Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach  (Read 107004 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #225 on: Dec 31, 2021, 12:18 PM »
If I could go back in time to her arrival in Long Beach...

No major structural alterations at all.  If you need a huge conference hall, build it nearby...

All Art Deco artefacts and furniture have to be treasured, numbered, catalogued and kept with the ship.  She is an Art Deco icon to the world and needs to be celebrated and advertised as such.  This draws in people who aren't particularly interested in the ship, but will be drawn to her incredible interiors.   A couple of weeks ago I found myself watching Primal Fear (1996) and realised after a while that I was watching her first class restaurant.  It wasn't even meant to be set on board a ship.  Using her as a film set should be an absolute no-brainer, given her location.

Was the breakwater actually needed?  It made the ship look too "dead" and you lost the illusion that she could sail away.  That illusion is important.  SS Rotterdam hangs on to that illusion incredibly well.  She can and will never sail again, but somehow you still find yourself thinking... maybe one day...

I see they are "demolishing" the lifeboats.  Now I realise that only 2 of them were apparently original to her, but many others were similar at least, from other Cunard ships and its a shame they were just left to rot as they're irreplaceable.  But what should be done now is exact lightweight replicas should be made in fibreglass.  They need to have propellors, rudders etc, but none of it needs to work, it just needs to look right.  For Queen Mary, even more than for QE2, the long row of lifeboats (coming so soon after Titanic...) is absolutely essential to her profile.  Essential, can't stress this enough.

And the gangway arrangement is appalling. It obscures all the best shoreside views of the ship, and totally trashes the illusion that she could sail.  Again SS Rotterdam is the reference here.

And a complete ban on any events hosted on or next to the ship, that damage her iconic, luxurious, stylish image.  No halloween shows.  No nonsense.  Look to any luxury hotel in the world, to see the sort of thing they *won't* host.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2021, 12:22 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #226 on: Mar 09, 2022, 04:25 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head in the sense that Queen Mary’s initial conversation was incredibly confused; what was she to be exactly? Many people assume a hotel was her primary focus, but upon reviewing the marketing material of the period, and the realities of her conversion; it seems that the work undertaken was less an attempt to preserve her perfectly as a museum-hotel, and was instead to create a general purpose, modern sea-maritime convention, museum and conference space, inside the skin of a classic ocean liner.

In this respect, they failed spectacularly. The Sealife Museum onboard sunk faster than the Lusitania, the conference spaces in her hull generally reminded as empty as one of Leviathan’s typical voyages, whilst the gutted and mauled engineering spaces became one of the most popular spots on the ship!

It boggles the mind how utterly barbaric and confused her conversion was. However, I do think it served as a good cautionary tale. Rotterdam, from what I’ve seen and heard, is the perfect example of a museum ship; avoiding the surgical hack job that befell QM. QE2, from personal experience, is how to do events right. She’s a premium hotel and the events she puts on are incredible, making the engine room double as a preserved museum space and as a nightclub/bar at times was ingenious! Even though I’m approaching my thirties (which is oddly bloody terrifying!) and am getting a little old for that life, the atmosphere was unlike anything I’d ever experienced. 
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2022, 04:26 PM by Oceanic »
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Rod

« Reply #227 on: Mar 09, 2022, 06:01 PM »
I posted, in what I thought was the right thread, an article, or link to, about Mary's lifeboats being up for sale.
Included the bid forms etc.
I will see if some one, or me can find it.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #228 on: Mar 09, 2022, 07:19 PM »
I posted, in what I thought was the right thread, an article, or link to, about Mary's lifeboats being up for sale.
Included the bid forms etc.
I will see if some one, or me can find it.

Here is your post here Rod : https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=9765.msg118139#msg118139
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #229 on: Jan 28, 2024, 05:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQl18fzowE

Just found this report on the Queen Mary, very encouraging.
Wish I could afford to live in California, would love to get a job onboard. :D

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #230 on: Jan 29, 2024, 02:26 AM »
Just found this report on the Queen Mary, very encouraging. 

What a glorious find, it hopefully goes some way to dispel the scaremongering of her sinking and the clap trap that has been doing the rounds since Queen Mary was closed.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Visit of The Queen 2 June 2008

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 8
Views: 7168
Last post Sep 09, 2022, 08:00 AM
by QE2forever
Queen Anne Suite

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 9
Views: 1529
Last post May 01, 2020, 12:49 AM
by Thomas Hypher
1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2787
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Queen Victoria temporarily taken out of service

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 15
Views: 5057
Last post Oct 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
by CAP
Queen Elizabeth's crew celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 4
Views: 2064
Last post Apr 22, 2016, 04:48 AM
by Stowaway2k