Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach  (Read 78455 times)

Offline Jeff Taylor

Re: RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach
« Reply #100 on: Jun 17, 2010, 09:39 PM »
mea culpa.  My memory failed me!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #101 on: Jun 18, 2010, 11:17 AM »
I wonder what housekeeping thought when they entered the room... ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

jadherrick

« Reply #102 on: Jul 28, 2010, 11:36 PM »
Dear All,
Have just booked our 3 night stay on the QM..........wwwhhhoooo.........Feb - Mar 2011
will let you know all about our stay........prior to QV and Panama Canal Cruise and my 50th birthday !!!!!!!
Lot of Love
Julie xxxx

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #103 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:58 AM »
Julie,
 I just know you will enjoy the old lady, when you do embark she will grab hold of you! I was must surprised at how much l enjoyed my time on her last year, So much so that by the time you are there l will have been and gone again.
 If its any help, the directory of services has been scanned and is on here, its tells to a load of stuff before you embark so you can be prepared.
 Have fun!! and a Great 50th!
 Myles

jadherrick

« Reply #104 on: Jul 29, 2010, 09:15 AM »
Thank you Myles, so excited about our stay, but then we are for all our stays with Cunard. Decided against Las Vegas and to spend our time totally with QM and Long Beach.................

What is our best form of transport from the airport?
How long will it take?

Enjoy your future stay...dont take too much away with you when you leave her :-)...........
.i may even see with your eyes, hopefully.
We are lucky to own the naming ceremony programme so i will try to absorb some of the history before I go.

Love Julie xx

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #105 on: Jul 29, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I've been going to QM since 1983 and have never seen the wall open. 

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #106 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Re the Queen Mary Lifebelt previously pictured a few posts ago...

does anyone know where I could get either stencils or transfers of the Gold Cunard Lion on there?  Im re creating my own lifebelt and need something good to get the lions right,....

jadherrick

« Reply #107 on: Aug 02, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Hi all
What is our best form of transport to the QM?
How long will it take?
Julie xx

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #108 on: Aug 02, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Hi all
What is our best form of transport to the QM?
How long will it take?
Julie xx

There is a bus service the arrives and departs from the Queen Mary. But where and when it goes l have no idea Its called "The Passport" and seems to run a free service.  Certaintly in the evenings it seemd to run half hourly and that was quite late at night
 Not quite sure how expensive the local taxis are, guess it depends where your coming from.
 Hope this helps
Myles

Offline QueensFan

« Reply #109 on: Aug 02, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Hey Julie,

When I arrived at Los Angeles Union Station after a cross-country rail journey to QM, I was able to take the LA Metro rail lines to QM pretty easily. It was $5 a person, and a nice train system. Took maybe an hour from LA-Long Beach, and then I took the free Passport bus Myles mentioned to the ship, where I was deposited right in the carpark.

Where will you be approaching her from? If you're interested in the Metro idea, I can help you figure out how to go about. It's a pretty easy-to-use system -- considering I never knew that LA, car-dependent city of America, had a really good rail system!
--- Greg

jadherrick

« Reply #110 on: Aug 03, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Hi Cunardqueen and Queensfan,

We will be arriving at LA airport from Manchester England...................all advice will be helpful
Thank you Julie xx

I will check on the internet those you have already suggested thank you

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #111 on: Aug 03, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Hi Cunardqueen and Queensfan,

We will be arriving at LA airport from Manchester England...................all advice will be helpful
Thank you Julie xx

I will check on the internet those you have already suggested thank you

Taxi
LAX-Queen Mary would cost about $63.26. That is roughly $73 with a 15% tip. It is about 22.4 miles. There is a $2.50 surcharge for trips from LAX Airport.
http://la.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en

Supershuttle shared-van or car service
https://www.supershuttle.com/Rez/RateDetails.aspx?Location=Rates
the rates for the shared van are good, $17p/p, but it can be a while before you reach your destination.  Departing LAX they will circle around three times before leaving if they do not have a full load of passengers (guests? ;)) and there could be one or two other stops before you arrive.  This on top of waiting at the airport for your van to arrive.
Their rates for car service are competitive with other L.A. car services, just to give you an idea.

There is no tram or light rail serving LAX

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2010, 04:06 PM by Stowaway2k »

jadherrick

« Reply #112 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:06 AM »
Thank you all very much......xx

richc1977

« Reply #113 on: Nov 19, 2010, 06:35 PM »
An interesting article about the completed restoration of the Queen Mary's cabins

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2010/11/queen-mary-renovation-completed.html

And a fantastic photo of one of the restored cabins, looking very lovely!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef01348917443e970c-pi

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #114 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:02 PM »

The photo looks awfully like the Phinney suite l had last year, Personally l dont like the new bed cover
This was occupied by Sir Percy Bates on her maiden voyage

But l should be there in under 9 weeks... and lm beside myself with excitement ;D
To actually stand in the middle of such a glorious suite and just look around and imagine who has stayed here over the past 70 years, is simply quite amazing. And the stupid things like opening the drawers getting up close with the walls and fixings, if l remember correctly this suite had 6 doors .
The only negative comment, No tea bags !!! But then America doesnt do Tea :D 
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2018, 11:32 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #115 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Thank goodness they apparently replaced those "bare bulb" industrial style fluorescent fixtures that an earlier management had installed in the rooms when they converted the ship from 220v to 110v.  They were incredibly jarring against the 1930's woodwork.  I'm glad they didn't replace those original bathrooms even if the original crazy tubs have no flat spot to stand on for showering.  They are curved even on the bottom, and I can tell you that the Queen Elizabeth had the same type and they were a challenge when the ship was rolling!

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #116 on: Nov 19, 2010, 11:22 PM »
That looks an excellent cabin; exactly how I would like a cabin to be on a voyage, or how a good hotel room should be.

Disagree with you slighty about the bedding - the deep red and green based colour scheme goes well with the woodwork, though I would very much prefer sheets and blankets with a bedspread rather than a duvet - if there is one thing I hate it is getting tangled up in a duvet!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #117 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Quoted from the article below, the current owners understand the importance of preserving her heritage.  Hopefully QE2 will get the same respect!

“It was important for us to maintain the ship’s authenticity and historic appeal,” said General Manager Uwe Roggenthien. “But there are amenities that today’s traveler expects from a destination like the Queen Mary, and the renovation program meets those expectations.”

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #118 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:39 PM »
The room looks very lovely to me except for the very dull carpet - in service mary seemed to have lovely luxury jolly art deco rugs everywhere in the photos i've seen - and the bedspread which to me looks very 80s!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #119 on: Nov 22, 2010, 12:24 AM »
I just didnt like the plain white bed spread , coverlet or whatever you call them in the photo, l tend to put the case on the bed to unpack and would be concerned that a white things shows up every mark, where as the more coloured one can hide all things.

Happy 10th Anniversary Queen Victoria

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 3
Views: 445
Last post Dec 11, 2017, 11:04 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Queen Victoria 22 May 2015 Three Queens in Liverpool

Started by Cunarder ManBoard Past Events

Replies: 15
Views: 2523
Last post May 24, 2015, 12:39 AM
by Twynkle
1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2151
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by Derek BoydBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 62
Views: 5601
Last post Dec 01, 2017, 07:19 PM
by Trevor Casey
P.S. Medway Queen

Started by Bruce NichollsBoard Ships

Replies: 2
Views: 909
Last post Nov 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
by Clydebuilt1971