Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach  (Read 78456 times)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Re: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #120 on: Nov 27, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Looks like Queen Mary has had her exterior repainted

She looks brand new!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #121 on: Nov 27, 2010, 11:40 PM »
Looks like Queen Mary has had her exterior repainted

She looks brand new!

:)she looks lovely... and, I couldn't help but wonder if this was the first time that person used camera...    :o
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 10:03 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #122 on: Jun 03, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Did you guys see this?  On we are Cunard, Peter Shanks shares his blog to celebrate QM's 75th.

http://wearecunard.com/2011/06/queen-marys-75th-anniversary/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #123 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Bit of a shame that Mr Shanks wasn't able to manage a visit to QE2 when he was in Dubai.... :'(
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #124 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Great how he harps on about the history etc and yet in the past few days hes done more damage to Cunard and the history by reflagging the ships.

It would be interesting to know which cabin or suite he visited? It looks as though he enjoyed his brunch visit, note the old style champagne glasses. And well done to Everette  ;D

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #125 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:45 AM »

Queen Mary arrived in Long Beach, California 44 years ago today.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #126 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:54 AM »
That's a good find...

Must have been a very nostalgic moment, and I am sure the crew leaving the ship at Long Beach felt as sad as those who left QE2 in Dubai... perhaps worse, as they had sailed trans-Atlantic without passengers if I remember well..

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #127 on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:35 PM »
It was actually a rather fully-sold cruise from Southampton to Long Beach done as a charter to Fugazy-the travel agency.  If I remember they only used two props to save fuel!  Apparently when they arrived the Cunard staff left with the breakfast dishes and pots still dirty and hopped a plane back to England.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #128 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:08 AM »
Don't forget is was also more than a transatlantic, but a circumnavigation of South America since she was too big to fit in the Panama Canal.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #129 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Rather lovely night time picture here :

QE2 Night by CTrevathan, on Flickr

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #130 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Amazing and absolutely fantastic picture.

( Pity it's been titled "QE2 Night"... )
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #131 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Rather lovely night time picture here :

Beautiful.  I remember standing at the marina on the left just gawping over at Queen Mary after spending the day on her, amazed that I had finally fulfilled my childhood dream of seeing her one day.  That was 14 years ago now... time to return I think.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #132 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:23 PM »
   That was 14 years ago now... time to return I think.   
Rob,
 It sure is !!! and it would be interesting for you to see what has changed onboard in that time..
I do think that you get a whole new picture if you stay the night onboard.
She does come into her own when the visitors have left and you have the ship to yourself
If by chance you awaken in the night, open the cabin door and look down the corridor...
The atmosphere is quite something else..   

rmeneses

« Reply #133 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:40 AM »
She doesn't look bad considering her age, yes she could use more tender loving care, but I'm just happy she's still around.  When we were married it was pretty neat because the chapel was the old smoking room, and our reception was in a room behind the forward wall of the first class dining room (the one with the mural and crystal QM & QE).  That room was added by adding a floor and ceiling to the number 2 funnel hatch (called the Windsor Salon), they did a good job of matching the room to the rest of the dining room, and the mural was done by one of my instructors at the Art Institute of Seattle.  We stayed the night as that was part of the wedding package, we even had a minister who was in a Navy Uniform (his own). 

The ship has peculiar smells, the dining rooms sometimes have that "food was here" smell, the remaining machinery spaces and gutted boiler rooms have a metallic/oily smell (hard to describe) but I have since smelled the similar smells aboard the Missouri, USS Bowfin, USS Intrepid, USS Midway...you get the picture.  Sadly the mooring equipment and steering gear skylight were removed (I think when Disney had the lease) because they had some kind of plan for the extra deck space (never realized).  My wife took her sister to the haunted tour and said the first class pool area was in a sad state of decay, (the Turkish bath area has been a shambles for a while now).  The "Corkoid" flooring in the "Main Hall/Shopping Center" was replaced, my wife and I have mixed feelings because part of the charm were these random dimples everywhere, and supposedly caused by the heels of the lady passenger's shoes and the tour guides would actually point them out!  The floor looks nice, but to me, it lost a bit of it's charm.

Don't miss the engine spaces, they are still a marvel to look at, the turbines, starting platform, shaft alley, the steering gear and of course, the last remaining propeller, that room freaked me out when I was a kid, it isn't the most inviting atmosphere, it's dark, the water is murky, the underwater part of the hull hasn't been painted in a long time, and the propeller and cone are pitted and tarnished (a fine example of how they would look polished is the polished cone in the adjacent corridor outside the prop box).  Hopefully your tour will include one of the gutted boiler rooms.  Fans of the ship will not be disappointed though, she still has much to offer, especially giving current and future generations a glimpse of the golden era of the "Superliner".

And the Tyfon whistle...she made the Queen Mary 2 sound anemic back in February of 2006!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #134 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:07 PM »
  Hi Myles, Just as a matter of interest--did you manage a tour through the Russian submarine when you were there? I have a DVD of this and it is amazing to see inside the sub. 

No >:( and l wouldnt !!! I think it spoils the view of Queen Mary, and in my view it should be sunk....
However now that its operated in the short term by the owners of Queen Mary l guess it wont be moving anytime soon  ::)
The only good thing is that it does now sell some Queen Mary souvenirs.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #135 on: Feb 22, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Bobso:  Admittedly this was 5 years ago, but the last time I saw QM her funnels had been fairly recently done, and the hull struck me as looking fairly good.  I have no idea of the schedule for painting her, but my impression was favorable.  What bothered me were the hotel rooms where the cheap carpet, tv stand installation and mini-fridge, and those awful "cool white" fluorescent strip fixtures in lieu of the more mellow original incandescents all gave the rooms the look of a budget motel and clashed with the period look.  I gather that at least the carpets and tv's have been re-done in the interium, so the rooms probably look better now.  Overall, though, while the general impression was good the interiors certainly showed the effects of time, and much of the paneling could have done with some tender loving care--lots of chairs and carts banged into walls and doorways!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #136 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Queen Mary was given a fresh make over, and in order to paint some of the hull the ballast tanks were filled and Queen Mary listed to one side so the exposed part of the hull could be painted, A friend who works onboard commented that seemingle some people felt sea sick with the unusual angle.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #137 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Yes, thankfully the utility lines servicing her are rubber/flexible.  That could have been awkward otherwise!  I gather they can get some or most of the red below the boot that way, but I suspect not all, and she hasn't been out of the water since 1968.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #138 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:16 PM »

** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img190/3460/usa2012part1625.jpg[/img]

Jan 2012

and this was taken Jan 2011

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #139 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:08 AM »
yowza, it's nice that they painted the bootstripe, but it just seems to highlight the drab and faded paint on the rest of the hull, like wearing a new pair of dress shoes with an old suit that you slept in last night.

Queen Victoria 22 May 2015 Three Queens in Liverpool

Started by Cunarder ManBoard Past Events

Replies: 15
Views: 2523
Last post May 24, 2015, 12:39 AM
by Twynkle
Happy 10th Anniversary Queen Victoria

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 3
Views: 445
Last post Dec 11, 2017, 11:04 PM
by Thomas Hypher
1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2151
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by Derek BoydBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 62
Views: 5601
Last post Dec 01, 2017, 07:19 PM
by Trevor Casey
QE2 Get Together (on board Queen Victoria World Cruise 2017).

Started by Michelle PenwardenBoard Past Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1402
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 06:52 AM
by Greg Rudd