Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Watching QE2 from Fort Victoria, Isle of Wight, 1985 / 1986  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Here we have QE2 passing Fort Victoria inbound to Southampton on 31st July 1985; note in particular the number of people who have turned out to see her despite this being the pre-internet age when, as I mentioned on another thread, the only real way for the holidaying public to know she was due was a weekly "Sailing in / sailing out" column in the Sunday Express, or a chalked message on a board outside the Fort's café.

In the first picture, she seems to fit the landscape of the area extremely well doesn't she?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
Re: 31st July 1985
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2010, 12:48 PM »
...and here is the 5th picture from the above sequence ( limit of four per post ).
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
1st August 1985
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Outbound from Southampton on 1st August 1985, QE2 passes Fort Victoria in ideal weather for marine photography.  Three more pictures to follow in the next post.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
Re: 1st August 1985
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2010, 12:53 PM »
...the rest of the above sequence.

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2010, 04:43 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos Peter. It wasn't often that the ship took this route into or out of Southampton. She would normally have gone via the Nab Tower and Eastern Solent. In fact I can only remember one occasion (probably this one shown in the photos) when this route was taken.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Not so, surprisingly - during the 1980s she went this way more often than not, at least during the summer months.  I've actually seen her there more than I have in Southampton! :)

From 1981 onwards our family holidays were on the IoW and at this time they were still overnighting in Southampton, which guaranteed us at least two days each holiday on which we would see QE2.  If the timing was right then as they were still doing fast Atlantics in those days a two week holiday would potentially allow four QE2 days at the Fort. :)

Edited for typo.  "Font" instead of "Fort"!  D'oh! ::)
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2010, 09:54 PM by Peter Mugridge »

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:07 AM »
I've had a rethink on this Peter and I think you're right. I can remember several occasions when the ship left Southampton and proceeded towards the Western Solent towards Hurst Castle/ The Needles.
The pilot used to disembark from the bunker station shell door on 5-deck as the ship picked up speed. He would always ask if there was any late mail that he could post for us. Happy memories  :)

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
8th August 1986
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2010, 10:31 PM »
Another set of photographs from Fort Victoria, obviously not the full set but while it would be nice to put them all up there is little point in just posting what are effectively duplicates of previous ones.  For this set I have chosen to start with one showing part of her adoring crowd in the foreground and Hurst Castle in the background.  Second is another showing part of the crowd - I wonder if the lady taking a picture is a forum member?

The final two are pictures with a difference; one is shot through an arch at the Fort ( this arch is now occupied by a planetarium so the picture is unrepeatable with any ship ) and the last one has her receeding up the Solent towards Southampton.

And I have something very special for you all coming up in my next set showing her departure the following day... ;)

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
9th August 1986 - a fantastic evening.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Well, I promised you all something special, and here it is!  This, I think, has to be probably my most spectacular QE2 memory of them all; can you imagine being able to watch QE2 at dusk with all her lights on, slipping past some extremely outstanding scenery for the best part of an hour, waiting as she gets closer and closer before dashing past as she put on a huge burst of steam?

Well, it happened... her departure from Southampton on 9th August 1986 was delayed by some problem or another - I forget what ( Michael... Any ideas please...?? ) - and as a result, with the help of the local radio station keeping people informed, we were able to position ourselves on Headon Warren to watch her all the way from Calshot almost to the Needles.  Strong winds forced the abandonment of the original plan to be right on top of Headon Warren in order to watch her actually pass the Needles, but that was no great loss compared to what I did capture on camera; she would in any case have been too far out to get a good picture including the Needles.

I must apologise for the graininess of these pictures; unsurprisingly I had to use ASA1000 film...  These pictures were taken in the space of just 10 minutes, from 21.11 to 21.20 that evening.

Now - enjoy! :)

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
Re: 9th August 1986 - a fantastic evening.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Continued...

Notice the long trail of exhaust in the last picture, and remember - she was still a steamship at this time. :)

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Close ups of the best three from the above...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2010, 09:21 AM »
What a great sight of QE2 steaming south west; Peter. thank you for posting
I wonder who was her Master at the time - Captain Portet perhaps?
Wasn't it just two and a half months before she finished with steam...?
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2010, 09:26 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2010, 10:19 AM »
What a great sight of QE2 steaming south west; Peter. thank you for posting
I wonder who was her Master at the time - Captain Portet perhaps?
Wasn't it just two and a half months before she finished with steam...?

I've just looked at my Record of Sea Service and yes, I can see that Laurence Portet was Master on this voyage.
I'd have been on there also, as I rejoined the ship on12/7/1986 after crew leave and stayed on 'til 26/10/1986.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Rich, if you'd like me to mail you the pictures from this ( or any of the other dates I've posted pictures for on which you were aboard ) so you can enjoy them without the watermark, just PM me your e-address. :)

Tywnkle - yes, I believe this was getting very close to her conversion to diesel.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Watching QE2 from Isle of Wight
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Message from Barrie Evans, together with a great photo :

Hi Every one.

This photo was taken of the QE2 when we were on holiday, as she passed through Colwell Bay on her way to the Needles, Isle of Wight.

I'm not sure of the date when the photo was taken, but looking how short my shorts are, the date may be in the 80s?

Also there may be a clue,  if you look at the black smoke from her funnel, perhaps may indicate which fuel she was running on?  Maybe some passed crew members will have the answer?

Barrie Evans

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Watching QE2 from Fort Victoria, Isle of Wight, 1985 / 1986
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2012, 05:04 AM »
The photo was taken sometime between the after Falklands Refit and the big Refit in 1987.