Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach  (Read 78458 times)

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #140 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:50 AM »
The Scottish Festival is one of the things that they get right, regarding use of the Queen Mary.
Another is the annual Los Angeles Art Deco Society Ball.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #141 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:18 PM »
   The Scottish Festival is one of the things that they get right, regarding use of the Queen Mary.
Another is the annual Los Angeles Art Deco Society Ball.

http://ink-n-iron.com/     
I do wonder if the above event  The Ink n Iron festival is the one that brings in massive revenue for the bars over the weekend ?
But is this best suited for QM.... ???
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline No 736

« Reply #142 on: Feb 23, 2012, 11:10 PM »
No >:( and l wouldnt !!! I think it spoils the view of Queen Mary, and in my view it should be sunk....

Myles, I agree with you entirely, the sub has no place there and should go.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #143 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:04 AM »
  http://ink-n-iron.com/     
I do wonder if the above event  The Ink n Iron festival is the one that brings in massive revenue for the bars over the weekend ?
But is this best suited for QM.... ???

Yes.

No.

In past years, there have been reports of rowdy behavior such as urinating in the corridors, and graffiti scratched into the paneling.
Although this annual event does bring in revenue, it casts a bad light on the Queen Mary and it likely prevents others from enjoying the Queen Mary.

rmeneses

« Reply #144 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:05 AM »
I appreciate the effort to paint the boot topping, but that red seems a bit dark, and almost burgundy (unless it's the way the photo came out).  Have a look:

http://www.iann.net/movies/poseidon_adventure/images/queenmary_longbeach.jpg

http://v4.cache4.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/8320512.jpg?redirect_counter=1

It just pains me to see someone trying to do a good thing but getting it wrong.

Just my opinion...

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #145 on: Nov 18, 2012, 03:22 PM »
What is happening to Queen Mary in Long Beach is an absolute joke! The recent pictures posted on facebook is very worrying. Long Beach doesn't deserve her, give her to someone who genuinely appreciates her. 

Seems ok to ride bikes onboard now.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2012, 03:25 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #146 on: Nov 18, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Step aboard,have a look round, sleep in a stateroom, shes still in pretty good shape. Then decide if Long Beach are doing such a crap job. Ok she has a lot of unused space that is used as storage etc, But do they really need to bring it back into public working? If we are expecting her to be returned to her original state, then we do need to wake up and small the coffee it all costs money and that money must come from somewhere.
 In an ideal world this would be great but its not an ideal world we live in.
I defy anyone who seeing QM at Long Beach from a distance not to be overawed, then to actually step onboard it is an amazing experience.

Ok perhaps some of the things are not ideal the ink festival etc but in terms of income, it is exactly that income, it keeps her alive.
A lot of what is shown is behind the scenes, and we have no right to be there.
Dear old QE2, much as though we love her, if we saw behind the scenes on her we might be shocked. I know l was!
Queen Mary has had various owners over the years and all have tried to impress or put their own stamp on her, have they succeeded ? the experts(?) might say No but ask the paying guests it is ultimately them who are putting bums on seats and in effect keeping the girl alive.
I look forward to my visits to Long Beach only to see the Queen Mary. Im not an expert in what is right and wrong onboard but l do know l love her to bits, she has a style and and atmosphere all her own . 

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #147 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Step aboard,have a look round, sleep in a stateroom, shes still in pretty good shape.
This is mostly true, for a ship of her age, the ol'gal is allright.  Plenty of issues, but the bad stuff is far outweighed by the good. 

Ok she has a lot of unused space that is used as storage etc, But do they really need to bring it back into public working?

No, but what they need to stop doing is the continuing loss of what IS original, either through neglect for outright ignorance. 

If we are expecting her to be returned to her original state,

I'm not so sure anyone truly believe that this is possible.  But, there is much that could be done to put the breaks on the loss of what still remains from her service life.

I defy anyone who seeing QM at Long Beach from a distance not to be overawed, then to actually step onboard it is an amazing experience.

