Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach  (Read 78466 times)

Offline Jem

Re: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #60 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:05 AM »
Good idea Ken. I just sent her an email. :)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #61 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:12 AM »
Good idea Ken. I just sent her an email.
She is a he :) :)

By what l saw of the old Dame she is completely closed in, However she does still float and only recently they had painted the hull and shifted the ballast to make her lean over. Some of the onboard staff found it unsettling and were sea sick.
 What l would say that l found most unusual is that the vibration from the air conditioning units does give the throbbing sensation underfoot and l actually was waiting for us to sail away. And thats from someone who is completely sane and sorted :-X
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #62 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:46 AM »
And thats from someone who is completely sane and sorted :-X
I just choked on my morning coffee!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Jem

« Reply #63 on: Nov 27, 2009, 11:36 AM »
She is a he :) :)

By what l saw of the old Dame she is completely closed in, However she does still float and only recently they had painted the hull and shifted the ballast to make her lean over. Some of the onboard staff found it unsettling and were sea sick.
 What l would say that l found most unusual is that the vibration from the air conditioning units does give the throbbing sensation underfoot and l actually was waiting for us to sail away. And thats from someone who is completely sane and sorted :-X
Oh dear :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[Redder than a cherry tomato!! Sorry about that.
Many thanks for the information. It's a shame they didn't keep all her engines.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #64 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:50 PM »
And some photos of the breakwater...

From the Bridge wing

** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img269/8867/hotelqueenmary516.jpg[/img]

You know when you see this your on a proper ship

Last seen G stairway QE2........

The Old Queen in her Glory

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #65 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Great photos Myles.  Are there any other ships in service where you can see the curvature of the decks?  I suppose that the current method of building them in blocks has eliminated this.

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #66 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:46 PM »
Hello Myles
What a superb set of pictures.
It's easy now to see why you are so happy after your visit to the Grand Old Lady  :)
Think I could be falling in love all over again, too!
Specially with the Liverpool life-belt ;)
Rosie.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2010, 08:42 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #67 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Myles,
Super pictures. Fab time it seems?!  ;D

Open questions for Myles and anyone else who can answer:

Can I ask how you what other guests were like?
eg. Did they see it just as a 'novelty' type hotel or an example of faded glamour / a piece of maritime history?

Is the Hotel side affected by other visitors taking part in some of the other activities? (am thinking Ghost Tours etc specifically)

How much time would you recommend staying there? (I mean, is it worth thinking of as a holiday destination or just a stop over for a few days?)

Is it a case of dressing in your finery for dinner and shimmying round on deck? (Or am I just wishful thinking and dreaming of glam evenings at sea....  :'()

PS Can half answer the last question there for myself!  :-[
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #68 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Some guests do go expecting a modern hotel and cant quite get to grips with the ship thing, the reviews on trip advisor confirm that, However if you step on the gangway and embark accept her for what she is, a classic ocean liner.

Queen Mary will slowly wrap her arms around you and gently hug you, where ever you look and walk she has things to remind you of her history and that she is  a ship. She has been lovingly cared for over the years and still has work in progress.
 Now as for staying onboard imagine you check in at 4pm checkout time is Noon by the time you have read the safety instructions in your cabin, gone on deck and tried to explore some of the ship, you really must do one of the evening tours, they show you the hallowed swimming pool which l gather is not offered on the day tours and that is  a sight!!! then you might go for a bite to eat evening walk round the decks, and drinks in the observation bar and before you know it it time to retire to one of the wonderful cabins (or suites ;))

