Author Topic: Isn't she beautiful!!! (a parade of ugly cruise ships!)  (Read 76783 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Isn't she beautiful!!! (a parade of ugly cruise ships!)
« Reply #210 on: Nov 18, 2022, 11:07 PM »

Found on Facebook. Icon of the Seas. Sailing from Miami, Florida beginning January 2024.

I can hardly imagine a worse place to find myself in and not be able to get off...  :o
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2022, 01:35 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #211 on: Nov 18, 2022, 11:11 PM »
Oh.
My.
God.

:o
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rod

« Reply #212 on: Nov 19, 2022, 01:13 AM »
I know that many of you will be too young to remember, but what comes to my mind is 50's and 60's Butlins 'oliday camps!

I am sorry if some people think that Butlins was/is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I only have one instance where we went to one very close to Blackpool in the early 60's we had booked and paid, we didn't even get out of the car. Dad said words to the effect of I'm not staying here and we turned around!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #213 on: Nov 19, 2022, 01:51 AM »
How awful !!
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #214 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:04 AM »
This is the photo that went "viral" with the description of 'human lasagna'... Due to the layers of people.

A very long way from the ship we all loved.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #215 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:21 AM »
Not my idea of a cruise ship. I agree with Rod - this is like a Butlins Holiday Camp but at Sea.

I read that the intention was to have more waterslides, so that the "kids" do not have to queue. Why not just take the kids to a theme park.

But I suppose you needs different cruise ships to meet different tastes, however not for me.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #216 on: Nov 20, 2022, 08:11 AM »
When I first saw this image, I just couldn't believe that a ship like this would exist!

When I went on my first cruise a few years back, I sailed on a ship that always made you know that you were on the ocean and gave you a connection to the sea. Ships like the new Icon of the Seas and the Oasis Class lose that and just make you feel like you're in some family resort on land.

Bigger is not always better and this (in my mind) is just too much!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #217 on: Nov 20, 2022, 11:17 PM »
If i was to ever cruise again, and its a big if, this would be the kind of thing l would envisage having a try of . For sure it won't be Cunard , if for no other reason than imaging going back to a product and not liking it .
There's also no reason whatsoever to think about seeing QE2 in Dubai. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #218 on: Nov 22, 2022, 05:33 PM »
If i was to ever cruise again, and its a big if, this would be the kind of thing l would envisage having a try of . For sure it won't be Cunard , if for no other reason than imaging going back to a product and not liking it .

Myles, I think you should take up the challenge to book a cruise on this ship and send us picture. Especially on the waterslide.   :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #219 on: Nov 26, 2022, 01:27 PM »

I think you're making a mistake to rule out Cunard and cruising in general.  Queen Victoria in particular is so much like the QE2 experience, including a huge number of former passengers and crew who you'd still know.  It certainly all felt very similar to me in September, far more similar than the huge but wonderful QM2.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #220 on: Nov 26, 2022, 09:34 PM »
Returning to the subject of the thread...

Do a Google search for "Pangeos the Terayacht", a proposed ship costing USD $8 billion and which would carry 60,000 people...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #221 on: Nov 27, 2022, 02:19 PM »
Pangeos the Terayacht
Seeing the golfcarts running around on the video of that vessel reminded me of 'The Villages' retirement community i Florida ;D

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #222 on: Nov 27, 2022, 04:59 PM »
Returning to the subject of the thread...

Do a Google search for "Pangeos the Terayacht", a proposed ship costing USD $8 billion and which would carry 60,000 people...

Looks like someone if having a laugh - certainly a contender for the ugliest ship - if you could call it  a ship.

www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #223 on: Nov 28, 2022, 02:29 AM »
ieeeeeeeeeeeee !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #224 on: Nov 28, 2022, 08:32 AM »
Oh boy!

This "terayacht" is reminding me of a similar concept I heard about a few years back, the Freedom Ship. Except Freedom Ship is longer and even has a full on airport on top!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!