks, piers, & other structure which, though stationary, are in danger of being run into. Some of the whistles are automatic. The foghorns send out routine warnings. The rest of the tootings come from vessels, speaking to each other as they pass. This they do by a fixed code, internationally accepted. Tells about them.

I love this mental picture of the ships all milling around a harbour, chatting to each other and to the fixed points in the harbour structure! And doing so in their very own language too.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:44 AM »
I have a tape of ships farewelling one which was going to be scrapped. It sounds as if they are all crying for her. Have just viewed the link to the France's horn, there were some views of it, but also her 'nose' (eww) it was up for sale too.

Offline Avariel

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2009, 09:46 AM »
The Costa Classica was docked near our ship - the SuperStar Virgo - on my last cruise. And I was wondering if there was a standard protocol for ships to "greet" each other. Does anyone know ?

Offline Andy F

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2009, 11:45 AM »
I was wondering if there was a standard protocol for ships to "greet" each other. Does anyone know ?

Not that I'm aware of Avariel.  It's certainly not unusual to exchange greetings, especially when encountering vessels of the same or sister lines (e.g. Cunard & P&O for example) but down to the Captains' I believe.  Can be quite amusing though when they do indulge themselves!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

QE2 - Lifespan Compared Other Cunard Ships.

Started by CAPBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 2479
Last post Feb 03, 2014, 09:34 PM
by June Ingram
TheQE2Story.com at The Tall Ships Race, Greenock, July 2011

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 37
Views: 21822
Last post Jul 07, 2011, 09:32 PM
by Lynda Bradford
How many large steam ships are still in service?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 5
Views: 2391
Last post Jul 27, 2020, 06:04 PM
by Bruce Nicholls
Other ships

Started by peter wardBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 8
Views: 3278
Last post May 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
by Rod
Ships in stormy seas