Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach  (Read 78461 times)

Offline highlander0108

Re: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #40 on: Oct 13, 2009, 04:28 AM »
I believe Myles (cunardqueen) is either making his trek out to see the Mary now or may even be onboard.  He'll be able to confirm if he saw any ghosts or not!   :P  Hopefully he will be reporting that the conservation efforts are underway now. 

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline luzparis

« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:58 PM »
this is my pictures of Queen Mary interiors and outdoors i took this pictures un august 2008 I hope they decide to restore her she need a big works!! look the detail on lifeboats !! or the paint on the structure!! etc..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/40923761@N05/sets/72157622391791139/
Pat
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2009, 10:01 PM by luzparis »

Offline Jem

« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2009, 11:01 PM »
Fantastic photo's Pat!

Can anyone tell me is Queen Mary actually still afloat and if so does she need an annual hull inspection? I went on her once in 1971 but I was only 11 and cannot remember. Our family lived 5 years in the States. I'll have to look out my old passport as in the photo I've got my Queen Mary T Shirt on.

Cheers.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2009, 11:16 PM »
Yes she's still afloat, she's always been afloat!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2009, 09:27 PM »
One of the best things about Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and most of all Queen Elizabeth 2,
was that none of them seemed to 'pretend' - or try to be a re-creation of a previous era!
They were true, utterly genuine in every respect - each a fine example of their time.  :)

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2009, 09:05 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #45 on: Oct 25, 2009, 02:27 AM »
One of the best things about Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and most of all Queen Elizabeth 2,
was that none of them seemed to 'pretend' - or try to be a re-creation of a previous era!
They were true, utterly genuine in every respect - each a fine example of the age.  :)

Here here!

Offline Jem

« Reply #46 on: Oct 25, 2009, 04:22 AM »
Yes she's still afloat, she's always been afloat!
Rob, it might have seemed a daft question but things can be deceptive! Look at this image of the SS Great Britain, she appears afloat but she isn't. I assume the breakwater around QM is to protect her from waves and tides? Would still like to know if she requires hull inspections for her safety certificates?

Offline luzparis

« Reply #47 on: Oct 25, 2009, 12:03 PM »
for me it's a better for ship conservation !! the great britain it's the good exemple  for QM or in the future QE2 or other?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #48 on: Oct 25, 2009, 01:54 PM »

They were true, utterly genuine in every respect - each a fine example of their time.  :)

I think you have hit the nail on the head there with that comment.  I do think the the new QE(3) will NOT be utterly genuine in any respect, pretending to be something like the original Lizzy with the art deco inspired interiors.  QE2 must have been quite a shock to the Cunard loyalists at the time the the modern interiors.  I do not think we're going to get any such ground breaking design with the new ship, which is a shame.

Ken

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2009, 02:05 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #49 on: Oct 26, 2009, 01:27 AM »
I assume the breakwater around QM is to protect her from waves and tides? Would still like to know if she requires hull inspections for her safety certificates?

I was onboard her only last week, and was surprised to hear that a few weeks earlier she had been painted round the waterline and in doing so they shifted the ballst to make her lean over. Seemingly some of the staff couldnt cope with the angle and were sea sick.
 I did wonder just how deep is the water she sits in?

These windows on the starboard side were opened for the first time in some 20 years on one of the mornings
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Jem

« Reply #50 on: Oct 26, 2009, 04:11 AM »
Great photo's cunardqueen. You can really see her size. I'm still trying to find out if she is ever dry docks and how is the very bottom of her hull painted?
In my hunt found  this clip of her entering Southampton Dry Dock. Sorry if it been posted before.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2009, 10:55 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #51 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Great photo's cunardqueen. You can really see her size. I'm still trying to find out if she is ever dry docks and how is the very bottom of her hull painted?
Cheers.

Yes indeed, great photos Myles, keep them coming!

