Author Topic: Long Beach regains full control of Queen Mary  (Read 385 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Long Beach regains full control of Queen Mary
« on: Jun 05, 2021, 03:17 PM »
After years of mismanagement by private operators, Long Beach regains full control of Queen Mary

"Today, for the first time in over 40 years, the City of Long Beach will regain full control of the Queen Mary.  “We will be fully engaged in the preservation of this historic landmark and are incredibly grateful for this opportunity,” Mayor Robert Garcia said in a statement."

https://signal-tribune.com/2021/06/04/after-years-of-mismanagement-by-private-owners-long-beach-regains-full-control-of-queen-mary/?mc_cid=4c12e558df&mc_eid=f9b6c5e709

Note on the signal tribune link that the website was subject to a hack on Saturday.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2021, 09:14 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Pete Hamill

Re: Long Beach regains full control of Queen Mary
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Great news.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2021, 07:56 PM »
It IS good news, Perhaps now the hysteria  will stop . The UK press is seems have now latched onto the story and if she isnt sinking or capsizing, then she is being towed back to Scotland .

What is a bit ironic is when she grounded on the tail of the bank  for a period, and only in very recent times has this damage been a touch of concern.

What is sad is that already we are into June and Queen Mary has suffered (along with every other hospitality venue) not only the loss of very good income from her accommodation But also from the various events held onboard, the Scottish Festival and the Ink Tatoo (ok thats maybe not everyone's cup of tea) but it brings in vast income, l was staggered when l was told how much. 

Perhaps now the City can re align and bring in a team that can utilize the full potential of what Queen Mary has to offer .Maybe even rethink the whole onboard operation.  I keep harping  on about it but the vast expedition area just sits there untouched with a vast revenue space unused.

Tie in a stay on Queen Mary by bringing  the Catalina ferry landing point back to Queen Mary and you generate more traffic , its a simply enough idea get those staying onboard QM away over the sea to Catalina for the day, Housekeeping can make a swoop on those cabins get them serviced before getting into the main hotel guest rooms . A busy day Housekeeping are pressed for time to get every cabin turned around, trim the checkout time to 11am   Ok l appreciate that's two very insignificant things in the wider picture, but it can and would improve the guest experience.

Up the Brunch price, introduce a locals price, what they are doing with the Sparkling wine tops ups iv noticed in recent years is a simple but crafty system that ensures the guest has no idea how much they have consumed. For me its still one of the best Buffets out there,ahead even of some of the Vegas ones. its not that big that you don't see it all, but the choice is pretty astounding and the location is as always a talking point , l have never known anyone l have taken there leave there without being wowed , give them a quick tour of the ship and most folk dont realise just what all there is.     
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2021, 08:30 PM »
This is great news to hear! It is great to know that the city has every intention of restoring the Queen Mary and giving her some love again.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the Mary over the course of the next year.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2021, 11:44 PM »
Excellent news that they're stepping up and doing what's needed at last. Maybe the "hysteria" spurred them to do something in which case it has served it's purpose. I hope it works out for Queen Mary as she deserves the best.

I have just seen, in another news article, that lifeboat removal is being talked about as part of the critical maintenance work. I hope this isn't QE2 style, leaving her somewhat naked and her profile permanently and unnaturally altered?! Surely a setup mimicking lifeboats (such as shades with images of the lifeboats on them placed appropriately on the davits as suggested by some for QE2) could be put in place or they could use replicas as I gather many of the lifeboats are unsafe now?
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2021, 02:27 PM »
Excellent news that they're stepping up and doing what's needed at last. Maybe the "hysteria" spurred them to do something in which case it has served it's purpose. I hope it works out for Queen Mary as she deserves the best.

I have just seen, in another news article, that lifeboat removal is being talked about as part of the critical maintenance work. I hope this isn't QE2 style, leaving her somewhat naked and her profile permanently and unnaturally altered?! Surely a setup mimicking lifeboats (such as shades with images of the lifeboats on them placed appropriately on the davits as suggested by some for QE2) could be put in place or they could use replicas as I gather many of the lifeboats are unsafe now?

It feels petty to talk about the lifeboats, when the entire ship is at such risk, however the lifeboats are even more of a feature of Mary than they are of QE2.  The long line of boats are essential to her outline.  Also not having them there, makes things such as period drama more difficult.  The best plan would be to save whats left of the the original boats somewhere, then create lightweight fibreglass? mock-ups and hang them instead from repaired davits.  Those original boats must weigh a lot.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2021, 08:26 PM »
I thought the lifeboats had already been replaced when she moved to Longbeach.
Here is a photo of No. 11 from 2016. Not in great shape. Looks like metal & wood construction in varying states of decay.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2021, 08:33 PM by Pete Hamill »

Offline skilly56

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2021, 12:58 PM »
The Lifeboats - further to Peter's photo I add these.
I was concerned that the operators don't even appear to have made any covers to prevent the deterioration of the boats.
They just slap on more coats of paint and hope people don't look too hard.
As the boats could still be hanging from the last wires she used at sea they are now probably too concerned to lower the boats with the davits.
The corrosion of the inner, original skins will be seriously compromising the strength of the hull. The outer skin is one of the patches.
One morning someone will look up and see the middle of the boat is resting on the deck while the ends will still be high in the falls!
Bloody disgraceful! I took these photos in July 2018.