Yes.   Yes!
A lot of what is shown is behind the scenes, and we have no right to be there.
This is true, but it does not mean that we don't have the right to awareness.   

Queen Mary has had various owners over the years and all have tried to impress or put their own stamp on her, have they succeeded ?
Exactly two owners,  the Cunard Line and the City of Long Beach.   It's the leaseholders, the management companies, that have been "putting their own stamp on her", with the helpful "hear no evil, see no evil" of her single post-Cunard owner.

the experts(?) might say No but ask the paying guests it is ultimately them who are putting bums on seats and in effect keeping the girl alive.
The same argument can be used to say that it's the lack of bums on seats that is keeping the girl in peril.  Her full potential in Long Beach has never been realized, for a variety of reasons, but ultimately the buck stops with the City of Long Beach, as they own her and she is their responsibility.

I look forward to my visits to Long Beach only to see the Queen Mary. Im not an expert in what is right and wrong onboard but l do know l love her to bits, she has a style and and atmosphere all her own . 

Indeed, well said.   :)
Long Live the Queen
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012, 07:48 AM by Stowaway2k »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #148 on: Mar 23, 2013, 12:32 PM »
An interesting  Cunard blog by Everette Hoard and I am the Honorary Commodore of the Queen Mary.   The occasion was the Queen Elizabeth cruise ship visit to Queen Mary at Long beach.  But the blog focusses on the Queen Mary and her sister ship the original Queen Elizabeth.

http://wearecunard.com/2013/03/a-royal-rendezvous-queen-elizabeth-meets-queen-mary-at-long-beach/
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2014, 01:03 AM »
The Queen Mary is my favorite liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2014, 12:30 PM »
I much preferred the look of the Queen Elizabeth to the Mary with what was then a more contemporary design such as no Well Deck and uncluttered decks. There can be no doubt, however, that Queen Mary was the more popular of the two ships.

It was a tragedy that so much of Queen Mary's internal spaces was ripped out to make way for the abortive Maritime Museum. So much was lost and so little original to her sailing days was left, except for some of the showcase public rooms and the Cabin Class (1st Class) Staterooms. This also greatly affected the hull integrity, which is one of the reasons why her Cabin Class swimming pool is not filled with water and used by the Hotel guests.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:34 PM by Graham Taylor »
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I much preferred the look of the Queen Elizabeth to the Mary with what was then a more contemporary design such as no Well Deck and uncluttered decks. There can be no doubt, however, that Queen Mary was the more popular of the two ships.

I've always prefered Queen Elizabeth aswell. The two funnels made her look better in my eyes too.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2014, 12:57 PM »
It was a tragedy that so much of Queen Mary's internal spaces was ripped out to make way for the abortive Maritime Museum. So much was lost and so little original to her sailing days was left, except for some of the showcase public rooms and the Cabin Class (1st Class) Staterooms. This also greatly affected the hull integrity, which is one of the reasons why her Cabin Class swimming pool is not filled with water and used by the Hotel guests.

Thanks for that info.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2014, 09:47 PM »
If you do the Evening tour, there is usually a chance to see the Swimming pool, its a bit creepy l thought, But none the less still a nice bit to be able to see.