The original sink may be cracked, But ask yourself who all washed their face in that sink years ago, the original woodwork might not seem modern, and thankfully its not, give it a touch, Real wood !! the bakelight air vents, No on or off switch here, you just turn them open / closed, they may squeak but thats history squeaking, the push handle on the toilet, Look at it, you ever seen one like that before, the 4 taps, sea and fresh water cold and hot, where on earth (or at sea) will you ever see them ? look around the cabin and open every door, open every drawer, and do it again, thats workmanship, the vanity mirror l even saw my bald spot :-X, open the porthole, yes they do open, and no balcony!! Even better, why would you want to remain cut off  from the rest of the ship, you may have an original painting on the wall, look at it study it, that was new all those years ago, and when you do retire, you will have the bests nights sleep and if you should waken at some ungodly hour, dont move !!! just for a second, and its really only a second  your actually believe your at sea on the Queen Mary the vibration from the aircon is there, open the cabin door and look down the corridor, theres a hush all over the ship.
 Fill up the coffee machine and make a coffee, that  & the TV and fridge are the only modern giveaways, sadly there is no tea, the coffee is l gather good paint stripper, but then lm not a coffee drinker and they have that milk in those small cartons that are impossible to open, and when you do , you may wish you hadnt.. Go back to the comfy bed or do what l did and opened all the doors and drawers again (l am so easily amused, or just sad!!) and when you awaken properly have a bath, it may not be original but its as big as a pool, second thoughts have the shower its more eco friendly and all that.
 Breakfast in the Promenade Cafe, its Lido Green !!!! that was a shock and one l wasnt prepared for, the charming lady at the desk will seat you wherever you want and present you with a menu, printed with some funny numbers besides, l was in auto cruse mode and ordered the coffee and juice, some pastries, the hash browns, bacon sausages and eggs (over hard!!) and threw caution to the wind and had the fluffy pancakes with strawberries and had what for me was a QE2 breakfast, and as l came out of my trance l realised that l wasnt on QE2 but the Queen Mary and as such breakfast had to be paid for, it was room charged so save the shock of how much ( but really the price wasnt that bad anyway)
Picked up the Ocean Times daily newspaper for Queen Mary Passengers (not guests!) my guide for today, it changes slightly every day. Explored the promenade shops, lots of bargains and much cheapness and really by now checking out time was fast nearing! Thankfully l was booked in for 2 nights and l could do all this again !!!
 As a passenger staying onboard you have the free self guided tour which l was planned for the last morning, early start !! Was invited to join on of the other tours by Gregory one of the guides and a small token of thanks showed off my suite to the people on the tour, only about 10 folks but they enjoyed the chance of seeing something extra. In fact l was so over the moon with my suite, l could have showed the whole ship my sleeping accomodation...
  Really for me even two nights want enough, next time l would stay 3 or 4 nights and if you want to explore Long Beach then even longer. 
Queen Mary for me was always a thing l wanted to see but QE2 always came first for 22 years so at last given the chance to see Queen Mary l decided to start off with the Sunday brunch, probably the best brunch l had in my time in California and that included Vegas. Queen Mary had been full on the Fri and Sat even Sunday was nearly full. Weekend does make it more expensive and weekdays are cheaper and being single l went for the room only on the best available rate, next time l would call them direct
    It was also nice to see some behind the scenes bits of Queen Mary and also some of the other cabins such as the Disney Cabin which was rennovated when they owned the Ship and the Eisenhower suite was stunning
  The morning of disembarkation was strange, l really felt as though l had been on a cruise and the account under the door only added to that feeling. The crew onboard were great and l think enjoyed the chatterings of that QE2 guy, l certainly enjoyed chatting to them. And disembarkation bought me back to earth with a bang
 Now as for the fact was Queen Mary what l expected, she was all l expected and much more, to step onboard for me was a dream and l entered into the spirit of shipboard life.
 The passengers, during the day time were mostly day trippers (how can you be expected to see her in one day !) there were two large conferences onboard on the Monday which explained the Sunday night occupancy . A few British folks were staying over, Yes of course one or two didnt quite get the ship thing, but l do think in the main most did enjoy the Queen Mary.
 I know for a fact l loved my 2 nights onboard, and fell totally in love with the old girl, she  left me with the most wonderful memories. and l long to return to revist her as soon as possible.
 To sum her up if you like the old world style of a bygone era yes you will love her If on the other hand you prefer new world new build luxury hotels,  you may not quite get what she offers.
 But think on this, she has been in Long Beach now for longer that she was at sea, and that can only be a good thing. ;D               

Offline Jem

« Reply #69 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Thanks for that Myles. I really enjoyed reading it. It really must have been like going through a time warp.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #70 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:28 PM »
So glad you enjoyed it all Myles!  I look forward to my next visit, and my next beer in the wonderful observation bar!