Skilly

I have added another photo - taken from shore-side, showing that at least two motor/hand-propelled lifeboats have been fitted with patches (just click it, then zoom in to see them, but its a poor cosmetic job). This means the view above showing the corrosion actually shows the original hull having totally rotted out, and you can see the patch underneath.
The white casing above & behind is the fwd funnel - totally wrapped in plastic for maintenance.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2021, 12:56 AM by skilly56 »

Offline Rod

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2021, 01:28 PM »
I didn't realize that she had Fleming gear!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2021, 06:41 PM »
Out of curiosity, why are some of the lifeboats intact inside and the others hollow for lack of a better word? Are the hollow ones replicas and not originals?

When I visited SS Rotterdam in August 2019, her lifeboats no longer had their covers on them and I have similar concerns regarding their deterioration due to preventable weathering/exposure. SS Rotterdam's lifeboats were already looking weathered on the inside too. I hope they've since replaced the covers.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline skilly56

« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2021, 01:19 AM »
Thanks Rod,

I couldn't for the life of me remember what the hand propulsion system was called!

Cheers,
T.

Offline Rod

« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2021, 01:40 AM »
For those that do not know,  "Fleming gear" was method of propelling a life boat through the water.
It consisted of a series of vertical operating handles, as seen in the pic, that yo pushed forward and pulled back to make the boat go! Handles were connected to the prop shaft through a series of links.
No fuel required, but....... lots of maintenance to keep the handles and linkages free.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2021, 07:12 PM »
While it is great that Long Beach have taken over Queen Mary, it should not be taken as a sign that all will be well.
Municipalities large and small have a notoriously bad track record in maintaining things trusted to them, whether it be ships, land, museums, etc. I hope I get to eat my words.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline skilly56

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2021, 07:08 AM »
The following is a recent report from a Californian source:

Quote:

Re the removal of all the boiler rooms, the forward engine room, both turbo generator rooms, the ship stabilisers and the water softening plant - the ship's empty fuel tanks were filled with local mud to keep the ship's centre of gravity and draft at the correct levels, as these critical factors had been affected by the removal of the various components and structure. Only the aft engine room and "shaft alley", at the stern of the ship, would be spared. The remaining space would be used for storage or office space.

In 2017, a report on the ship's condition was issued. The report observed that not only the hull but also the supports for a raised exhibition area within the ship were corroding and that the ship's deteriorating condition left areas such as the engine room vulnerable to flooding.[67] Repair costs were estimated at close to $300 million. In November 2016 the City of Long Beach had put $23 million toward addressing Queen Mary's most vital repairs. John Keisler, economic and property development director for Long Beach, said: "We have a timeline in which the engineers believe they can complete those immediate projects. These are major challenges we can only address over time; it can't all be done at once." Political leaders in Scotland, birthplace of Queen Mary, called for the then UK Prime Minister Theresa May to pressure the American government to fund a full repair of the liner in 2017.[68]

In August 2019, Edward Pribonic, the engineer responsible for inspecting Queen Mary on behalf of the City of Long Beach, issued a report stating that the ship was in the worst condition he had seen in his 25 years on the job.[69] Pribonic stated that the neglect of Queen Mary had grown worse under the management of Urban Commons, and concluded that "without an immediate and very significant infusion of manpower and money, the condition of the ship will likely soon be unsalvageable.” Incidents of recent neglect include the flooding of the Grand Ballroom with sewage after a pipe which was flimsily patched with duct tape burst, significant amounts of standing water in the ship's bilge, and recently applied paint on the ship's funnels already peeling because of the poor way in which it was applied. The pessimistic conclusion of Pribonic was disputed by city officials, who called the warnings "hyperbolic" and pointed to the "significant" work that has already been undertaken towards repairing Queen Mary.[69]

The $23 million apportioned for repairs ran out in 2018, with 19 out of the 27 urgent projects identified by a 2015 marine survey completed as of September 2019. There were significant cost overruns overall, with the cost of fire safety repairs increasing from the original estimate of $200,000 to $5.29 million.[70] Two of the remaining eight issues identified in 2015 are considered "critical" - this includes the removal of the ship's lifeboats, which have rotted and are in danger of collapsing.[70]

In October 2019, the City of Long Beach warned Urban Commons that the company was failing to uphold its commitment to maintain and repair Queen Mary and that it was accordingly in danger of defaulting on its 66-year lease agreement.[65] Urban Commons responded with an updated plan for repairs, including the removal of the lifeboats at a cost of between $5 and $7 million, and new paint work.[71] After Urban Commons filed for bankruptcy in 2021, an architecture and marine engineering firm hired by the city found that $23 million was needed for urgent safety repairs to keep the ship viable over the next two years.[72] The report by Elliott Bay Design Group reported that the vessel is vulnerable to flooding or possibly even capsizing.[66]

Unquote
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2021, 07:11 AM by skilly56 »

Online Trevor Casey

« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2021, 11:19 PM »
Very nice news to see today!
Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine, cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.