Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach  (Read 78471 times)

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 01:36 AM »

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Has QE2 ever met RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach?

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 03:59 PM »
The QE2's been to Long Beach - it's where she moored for Los Angeles. I think you could just something from the QE2 that was the Mary and vice versa. I think that's as close as they ever got though.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 05:28 PM »
The distance from where QE2 berthed in LA, San Pedro, to where QM is berthed, Long Beach, is 5 miles (8 km) as the crow flies.  I can't say for sure but I don't think QE2's ever been over there; however, the former Spruce Goose hangar became the Carnival Cruise Terminal  in 2003 where Carnival ships literally dock 100 m off QM's stern.  I find it hard to believe that Carnival never brought QE2 to that dock but then again, they never showed any real propensity for nostalgia as aptly demonstrated by the sale of QE2.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #24 on: Aug 29, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I haven't seen the "Mary" since the current management assumed control, but did stay on board the night before my wife and I boarded QM2 in 2006.  Honestly, it was fascinating, but in the end depressing.  The guest rooms were "early Holiday Inn" (cheap carpet, bare fluorescent wall fixtures, cheap portable TV on a floor stand, etc), and many of the public rooms looked tired and "beaten up".  Damage to veneers was everywhere, and much furniture was inappropriate.  Let's hope she is faring  better these days, but current interest by real estate developers is really based on the perceived value of the shoreside acreage, and not the ship herself.

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2009, 10:36 PM »
There is a YouTube video of the two Marys "meeting" in Long Beach - it's one of my favorites!!

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009, 05:15 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Kathy

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #26 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:13 AM »
Thanks for fixing the video, Isabelle!!  Isn't it cute?!
Kathy

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #27 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Thank you, Kathy!

That video does tug at your heartstrings... very poignant, I find...

Particularly when you know that the younger Mary has walked off with one of the whistles of her older namesake! But it is lovely to think that the same whistle is still out on the high seas even now!

I wonder whether the older Mary's whistle is sounding a lot thinner as a result?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:49 AM »
I wonder whether the older Mary's whistle is sounding a lot thinner as a result?

Original Mary still has her full compliment of whistles - they made her an exact replica and fitted it in place of the one donated to QM2.

None of the whistles on either ship, however, will sound right as I don't think any of them are driven by steam any more :(
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

richc1977

« Reply #29 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:54 PM »
You can hear the foward funnel whistle sounded on my website here

http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/queenmary/

There is a direct link on the front page.  Rob, you're right - they are driven by compressed air.  But then, I guess they must be on the QM2??

Edited to say.......

The videos I took were from either bridge wing, but from a distance the sound is quite different, not sure why.......
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009, 07:37 PM by Richard Coltman »

Scott

« Reply #30 on: Sep 10, 2009, 06:43 PM »
Richard - Your web sites are great!

richc1977

« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2009, 11:38 PM »
Thanks Scott.  Sometimes I think I should get out more :o)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #32 on: Sep 24, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Im booked on the Queen Mary for two nights in October,a Sunday and Monday and really want to find out what things l must see and do,or anything l shouldnt do?
 Any areas off limits to overnighting guests, that are worth poking my nose into
 What advice/tips would you give to  a Queen Mary virgin.. ;)
 Cheers
 Myles
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

richc1977

« Reply #33 on: Sep 24, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Just try going where you want, I did and got some good photos.  If you seem confident no one stops you.  I only got stopped by a burly security guard once but I just pleaded ignorance.

Offline luzparis

« Reply #34 on: Oct 09, 2009, 09:29 PM »
for you want to see my Queen Mary pictures? https://www.flickr.com/photos/40923761@N05/sets/72157622391791139/

i was sad when I visit this ship the damage of this ship it's amazing !!  :'(
and the situation in middle of nowhere!! ok it's in front of the city of long beach  but the area wher the ship is it's not very glamourous  lol

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #35 on: Oct 10, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Great photos Pat.

I think they've been doing work on her since your visit - I think things MAY be looking up for her finally.

Visiting her is definitely a mixture of emotions - but my overwhelming emotion was simply awe and amazement that she existed in any form at all any more - she's now over 70 years old.  It is a shame she's not been better preservered, but one can still use one's imagination to truly go back on board... 

Seeing her at dusk, all lit up, gave me shudders down my spine.  With just a bit of screwing up of your eyes, you could imagine she was getting read to sail...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline luzparis

« Reply #36 on: Oct 10, 2009, 12:13 PM »
sure when i visit the ship i was full of emotions  my last visit was last years and so many degradation !! on board !! i hope the owners make something !!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #37 on: Oct 12, 2009, 06:10 PM »
I find it hard to put into words how much this appalls me

http://www.presstelegram.com/search/ci_13535949

Offline luzparis

« Reply #38 on: Oct 12, 2009, 09:50 PM »
oh my god the story of the queen mary ghost? i' don't undesrtand the concept
during my visit on board i have the opportunity to visit the ship free, a good knowledge of this ship you a have the opportunity to visit some space close for the public or to visit free the ghost part  ,and the first class pool was very strange because the pool is use only for this tourist attraction and the "decor" he's durty and  abandonned it's sad !!
in the futur i put some pictures of this pool in my flickr

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #39 on: Oct 13, 2009, 03:20 AM »
I find it hard to put into words how much this appalls me

There is a show here in the US called "Ghost Hunters" that did a show on the Queen Mary - what cheapened the image even further was that it was found that the people who worked on the QM tampered with some of the equipment the Ghost Hunters people set up to make it look like a ghost was there (I assume to increase business).  The show is on the SyFy channel in the US - you may be able to find video of the tampered with video on YouTube.
Kathy

1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2151
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Happy 10th Anniversary Queen Victoria

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 3
Views: 445
Last post Dec 11, 2017, 11:04 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Queen Victoria 22 May 2015 Three Queens in Liverpool

Started by Cunarder ManBoard Past Events

Replies: 15
Views: 2523
Last post May 24, 2015, 12:39 AM
by Twynkle
Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by Derek BoydBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 62
Views: 5602
Last post Dec 01, 2017, 07:19 PM
by Trevor Casey
Queen Elizabeth

Started by WaverleyBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 95
Views: 36162
Last post Nov 13, 2020, 07:26 AM
by Olivia