Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach  (Read 105065 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #90 on: Jun 08, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Hi Julie, and welcome to the Forum!

As you can see, I have moved your message into a thread that will answer many of your questions. If you manage to go to Long Beach (and I hope you will!), we shall be looking forward to your traveller's tales. Myles (Cunardqueen) above has already made us realise what a treasure she still is.

jadherrick

« Reply #91 on: Jun 08, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Thank you have been through all replys and all looks good....printing off to read later
Thank you again.......By the time we return from our cruise in March we will be Platinum members. My partner and I will be so proud. We are cruising on Queen Elizabeth in Novemember and go to NY on QV in Jan to see the 3 queens. We were on QM2 in 2008 for the then 3 Queens inc QE2 which was fantastic. We shall be in battery Park this time watching from dry land.
Love the web site

xxxxx

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #92 on: Jun 08, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Julie,
    My family and I stayed onboard for 2 nights about 4 years ago.  All the rooms are comfortable and the ship is thrilling to explore.  If you do get a room closer to the bow or stern then be prepared for a sloping floor since QM's decks are sheered - higher on the ends, lower in the middle.  We stayed on B Deck aft and there was quite a slope.  It was originally a second class stateroom on the starboard side just aft of the original tourist class men's and ladies hair dressing salon.

If you are looking for the full QM experience then get one of her original rooms (as built) on the Main Deck and I believe there may be a few on A Deck.  The room we stayed in was originally two staterooms and expanded during her conversion.  It was an average hotel room but I found it interesting to research what the original configuration was. 

Also try to get a room on the starboard (right) side of the ship.  That way you have "ocean" and Long Beach views.

Enjoy!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #93 on: Jun 08, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Julie

As for booking a cabin, l would tend to call them up and explain what you want, Thats what l intend to do for next year, l just need to know what shift he will be working ;)  Using a booking agency they will just give a bog standard room

Now another tip is are you in the AA (and no l dont mean friends of Bill W) if you are and your card shows on the back the logo "show your card and save" you might/will and should be able to participate in the tripple AAA Club (the American AA) you can check out their rates and save some $. The Queen Mary website shows how much you can save. Some companies accept it no problem, others wont have a clue what your on about , but blagg away !!! you have nothng to lose (that goes for most American hotels ask for the "Tripple A" discount.

As Bob C says. try and ask for an original cabin, and prepare to be amazed. Do take time to look at all the nooks and crannies in the cabin, and remember how old it all is.
Weekends are pretty busy, mid weeks are quieter and you must try the Sunday Brunch...

Another thing, do feel free to ask any questions on here, you can be assured of a good honest answer.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #94 on: Jun 09, 2010, 01:40 AM »
Hi Julie,

Your timing is good, because Hotel Queen Mary has improved greatly under new management.

I've stayed over many times, and it never gets old.

My best advice is, when checking in, ask to see a few available rooms, and then choose the one you like best.   No two cabins on the Queen Mary are exactly the same, actually the differences can be startling.  When  making your booking be sure to request an "original condition first-class cabin with a harbour view".  Don't say "starboard", that'll just confuse them.  ;)
While the port cabins are equally stunning, the view of the parking lot isn't.  Some are directly over the service yard and you sure don't want one of those.
Why stay on a ship and not see the water from your cabin porthole? 
None of the cabins are in, strictly speaking, "original condition", but some have been tragically "modernized" and you don't want one of those.   All will have a mini-fridge, flatscreen television, Ipod docking, and internet capability.
There are fine first class cabins on Main, A, and B decks, all midships, so don't worry about which deck, unless you want a deluxe suite which are all on Main Deck.

Like Myles said, don't be shy about asking questions.   ;D

jadherrick

« Reply #95 on: Jun 09, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Thank you all.............we plan to put by some time next Wednesday evening to sort it all out and I will ring and book as you suggest. This might be our one and only visit....better do it right.
By the time we have been on the QM we will have succeeded to be on all of the main cunard Liners, except the first QE that is. being my partners aim.
We have defered flights for 3 nights at the beginning of our cruise ....I am still unsure whether to take all 3 on QM or fly to Las Vegas for 1 night..............any suggestions here?  I would like to see Donny and Marie, but if there is plenty to do in and around Long Beach we will  stay and absorb all given to us.
PS we live in UK

xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #96 on: Jun 09, 2010, 02:07 PM »
From my experience (been there multiple times), Vegas in 1 night is very difficult - too much to see and do.  I'd make a separate and/or longer visit if possible. 

