Author Topic: Mr Frank Pollard, QE2 Engineer  (Read 3280 times)

Offline steve

Mr Frank Pollard, QE2 Engineer
« on: Oct 13, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Hi,
 my name is Stephen Pollard, from Manchester England.
I am trying to find out about a member of your staff MR FRANK POLLARD.
Frank was my Uncle. Unfortunatley he was taken off the QE2 when it was in the falklands transporting troops in the war there. Shortly after he died.

He worked in the engine room of the QE. and QE2.
I am trying to find out as much as possible about him, he spent a lot of time living with us when i was young.

If there is anyone out there with story's or pictures I would be very greatful to hear or see them.

Thank You.
Steve.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 08:49 PM by Alan Snelson »

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
Re: Mr Frank Pollard
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum Steve. You've come to the right place to start the search for information for your Uncle.

I also worked in the engine room of the QE2 but didn't join Cunard until 1984, so I never knew your Uncle. However, there would have been crew that both he and I would have known, as some of the 'old hands' had also worked on the original QM & QE. There might be some forum members who remember your Uncle. There may be others who are not yet members of the forum who visit the website who might be interested in joining if they see your Uncle mentioned, so keep checking back.

Do you know what position he had on the ship? There were Asst Mechanics, Mechanics, Electricians and other trades in the Technical Department? Perhaps he was an officer?

Take a look at https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1032.0.html

You should find some interesting posts and photos relating to the engine room there. I'm pretty sure your Uncle would recognise the engine room photos.

Also https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,971.0.html relates to the last steam crossing of the Atlantic by the ship, which you might find interesting.

The ship was steam driven until 1986, when she went for a 6 month refit in Germany for it's Diesel/Electric conversion.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline steve

Trying to find out about MR FRANK POLLARD - Engineering Dept.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:00 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to find out about Mr Frank Pollard, who worked on the "Queen Elizabeth" and the "Queen Elizabeth 2" in the Engine rooms.
Frank is my uncle and when he was off duty he used to come and stay  with my dad and my family. When the QE2 was seconded for use in the Falklands war Frank was taken Ill and flown home where he later died. I have been trying to find out about his life aboard the Ships ever since. I am hoping that someone out there remembers Frank and tell me a bit about life aboard the Ship and about Franks life and what he was like as a shipmate.

Please help if you can.
Steve.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014, 05:32 PM by Alan Snelson »

Offline Rod

Re: Trying to find out about MR FRANK POLLARD - Enginerring Dept.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Rod Fair here former Engineer. Frank as I remember him was great to work with. None of the attitude that some of the older folk sometimes had with green engineers. He was always great with me.