Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Trial for story with photos  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Tom Carreyette

Trial for story with photos
« on: Oct 08, 2010, 06:36 PM »
I’m just thinking about how I might present my Introduction story here on this board along with photos. If I want to write text around them I might need to embed photos into a Word File then paste the whole thing into the website posting box. First I’ll try this for size. It is a 247 KB JPEG file. When there are several photos I might need to make them smaller - there could be 6 or a dozen, depending on what proves feasible. If this doesn’t work I can always try attaching them together at the end, just referencing them in the text as you read through. I’ve got a bit of work to do scanning slides etc before I get an appropriate selection together, to go with my story, maybe next week. This is just an initial trial, which I can probably delete so as not to waste space, once I get the proper version uploaded.

(Embed didn't work, so I'll try attaching - it says up to 4 @ 250 KB - so I'll have to think about that. I'm not sure how Richard Drayson did it - looked like an enbed to me, or was the link you gave me to an external website?)

Taken 20/9/07 from mv BALMORAL during the QE2’s evening departure from the Clyde. She was already moving quite fast, speeding away from us, though you wouldn’t know from the wake. Clearly she has the efficient hull form of an ‘Atlantic Greyhound’.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2010, 06:48 PM by Tom Carreyette »
Tom Carreyette

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Trial for story with photos
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2010, 12:19 AM »
Great picture! It must have been a spectacular departure...

For uploading pictures with your message, there is some guidance here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2337.0.html

Those of us who embed pictures in our text, have them uploaded somewhere else, e.g. in Flickr. If yours are already hosted somewhere, you could try whether you can integrate them into your message. I know that for Flickr this works and could show you how.

If you do not yet have a photo account, Flickr is free of charge up to 200 pictures, and that might be a good start?

You can also upload your pictures to the Forum Gallery and post a hyperlink in your message.

Offline Tom Carreyette

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Thanks for advice Isabelle.

I'm at my Mum's for the weekend and didn't bring all the files I need. Maybe I'll get it done next weekend. I might just go for the easy option of attaching 4 image files. Some of them might be more than 1 photo stitched together. Been enjoying what I've seen so far.

Cheers
Tom
Tom Carreyette

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Permission to interrupt here...!

Tom - that's a great image of the You, the Liver birds, the Muddy Mersey and QE2!

Rosie

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Tom, will reply more later, but i was on board Balmoral with you that wonderful day.  I was on board again in October 08, but nothing came close to being alongside QE2 that evening in 2007.  Amazing.  One of the very best days of my life.

Here are my photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/sets/72157602100953447/ in case you haven't seen them - maybe you're in some of them (and vice versa).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.