Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Normandie  (Read 5245 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: Normandie
« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Whilst searching for RMS Queen Elizabeth's whistle
I found this
thanks to parrotlect

it comes from a really interesting site, recently refurbished -  about whistles and horns
http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/index.php
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #21 on: Sep 26, 2010, 06:21 PM »
That was Mr. Ocean Liner himself, Bill Miller pulling the rope there.  Pretty cool that ConEd supplied the steam from the NYC system for this demonstration.  FYI, those are true whistles.  ;)
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Matteo 91

« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2012, 02:21 PM »
I was in Le Havre two years ago ...  they often stage some interesting initiatives to celebrate their ocean liners' legacy. The one I visited was an exhibition with panels all around the city, showing beautiful pictures from the maiden voyage of the Normandie.

Note - All photographs below are my photographs taken of the panels around the city, in public areas.

Here are my favourites:

Boarding in le Havre, home port of the Compagnie Génerale Transatlantique (France's flag carrier).

As if the ship wasn't enough famous, the designers placed on the lido deck a huge, illuminated panel, bearing the liner's name.

May 23, 1935, departure! Boarding of the rich passengers' cars in the onboard garage.

After having passed the Bretagne, the liners enters the Atlantic Ocean at never before experienced speeds: 32 knots. 

Onboard life can begin on a liner that has more space for first class (70 % of the internal volume) than all the others! Indoor swimming pool:

Tearooms and fumoirs ...

Can you imagine this floating art déco temple in colour?
During the crossing, the movie "Pasteur" by Sacha Guitry is showed in the onboard cinema.

The famous first class hall, 50 meters long, 10 meter high.

First class bar ...

Private living room of a first class cabin ...

Captain's quarters. Captain Pugnet was so vain that he placed a big portrait of himself in his room...  :D

The triumphal maiden arrival in New York, wearing the blue riband. The city is leaping with joy for the french flagship and dozens of boats welcome her at the Ambrose light.

The slow Hudson sail, until pier 88. I think this picture is more like a Renoir painting.

And finally, the docking maneuvers, with the help of the tugboats.

I like the fact that Le Havre is proud of its heritage: every year there's an exhibition about french liners.
This one (about the France) begins in june:

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2012, 08:05 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline luzparis

« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Very nice pictures matteo . This ship was a definitely a master piece

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2013, 03:12 PM »
Just reading one of Bill Miller's books which surprisingly states that Normandie had a relatively unstable hull design which greatly contributed to her capsizing during the fire--knowing this her naval architect wanted to open the sea cocks and let her settle upright, the the Navy would hear none of it.  This was supposedly also known to her operators.  Also, she had split boiler uptakes to create huge interior spaces, but it had previously been determined when both Leviathan and Majestic deverloped huge cracks that this greatly weakens a ship.  When desigining United States, William Francis Gibbs broke up the public rooms rather than making this mistake.  Interesting stuff.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2013, 03:34 PM »
Those divers were hard men. Going down through the brash ice to work blind in a sewage rich debris field. If I had a hat on I'd take it off to them.
Full Away on Passage.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2020, 10:50 PM »
Amazing footage of Normandie here

Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Good find Rob.  What a fantastic piece of maritime and social history - the vintage cars in Paris, the passengers embarking the ship, the stylish clothes (both men and women), the steam tugs, wooden lifeboats, deck games and how people have dressed when playing these games.  Evening wear, the decor of the ship and the arrival at New York - AMAZING!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2020, 12:12 PM »
ss Normandie was well ahead of Queen Mary technology wise when built.

Turbo Electric propulsion being one of the advances! So her steam turbines to generate power to drive electric propulsion motors.

Great vid !

Gav