Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE launch 20 October 2010  (Read 2368 times)

Cruise_Princess

QE launch 20 October 2010
« on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Did you know there are 2 famous launches both on 11 October,?

HMS Duncan will be the last ship launched on the Clyde for a very very long time...I can't  believe they are both on the same day ..what are the odds of that?  No way can I be at the naming of the new Cunarder as well as the launch of HMS Duncan....isn't fate strange?   You can wait for a bus for ever and typically 2 come at once,.. I'm REAL annoyed!!  (Even if I had the privelage of my own helicopter or plane I still wouldn't make it ....HMS Duncan is launched at 3.47....
Ba Humbug!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Re: Launch 11 October
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:49 AM »
HMS Duncan will be the last ship launched on the Clyde for a very very long time...

Also probably the last dynamic launch in the country as well (ie a slipway launch rather than float out). The UK are one of the very few countries who do this - Poland launched the ferries they built for Calmac sideways into a river - a rather disconcerting view as the vessel lists alarmly as she enters the water!

Gav

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:55 AM »
YIP and we all know about he Cal Mac ships built in Poland.......I'll say no more about that one!

I have been lucky to attend the previous naval launches for the D series destroyers...its an amazing and very emotional sight to see that ship go down the slipway and the noise of those chains....It s a true experience never to be forgotten!  And I miss the very last one!  But the new Queen took precedence...

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:18 PM »
A practical question please :

On behalf of a friend who would like to enjoy the naming ceremony together with other members of the Ocean Liner Society :

• when will QE arrive in Southampton?
  • where will the naming ceremony take place?
  • can ordinary members of the public gather somewhere where they will see/hear what is happening?
  • will there be a giant screen somewhere, as there was for the naming of QV?

Information on these items will be very gratefully received.

Offline bswan

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2010, 11:59 AM »
It would be great to see. :)

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Queen Elizabeth will arrive in Southampton on Friday 8 October and will be alongside the Ocean Terminal around 0900 hours.

The Naming will take place from 1600 hours on Monday 11 October. I understand there will be a screen in Southampton. Will revert with details.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Im surprised it Queen Elizabeth wasnt being named at the QEII Terminal,its more out of the way so to speak, Just errect a big open ended tent and you would have a great view of the ship, as it is with the Ocean Terminal is there much of a view of anything from there, unless the visitors are inside, and are told Look but you cannot touch.

Then again maybe the Carnival spin will prefer A Queen naming a Queen at a building whose name is linked with many Queens of old. As opposed to The Queen naming a pretend Queen at the terminal of a very grand old Queen.... :D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2010, 08:00 PM »
The QEII Terminal is a building site at the moment with the rail tracks having been taken up.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Queen Elizabeth will arrive in Southampton on Friday 8 October and will be alongside the Ocean Terminal around 0900 hours.

The Naming will take place from 1600 hours on Monday 11 October. I understand there will be a screen in Southampton. Will revert with details.

Thank you, flagship! I shall pass on the news.

I wonder what she will be doing in Southampton from Friday 09.00 hours to Monday afternoon? Presumably stocking up and embarking her crew?

How close will be curious public be able to get?

Offline Twynkle

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2010, 11:59 AM »
A special programme  of the launch of Queen Elizabeth
is due to be shown on BBC South - 6.30pm Monday 11.10.2010

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2010, 12:07 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.