Author Topic: Normandie  (Read 8291 times)

Offline Stowaway2k

Normandie
« on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:58 PM »
to expand on the discussion began in another thread...

color footage is from the DVD video "A Bord du Normandie" distributed by Thalassa... in case you would like to shop for the DVD  ;D

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
Re: Normandie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2009, 05:46 AM »
This is wonderful stuff and an almost unique colour archive of a Normandie voyage. PBS used it in the US - but not seen here in the UK me thinks! It is interesting to compare this with a QM2 voyage - as see on

There is no contest!!

Cheers!
Edmund

KEV

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Saw where she was built at St Nazaire- One hell of a dock-must have been one hell of a ship. 29 boilers? One huge kettle!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2009, 01:11 PM »
I never realised this!

Normandie's whistle lives on!

Here it is, being powered by steam!  Unfortunately the recording equipment has been overwhelmed by the volume so its a bit distorted, but it still sounds lovely compared to new air-powered whistles.  It is such a shame that they couldn't give QM2 a steam powered whistle - even if it wasn't her "official" whistle.  Given that QM2 was built in Normandie's ship yard, and that Normandie is widely regarded as possibly the high-point of transatlantic ocean liner design, it would have been quite nice for her to have her whistle.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2009, 01:20 PM »
AMAZING! What an extraordinary head of steam, and what an awesome sound!

You can see that the onlookers were impressed too, with all the camera flashes going off...

When and where was this taken I wonder -- has the whistle survived the ship?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2009, 01:26 PM »
Oh sorry, for not being clear

If you click on the video to go to YouTube itself, you can see the following description

This whistle was originally used on the French ocean liner SS Normandie. After the ship was destroyed, the whistle was used at the Bethlehem, PA, plant of Bethlehem Steel.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline luzparis

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2009, 11:37 PM »
when I heard the sound !! horrible sure it's not on site on the top of the funnel !!but it's strange !!

Offline luzparis

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2009, 04:01 PM »
which Normandie you prefer? the the first version without the lounge or the one with  tourist class  lounge on back ?  I prefer the second version  
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2009, 04:03 PM by luzparis »

Offline luzparis

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2009, 04:09 PM »
the first version without the lounge

Online Bob C.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2009, 05:32 PM »
She just looks so massive sitting next to QM.  I wish I could have gone on board.  Great photos Luz, thanks!!! 

Oh by the way, if anyone ever gets to QM in Long Beach, there is an outstanding cut away model of Normandie there as well as a few others (no QE2 though).
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2009, 05:34 PM by Bob C. »

Offline luzparis

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2009, 10:46 AM »
oh massive she was not very massive !! the hull was so aerodynamic!! and so modern!
look this beautiful web site  http://www.alae.us/Normandie/

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Thank you, Pat, for this excellent site!

It is amazing to think that, in terms of speed, the greatest ships of the Normandie's era were so far ahead of what we can produce now...

And, while I really like Art Deco dating from its own period, the modern pastiche rarely manages to recreate the simplicity that underlies all those gorgeous surface details and those opulent materials.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2009, 11:58 AM »
Wonderful Normandie website Pat, thanks for sharing! 

Offline luzparis

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2009, 12:33 PM »
one picture of the masterpiece of this ship !! for me the most beautiful space was the First dining room
86m long

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Here is a video clip taken from the copy of "L'Illustration';
a lovely book (1935) that was given to the first passengers to sail on Normandie
Thanks to 31051935

Any Photoshop experts here? (QE2/Normandie hybrid)

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 25
Views: 7045
Last post May 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
by Peter Mugridge