Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Maiden Voyage of Queen Elizabeth  (Read 2333 times)

Cruise_Princess

The Maiden Voyage of Queen Elizabeth
« on: Oct 19, 2010, 07:05 PM »
Been hearing from friends on board en route.......

Seems again its not feeling like a maiden voyage,...this is what happened on the Qv....but having said that anyone who experienced the Marys Maiden in 04 had a hard act to follow....it was out of this world. They did say  however there are a LOT of very experienced ex QE2 crew on board.....and it shows......( Of course it would!!)

On board QE as can also be seen on the Cunard blog so far is Sir David Frost.. ( I would give that a miss)  and the word is that Lulu is coming on board at one of the ports as main Maiden voyage STAR.....she is certainly getting around the ships with Fred Olsens being her mainstay this year...so not TERRIBLY exciting...don't mean to be catty but to be perfectly honest this is just what we expected /..and annoyed as we are we are not on board with our friends and would still want to be  there we have saved a helleva lot of money....so maybe we can put that money to go on a longer cruise to somewhere  we really want to go,.....it;s such a shame that the maidens are just another cruise now ..they did have some media interest at one of the ports and some local entertainment for the passengers coming ashore but that's what was standard with QE2....even in her 40th year of sailing.....all seems a bit flat....shame really for all the folks on board who probably expected an awful lot more........

I'm glad we did the 'special' one on Qm2...who could beat Shirley Bassey and that welcome from Las Palmas with the thousands cheering and doves being released as we sailed in...the departure was even more wonderful than the arrival and we didn't think that would have been possible but it was!!!       What a trip that was....

(No doubt Cunards 'Office will have a few letters to open next week!!)
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2010, 11:47 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Pat Curry

Re: The Maiden Voyage
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Seems again its not feeling like a maiden voyage,

Didn't seem much of a send off either.

Cunard put on a remarkable marketing performance for the maiden voyage departure of QV with her two sister ships QE2, QM2  in S'ton followed by tandem Trannis etc.  The press and media coverage was amazing.

Love the new QE  or hate it, how come its maiden voyage departure was relatively so low key?  Especially since Cunard got HM QE11 to do the honours?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:53 AM »
Didn't seem much of a send off either.

Cunard put on a remarkable marketing performance for the maiden voyage departure of QV with her two sister ships QE2, QM2  in S'ton followed by tandem Trannis etc.  The press and media coverage was amazing.

Love the new QE  or hate it, how come its maiden voyage departure was relatively so low key?  Especially since Cunard got HM QE11 to do the honours?

Don't forget that there will be the tandem maiden QE transatlantic with QV in January, at the beginning of the World Cruise.  I would bet there will be some sort of fireworks display in Southampton.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2010, 07:45 AM »
Don't forget that there will be the tandem maiden QE transatlantic with QV in January, at the beginning of the World Cruise.  I would bet there will be some sort of fireworks display in Southampton.

Hope so, Ken!
And those of us on QV will be able to see it from the bow of the ship - That'll be 'The Place to Be!' :)
(Not my intention at all - to evoke any envy, you understand!
Main worry is having to stare at That Thing above the Bridge on QE for Over a Week!)

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2010, 11:10 PM »
An advertised  'special voyage 'has to give more than a firework display....

Half the time it's not Cunard that pay for that.....with the exception of Southampton of course...It's just to get folks interest and bookings filled....I think it's a shame folks pay all that money . ( I've been stung many's a time )...at the end of the day nowadays it's merely that YOU are there on that particular cruise....doesn't really mean anything else...no real big stars on board...( too expensive of course) no huge arrivals and departures etc...all the stuff we expect....a FREE glass of champers on a maiden sailaway would help....but you have to pay for it of course!  There are sometimes special menus as a keepsake but not always...the shop goes  into overdrive with a one day sale of maiden merchandise which turns into a bunfight ( as on QE this week again so I heard)

Think I was spoiled very much with the Queen Mary's Maiden Voyage....it wasn't the precedent we had hoped for future Cunarders 'Maiden Voyages... and the fact its marketed to death as Maiden Season Voyages doesn't help either....

On looking at the maiden blog today for QE ...it always now seems that the special part is more a CUNARD thing than the passengers with all the hoi polloi coming on at the maiden ports for the plaque exchange ceremony etc....nothing of this is seen by the passengers...
It's merely a press day out to showcase the ship on behalf of Cunard...nowt wrong with that....but I think you know what I mean..
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 06:54 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2010, 10:37 AM »
TOnight is the penultimate evening on the maiden voayge...the last 'glorious formal cunard evening'.....and no baked alaska parade....just an americanised parade of chefs....ok some think the baked alaska naff...but I have been so used to it for so many years I loved it.....part of the old cruising tradition....hence its cast aside...just like QE2....God Bless her...

