Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Kindlychap

Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth
« on: Oct 13, 2010, 10:44 PM »
I'm confused. I really am.

I fully understand the love for QE2 - I know I spent more time on board than a lot of posters here - and I share the deep regret that she is no more* and completely agree that nothing can replace her.

That really goes without saying.

But why the animosity towards the "Cruising Queens"? It seems that the more vocal the objection, the more likely it is that the opinion is from one who has not been aboard.

I would actually prefer to sail on QV/QE than QM2. Am I alone?

Matthew

* In the sense of a working ship.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2010, 04:16 AM by Kindlychap »
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:16 PM »
From my point of view, having seen pictures of the interior of QV / QE(3) I think I'd quite like them.

But I still hate their external "floating block of flats" design; plus appearances aside if I do book I'd want to be in one of the hull cabins, not a balcony one.  If I go on a boat, I want it to feel as if I'm on a boat.

That's the main thing; the other thing is that I would feel more comfortable on board something that was built as a liner rather than a cruise ship for all the reasons that have been heavily discussed on other threads.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2010, 12:22 AM »

I fully understand the love for QE2 - I know I spent more time on board than a lot of posters here - and I share the deep regret that she is no more* and completely agree that nothing can replace her.

But why the animosity towards the "Cruising Queens"?

I suppose it is just because we are all different after all!

While we have met here because everyone in this Forum, somehow or other, loves the QE2, we also have many other interests and passions besides.

And these need not be identical for all of us -- indeed, we know they are not. And if we even just stay with ships, rather than straying into other areas of our lives, some of us like the faster and some the slower ships, some the bigger and some the smaller, some the classic and some the latest and most modern. It is just human nature. And most of us, if we have the time and the opportunity, will head towards what we already know we like -- which for some of us means the latest Cunard cruise Queens, while for the rest of us, it might be something totally different. There is no harm in any of this. So long as we realise that our own tastes are not compulsory for others!  ;D

And mine are a bit mixed-up... ;)

I shall be seeing a few more of the old classic liners remaining in service, I hope... and then, I really want to see some ships that are utterly modern, totally of this day and age!

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth -- why or why not?
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2010, 12:58 AM »
I agree with Kindlychap.

Having crossed the North Atlantic in winter aboard Queen Victoria, I would not hesitate to do so again, or on Queen Elizabeth.

Nobody really likes the "container ship" or "floating block of flats" look, but if this is enough to keep one off ships, then ships are not in that one's future.

For one who simply enjoys being aboard a ship at sea, the external appearance is ultimately of no consequence.  Except Carnival, can't stand that funnel.   ;)

Afterall, if going on a cruise, what's wrong with a cruiseship?  As for transatlantic crossings, QV has proved herself to be up to the challenge, and no doubt QE will be equally fine.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Having never been on QE2 perhaps I'm not in a position to comment but I've been on her replacement 3 times. QV this year was excellent but I just couldnt get over some of the cost cutting measures eg the deck material. Dont get me wrong I understand why (upkeep etc) but wish that Carnival had just let Cunard stand above the rest as the premium brand in their portfolio and specced QV & QE up to the level of QM2 with regards to fixtures and fittings. QV feels solidly built and I didnt feel any less at ease on her than I did on QM2.

There were parts of QV I really liked - getting right to the stern and feeling close to the water is a good example. The Commodore club has a fantastic view by day and is an excellent place to go of an evening - better in a way than QM2's. The only disappointment was the Chart Room which feels more like a wee layby in a passageway that a real space - which was the reason we loved QM2's Chart Room.

But none of the above will keep me away from either vista vessel.
Anyone who doesnt at least give them a try is missing out big time - just dont go during the School Hols  >:(
Gav

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Good for you Matthew !! I heartily agree with you (with one exception).... Lately I have been getting a bit upset with all the name-calling and animosity toward the new Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria.  I sailed on QE2 8 wonderful voyages and I miss her very much.... but that is not going to prevent me from enjoying the new ships.... However, being in Canada and just hating to have to fly.... in order to travel on the "cruising queens" out of Southampton, I'll always choose Queen Mary 2 for my transatlantic crossing... just feel safer on her.   The only thing I do not like on QE and QV are their "back ends", their sterns... I'm very partial to the gentle sloping decks at the back of QE2 and QM2....Don't like the "chopped off" look.
I am eagerly waiting for the time I get to meet QE and QV.