As for the repainting of the hull, there was words of this away back in December last year, glad to see its been done.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2014, 11:00 PM »
FWIW, I totally agree with Graham in preferring QE to QM.  I've traveled in QE, and have vivid memories of crawling all through her when she was alive, while I've only known QM in her later years.  Still, although QM is widely known as such a happy and popular ship, QE actually was the better earner during the heyday years.  True, she had slightly more space for revenue passengers, but she was the more profitable of the two by a slight margin.   Also, the roughly 10 years between QM's design and QE's really shows in the cleaner lines of the ship and the relatively brighter and more modern interiors.  I do wish we still had them both.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Ironically, I agree with the fact That the QE was more streamlined and better looking. I just prefer the Queen Mary for some reason. It is just special. It also doesn't help that what remains of QE is buried under Hong Kong's airport and that there aren't as many books on her. Sadly the QE is often overlooked.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2014, 08:01 PM »
FWIW, I totally agree with Graham in preferring QE to QM.  I've traveled in QE, and have vivid memories of crawling all through her when she was alive, while I've only known QM in her later years.  Still, although QM is widely known as such a happy and popular ship, QE actually was the better earner during the heyday years.  True, she had slightly more space for revenue passengers, but she was the more profitable of the two by a slight margin.   Also, the roughly 10 years between QM's design and QE's really shows in the cleaner lines of the ship and the relatively brighter and more modern interiors.  I do wish we still had them both.

It's interesting that the crew on the ships preferred the Queen Mary over the Queen Elizabeth because they knew it well due to being in service for three years before the war. The QE never had that chance when war intervened and the crew had to spend time learning a whole new ship.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:16 AM by Hank Hargrove »

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2014, 01:53 AM »
I haven't seen a link anywhere else directing to this site so I'll post it here. These guys are enthusiasts who published an alternative and much more coherent plan for Queen Mary recreating much that was lost post '67. A pity though that the site itself isn't laid out in as coherent a way as their plan, but it makes interesting reading. I believe this plan dates back to around 2000.

The Maritime Heritage section takes you to the Alternative Plan plus there is some interesting reading in the other sections. The renderings for the renovation and redesign are pretty basic computer generated drawings, but there again these guys are not from a top architect or interior design company.

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Offline Jenny Roberts

« Reply #158 on: Jul 12, 2014, 09:04 AM »
We first visited Long Beach in 2004 and spent around six hours on the Queen Mary. We didn't get chance to visit the ghost tour as it was full up being school holidays etc. We went again in 2012 and this time bought the tickets for the ghost tour. It was awful, cheap and tacky. The first class pool was disgusting, dirty and wires hanging everywhere. There were plenty of 'ghosts',  tricks with lights and water flooding into the ship in the boiler room where someone was supposed to have died. The interior décor of the whole ship is faded and peeling. I could see a great deterioration from our last visit. I even sent a complaining email but didn't get a reply. I cannot understand why the main salon, dining room and pool etc are not on the main tour. We did sneak down the lift into the dining room to see the famous map. It was in the process of being set out for a wedding but again was faded and a lot less grand than it should have been.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #159 on: Jul 17, 2014, 12:58 AM »
We first visited Long Beach in 2004 and spent around six hours on the Queen Mary. We didn't get chance to visit the ghost tour as it was full up being school holidays etc. We went again in 2012 and this time bought the tickets for the ghost tour. It was awful, cheap and tacky. The first class pool was disgusting, dirty and wires hanging everywhere. There were plenty of 'ghosts',  tricks with lights and water flooding into the ship in the boiler room where someone was supposed to have died. The interior décor of the whole ship is faded and peeling. I could see a great deterioration from our last visit. I even sent a complaining email but didn't get a reply. I cannot understand why the main salon, dining room and pool etc are not on the main tour. We did sneak down the lift into the dining room to see the famous map. It was in the process of being set out for a wedding but again was faded and a lot less grand than it should have been.

I went there in 2011. She looked great even with the things she has been through. However, maybe I'm too easy to please.

Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by Derek BoydBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 62
Views: 5601
Last post Dec 01, 2017, 07:19 PM
by Trevor Casey
Happy 10th Anniversary Queen Victoria

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 3
Views: 445
Last post Dec 11, 2017, 11:04 PM
by Thomas Hypher
1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2151
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Queen Victoria 22 May 2015 Three Queens in Liverpool

Started by Cunarder ManBoard Past Events

Replies: 15
Views: 2523
Last post May 24, 2015, 12:39 AM
by Twynkle
Queen Victoria - Iberian Serenade 11/11/12

Started by CAPBoard Past Events