She's STILL my favourite and always will be!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2010, 03:29 PM »
TOnight is the penultimate evening on the maiden voayge...the last 'glorious formal cunard evening'.....and no baked alaska parade....just an americanised parade of chefs....ok some think the baked alaska naff...but I have been so used to it for so many years I loved it.....part of the old cruising tradition....hence its cast aside...just like QE2....God Bless her...

She's STILL my favourite and always will be!

It would be a shame to lose this. :o  On our last "bargain" Costa cruise they even had it and did it beautifully.  Of course, it tasted much better on QE2.  ;D
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2010, 08:42 PM »
http://qecruise.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/a-maiden-voyage-not-really/#comment-31

On reading the above link you will see I'm not alone in saying that nothing special happens on Cunard special voyages...such as a Maiden of the new Lizzie....maybe glad  I kept my pennies in my pocket after all...as we really knew this was what it would be like. but still wanted to be apart of it with our friends on board...It was..a good cunard cruise but no different to any other...not made special and a severe lack of celebrations....But when this is put to Cunard they don't want to know about it ...thinking they have done everything possible to make it special...so YOU are the awkward passenger.....

don't think so.....nearly everyone on board QV  Maiden said the same..

Again QM2 was the exception and folks who sailed on that expected similar celebrations on the Queen Vic Maiden...

Offline andyh

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Having just returned from the Maiden Voyage, I can tell you it was not just an ordinary cruise, So Sir David Frost was not to your taste, well he was actually very funny and interesting, and the fact that people were standing in the aisles to listen to him is a testament to the vast number of passengers who were interested in what he had to say and received a very long standing ovation at the end.

No Lulu is no Shirley Bassey, but she too filled the theatre, again with standing room only for both her shows, and again she may not be your cup of tea but obviously nearly all the people on this voyage thought different, there were send off's of some sort at most of the ports but again we are in a very different economic climate than we were when the QM2 was launched and there are different priorities, there was some nice things given too us, Silver commemorative medal, Books, certificates, special farewell menu printed.
the voyage DVD had so much on it, it had to be extended over two discs, and many other things going on around the ship all the time.

It sounds a bit like sour grapes to me, we all know there will never be another QE2, this in not a replacement for QE2 this is moving on to the future and having to compete with a far greater number of cruise ships out there than when QE2 started out    

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Andy, thanks for the first-hand review - greatly appreciated!!

Perhaps you'd write us an even longer one when you get a chance?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:21 AM »
   this in not a replacement for QE2 this is moving on to the future and having to compete with a far greater number of cruise ships out there than when QE2 started out         

By virture of the brand Cunard they always set themselves apart from any of the rest. I always felt a Cunard voyage was something special and anything else couldnt compete. Of course lm referring to the QE2 product, l cant speak for these new ships. And lets face it we are still paying premium prices.

It is good to hear the voyage dvd is upto standard again, For a while they were editing in various sequences and the number of shots filmed onboard that particular voyage  was less than perhaps could have been. Indeed twice l have footage of the same weather and same shots of the port we called at.

For whats its worth 3 lots of friends were aboard the Maiden Voyage. Early indications seem it was good......
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:46 PM »
Forum member cruiseqe2 has just uploaded a comprehensive album of over 1,400 photos of Queen Elizabeth, taken on her maiden voyage. Everything we want to see on pictures of Queen Elizabeth is probably here  ;D  :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cruiseqe2/sets/72157625693009730/

My first impression is that she looks a fair bit less brown than Queen Victoria. Reviews of the ship are welcome here!

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: The Maiden Voyage of Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:31 PM »
First impressions are that QE looks very similar to QV but there are probably enough differences for me to think about a cruise on the QE.  Good to see the photos taken by cruiseqe2 and would be interested in hearing more from those who have sailed on the QE.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Jem

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:11 AM »
I think she looks very cosy and comfortable inside. However on the out side she still looks like a huge shaped box, if only she was given a proper stepped stern decks she'd look wonderful. These Vista's have no character.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:11 AM »
.... These Vista's have no character.
Jem - not so sure!
If QE is anything like her Ugly Sista - the QV, this ship definitely has more character than some of the other Vistas that we parked up alongside...
The dark hull for starters, this - together with her distinctive stern - these definitely sets her apart - then there's the funnel with its fine 'collar'!
QV (and QE), on the inside - no other Vista ship has a similar theatre, the atmosphere of the Cafe Carinthia, Queens Room, and the sea-level window tucked away behind the bookshelves in the Library etc.

Yes - it will be good to read more about QE's Maiden calls too, she's off on her Maiden Transatlantic and World Cruise soon!

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010, 07:54 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.