QE2 Canuck   (Linda C)

Offline Jem

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2010, 05:31 PM »
I go on QM2 this Nov. I choose her over QV and QE3 because I like the 'look' of a traditional liner. I crossed the Atlantic in mid 60's to Canada on the USSR Alexandr Pushkin (now Marco Polo) a small liner and ever since then I've loved being at sea. If only QE3 and QV looked the part and had a curved stern I'd be more likely to go on them. I like vessels to look the part and not floating apartment blocks all looking no different from each other apart from the paint scheme. :(

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I don't think people should take it personally when others disagree with their opinions, but I think some do.  Its a free world.  There is freedom of speech.  The internet makes this especially possible and so far on this forum everybody's been very well behaved and i'm not aware of any personal insults ever being made.

This forum is about QE2.  This section about the Vista Queens is off-topic for this forum and not even visible to casual browsers.  If you are a big fan of cruising with cunard today, and wish to enthuse about it and discuss it, you are probably better served by one of the many other websites dedicated to cruising, most of which have special Cunard sections.    As I stated elsewhere recently, I have my doubts about whether this section should even be here.

My personal opinion of QE/QV is...
(1) The name.  Absolutely my biggest concern or I would simply ignore her  I would have picked it too, had I been Cunard, it makes business sense BUT it confuses people.  It degrades the predecessors AND the current unique and amazing flagship.
(2) She's not a Clydebuilt Queen.  I'm not a Cunard fan.  I'm not a Cruising fan.  I'm not interested in cruise ships.  I don't take, or intend to take, cruising holidays. My passion is absolutely for the first 3 Queens, built where I live, at the yard my dad worked.  As a result of this, I am also partially in their successor QM2 and may take a transatlantic at some point.
(3) I think she looks absolutely horrendous outside.  No two ways about it.
(4) I don't like the old-fashioned interiors at all - I prefer modern forward looking design which British designers ARE capable of, but foreigners often don't realise this.  The interiors lack imagination.  They're also very brown.
(5) I'm also a car-nut.  And in the same way, modern cars now do nothing for me and for the first time in 30 years I have stopped buying new car magazines.  The latest incarnation of my beloved Mini is built in Austria, has 4 doors, is huge and far too expensive.  So I have switched to an interest in old cars. 
(6) I did enjoy my 4 hour visit to QV a few months ago, and I hope you all have fun on board her and her identical sister!

BUT at the end of the day, its entirely personal and we have to allow each other to have different opinions, especially on a forum that is not about this topic.

One final nail in QE for me is that she has QE2's Bust, Bell and Plaque - there is no WAY these 3 items should have been removed from QE2 before her fate is decided.  Its absolutely terrible.  How could they.  The plaque and bell belong on QE2 until she is dragged onto the beach, and the Bust is the CENTREPIECE of one of THE MOST ICONIC MARITIME ROOMS ever created.  Its a disgrace its been removed.   Attempts are being made to save QE2 and come up with a viable and sympathetic plan for her future and I simply don't comprehend how people want to start stripping her while they're still working out what to do with the greatest ship in the world.  Our ship.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2010, 03:35 AM »
I can sense a Save The QE2 campaign!!

If we don't all start supporting those with plans for her we'll lose her!!

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Its the flat design I don't like. I really do try and find the good in the cruising Queen's. At certain angles they do look great and their interiors are wonderful.

Please can we have Save The QE2 campaign? Atleast then her owners will have guidance and advice from us. Write them a friendly letter and they might listen.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:32 AM »
I'm confused. I really am.

But why the animosity towards the "Cruising Queens"? It seems that the more vocal the objection, the more likely it is that the opinion is from one who has not been aboard.

I would actually prefer to sail on QV/QE than QM2. Am I alone?

I can relate to what you are saying.  I have loved the QE2 since the first time I saw her when she was being built and always will love her. But as I can no longer sail on her I have choosen to sail on other ship including  both the QM2 and the QV.  The QM2  decor is  outstanding  and the ship is just that bit different, but it can be a bit difficult to find your way around ship because of the size. I have sailed on the QV four times and thoroughly enjoyed each trip and hope to sail on the new QE at some point in time. I agree that people can have an opinion about the new ships, particularly the design but there is nothing to beat the experience of being onboard. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com