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #97 on: Jun 09, 2010, 08:06 PM »
I guess its personal choice but to maximise your time Checkin on the QM is from 4pm depending on how busy they are your room maybe ready earlier. So you could plan to arrive around lunch time have a snack onboard leave the cases with the bellboy and go off exploring then checkin when the cabin is ready. Already by then you will get an idea to the ship. If there are conferences on the ball room may be out of action, but they do include the self guided tour for hotel guests. That is good in that you can pace yourself as to how slow or quick you do it.  There is a tour in the evening which is the only one which shows you the swiming pool, l enjoyed that. For what its worth l stayed two nights and the seond day gave me longer to explore,but lm looking at going back for 3 nights and maybe to explore Long Beach, I have no idea what Long Beach has to offer. Checkout time on QM is noon

I did post last night the hotel directory have a read of it, it gives an insight as to some of the things, menus etc

Las Vegas in a night!!! I think as Bob C says its possible in one night, Im not sure l could spend a week there BUT a weekend is a nice break, l would suggest you go for  a hotel in the middle of the strip. l stayed in the MGM Grand, Nice BUT it was just a hotel, no wow factor and just slightly out of the action. And no matter what time of day or night Its always busy,  just wasnt prepared for how busy it was and time does pass you by l was parading the street at 2.30am totally unaware of the time, and it felt safe there. It might surprise you just how cheap the hotels are even at weekends they are still resonable, well compared to the UK
 On a side note lm paying £170 for  a night in Glasgow in 2 weeks, the price lm choking on and do find hard to swallow, But thats me.
 Oh congratulations on managing to travel on the major Cunard ships ;D

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #98 on: Jun 09, 2010, 08:41 PM »
For one of my stays on the Queen Mary, I took with me some select items from my liner collection.
Original in-service items from the Queen Mary, back on board again, in cabin A152

seen are a tea service which includes tea cup and saucer, pitcher, creamer and  sugar; an espresso cup and saucer, cabin telephone (only in 1st cl. cabins), a silver vase, ashtray and matchbook, cigar ashtray, and cabin thermos,  
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2010, 02:26 AM by Stowaway2k »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #99 on: Jun 11, 2010, 02:03 AM »
What a fabulous idea, Kyle, to "stage" the room the way is was. :)  Too bad they could not get replicas made and use them....scratch that....they'd never stay aboard the ship.   ::) I do wonder if a replica phone could be made with modern innards though...
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #100 on: Jun 17, 2010, 09:39 PM »
mea culpa.  My memory failed me!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #101 on: Jun 18, 2010, 11:17 AM »
I wonder what housekeeping thought when they entered the room... ;)

jadherrick

« Reply #102 on: Jul 28, 2010, 11:36 PM »
Dear All,
Have just booked our 3 night stay on the QM..........wwwhhhoooo.........Feb - Mar 2011
will let you know all about our stay........prior to QV and Panama Canal Cruise and my 50th birthday !!!!!!!
Lot of Love
Julie xxxx

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #103 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:58 AM »
Julie,
 I just know you will enjoy the old lady, when you do embark she will grab hold of you! I was must surprised at how much l enjoyed my time on her last year, So much so that by the time you are there l will have been and gone again.
 If its any help, the directory of services has been scanned and is on here, its tells to a load of stuff before you embark so you can be prepared.
 Have fun!! and a Great 50th!
 Myles

jadherrick

« Reply #104 on: Jul 29, 2010, 09:15 AM »
Thank you Myles, so excited about our stay, but then we are for all our stays with Cunard. Decided against Las Vegas and to spend our time totally with QM and Long Beach.................

What is our best form of transport from the airport?
How long will it take?

Enjoy your future stay...dont take too much away with you when you leave her :-)...........
.i may even see with your eyes, hopefully.
We are lucky to own the naming ceremony programme so i will try to absorb some of the history before I go.

Love Julie xx

Queen Victoria temporarily taken out of service

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 15
Views: 4770
Last post Oct 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
by CAP
Queen Anne Suite

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 9
Views: 1400
Last post May 01, 2020, 12:49 AM
by Thomas Hypher
Visit of The Queen 2 June 2008

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 8
Views: 6330
Last post Sep 09, 2022, 08:00 AM
by QE2forever
Queen Elizabeth's crew celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 4
Views: 1861
Last post Apr 22, 2016, 04:48 AM
by Stowaway2k
Queen Elizabeth - Hamilton

Started by CAPBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 13
Views: 7830
Last post Nov 22, 2011, 01:00 AM
by Andy F