Jem - she's not been drydocked since her arrival Long Beach.  To do so would now be a problem, since Long Beach's dry dock was closed years ago, and to tow her to a dry dock would pose quite a problem for them, since much of her structural integrity and balance was lost in the conversion.  Very sad.  I hope that if/when QE2 is "converted", that she at least remains safely towable...

Also - the excellent wikipedia article on her, says the red waterline was raised up the hull after conversion, because she sits so much higher without her machiner inside - despite extra ballast.

The QueenMary group on yahoo can answer any/all questions you may have - you can search all their past posts including many on dry docking etc!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/queenmary/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Jem

« Reply #52 on: Oct 26, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Rob,
Many thanks for that information. The reason I keep going on about dry docking is because in Bristol there is a floating restaurant, and every 5 years she has to be towed across the Bristol Channel to be dry docked in Swansea/Cardiff to have her hull inspected. If she isn't dry docked she loses her license to trade.

Cheers.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #53 on: Oct 26, 2009, 09:36 PM »
Can't remember where I saw it, but QM is periodically surveyed by divers who check out her underwater hull plating and all of the various hull penetrations which were blanked off back in '67-'68 during her initial conversion.  The report I saw struck me at the time as being relatively favorable even down to the readings on her remaining plate thickness.  One other point with respect to the obstacles to dry docking--after 40 years I'm sure her berth is virtually silted in.  Last year they hauled the Intrepid out of her berth on the Hudson to NJ for dry docking and maintenance.  Admittedly she still has her screws which were a major source of problems, but it took the Army Corps of Engineers nearly a month to excavate under her and dislodge her from her berth--ultimately they did have to pull her screws to get her free.  Admittedly QM only has one screw, but that cofferdam around her wouldn't make it any picnic.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #54 on: Oct 26, 2009, 09:41 PM »
I wonder if the breakwater completely encases the ship.  It looks like it does from aerial photos.  If so, there should be little silt buildup with in the enclosed area.  She does need a new hull paint job from the looks of her in those pictures, but despite this, she is magnificant to look at and marvel that she still exists.  I have a shot of QE2 at night in Cobh and I recall when taking it, that the whole scene reminded me of the original Queens.

Ken
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2009, 10:30 PM by highlander0108 »

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #55 on: Oct 26, 2009, 10:02 PM »
The cofferdam is really an "L" shaped structure encasing her stern and starboard side--it's open at the bow.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #56 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:23 PM »
New Managers for RMS Queen Mary
http://networkedblogs.com/p14920712
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Jem

« Reply #57 on: Nov 15, 2009, 12:07 AM »
The cofferdam is really an "L" shaped structure encasing her stern and starboard side--it's open at the bow.
Looking at the Google Earth image of 2007, she appears totally enclosed. Yet I'm sure I have seen the break water open at one end in another image.....confused ???

Cheers.

Offline Jem

« Reply #58 on: Nov 15, 2009, 06:35 AM »
Here is the image.....

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #59 on: Nov 27, 2009, 02:51 AM »
Well that is pretty compelling evidence that she's completely enclosed.  I suppose that the breakwater would have to be removed and then the area dredged if she were to ever make it to a nearby drydock for hull repairs.  At least the breakwater will ensure that the area is not silted in.  Perhaps Cunardqueen can shed some light on this subject having recently visited the great ship.

Ken

Happy 10th Anniversary Queen Victoria

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 3
Views: 445
Last post Dec 11, 2017, 11:04 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by Derek BoydBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 62
Views: 5601
Last post Dec 01, 2017, 07:19 PM
by Trevor Casey
Queen Victoria 22 May 2015 Three Queens in Liverpool

Started by Cunarder ManBoard Past Events

Replies: 15
Views: 2523
Last post May 24, 2015, 12:39 AM
by Twynkle
1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2151
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Queen Victoria - Iberian Serenade 11/11/12

Started by CAPBoard Past Events

Replies: 2
Views: 1302
Last post Oct 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
by LegendOfTheSeas