One question - don't you think the entire ship would be better facing the other way, i.e. out to sea?  I remember thinking that.  It seemed odd to see a city out of her bridge windows.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #71 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:55 PM »

Ocean Times. The daily newspaper for Queen Mary passengers

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #72 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:00 PM »
One question - don't you think the entire ship would be better facing the other way, i.e. out to sea?  I remember thinking that.  It seemed odd to see a city out of her bridge windows.

I must admit l prefer to see her the way she is for the fact that you can see her bow on from onshore, where as if she was berthed the other way such a view would be probably hard to see. But as you say from the bridge it does seem odd seeing the city in front of you

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #73 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:21 PM »
If we compare with QE2 in New York, I can only ever remember pictures of her bow facing into the city...

... such as this, last year on our Autumn Colours cruise :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2865880459/

But of course... I know... if one wants to have the idea that she is about to sail away, it would be great to look out to the sea...

Myles, thank you for your wonderful reporting! I cannot wait to try her out now  :D !

You may wonder at this question... I always thought that QE2 had this wonderful smell... what did Queen Mary smell like? Did she still have a shippy fragrance?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #74 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Myles, thank you for your wonderful reporting! I cannot wait to try her out now   !

Well as the poster says......  :D

Scott

« Reply #75 on: Dec 08, 2009, 02:14 AM »
CunardQueen - An excellent review. There's something so familiar, like an old friend. An irreplaceable treasure. Thanks for your write up!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #76 on: Dec 08, 2009, 12:48 PM »
Scott,Thanks for your kind words, l must admit l really wasnt sure what to expect onboard Queen Mary, I did wonder if in my mind l had things hyped up for the past upteen years, and trip advisor did not make for good reading, However when you do see her sitting at the berth there is something magical about seeing a proper ship, you do realise that something very special is about to happen. And l cant wait for my return visit.

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #77 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Excellent review Myles - she is indeed most special and I look forward to visiting her again - I will stay on board next time instead of just visiting for the day.
Gill

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #78 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Looking at the Google Earth image of 2007, she appears totally enclosed. Yet I'm sure I have seen the break water open at one end in another image.....confused

Cheers.

And this in more detail.. (thanks to stowaway2k) ;D forget the main pic showing, its right after you click play

Queen Mary and Rolls Royce, Pride of Britain, envy of the world

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #79 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:54 AM »
'Queen Mary is getting a long-overdue makeover
The company that leases the cruise ship turned floating hotel from the city of Long Beach is investing $5 million to upgrade rooms and restaurants....'
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-queen-mary3-2010mar03,0,5483185.story

So many words all meaning something different - Upgrade, renovate, refurbish, preserve, distressed, reproduction, shabby chic etc etc
As for 'Make-over' - what on earth does this really mean?!!
Hasn't 'Restore' got to be the best?!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2151
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Queen Victoria 22 May 2015 Three Queens in Liverpool

Started by Cunarder ManBoard Past Events

Replies: 15
Views: 2523
Last post May 24, 2015, 12:39 AM
by Twynkle
Happy 10th Anniversary Queen Victoria

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 3
Views: 445
Last post Dec 11, 2017, 11:04 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by Derek BoydBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 62
Views: 5601
Last post Dec 01, 2017, 07:19 PM
by Trevor Casey
MY Life-Long Affair with QE2 (and Cunard)

Started by StuMBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 9
Views: 1844
Last post Jun 18, 2012, 12:46 AM
by StuM