Author Topic: Songs of Praise on the QE2  (Read 9296 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Songs of Praise on the QE2 (1990)
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2010, 04:57 PM »
Thanks Michael. Would love to see the Spithead Review photos when you have time to scan them. 

Do you know if the QE2 was the only ship where passengers have participated in Songs of Praise? 

Couple of things could be added to the QE2 Story timeline such as the Songs of Praise filming and opening the Ringaskiddy Terminal in Cork.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline sotonsean

• QE2 Crew member
  • Pavillion Snacker
  • A picture taken in 1984
Re: Songs of Praise filmed on QE2
« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2013, 11:53 PM »
Think it was 1990, Myles
Wasn't it produced by Alan Titchmarsh?
And yes, any pictures / other memories anyone?

Songs of Praise was also recorded onboard QE2 during a 4 night cruise from Southampton to La Coruna in September 1986 with Harry Secombe as the host, many of the passengers were taken to Santiago de Compostela for a church service as well.
I joined QE2 in September 1983 as an assistant waiter becoming a full time waiter in the Columbia Restaurant in October 1983.
In June 1984 I became a petter officer in the Accounts/Pursers Office. I left QE2 in April 1987 to work on the cross channel ferries untill October 1998 as Dep Purser.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Songs of Praise filmed on QE2
« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2013, 12:18 AM »
Songs of Praise was also recorded onboard QE2 during a 4 night cruise from Southampton to La Coruna in September 1986 with Harry Secombe as the host, many of the passengers were taken to Santiago de Compostela for a church service as well.

Thank you for this information! That must have been a very special cruise for everyone.

I wonder how many times Songs of Praise was recorded on board QE2?

Online Cunarder Man

Re: Songs of Praise on the QE2
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:30 AM »
I was on the 4 night cruise to La Corunna in September 1984 on which a recording of Highway was made. It featured Harry Secombe, Stutz Bear Cats, Lorna Dallas and others. It was a religious programme and there was filming at The Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. I recall Captain Portet being interviewed and I still have a video of the programme.

This cruise started in Cherbourg as it was the time of the Miners' strikes and the Dockers in UK were out in sympathy. QE2 passengers were flown from south coast airports to Cherbourg to meet the ship.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2013, 06:38 AM by Cunarder Man »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2013, 07:14 AM »
I was on the 4 night cruise to La Corunna in September 1984 on which a recording of Highway was made. It featured Harry Secombe, Stutz Bear Cats, Lorna Dallas and others. It was a religious programme and there was filming at The Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. I recall Captain Portet being interviewed and I still have a video of the programme.

This cruise started in Cherbourg as it was the time of the Miners' strikes and the Dockers in UK were out in sympathy. QE2 passengers were flown from south coast airports to Cherbourg to meet the ship.

Wow, would love to see that sometime! Well done for hanging onto it! This for me is a fascinating period when QE2 was at the height of her fame and my dad was disappearing off to it increasingly regularly!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:44 PM »
A small snippet of Highway, found on You Tube;

Full Away on Passage.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Bottom photo also shows seated Pauline Sleigh the Captains Secretary and (JDH) John Hewison
Was it normal to sing seated...
attached a couple of photos of 2 different Cunard song books....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:54 PM »

Brilliant! :)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:55 PM »
And also great to see Gordon, my first cabin steward in image 9!   Didn't have a picture of him and thought I'd never see him again.     

He featured in some of the brochures in the signal deck suites.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2013, 07:27 PM »

Brilliant, I remember this being filmed! If only we could turn back the clocks.

Offline Rod

« Reply #25 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:53 PM »
Then you had Bob Venning and David Warden-Owen.

Offline Mike McCann

« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2019, 06:38 PM »
Was on my honeymoon on board and was interviewed by Alan Tichmarsh as part of the TV programme. I still have the Songs of Praise 'programme' that was handed out everyone on board. (pic attached) I will dig out the VHS recording I have of the program and convert it to digital when I have time and post it here. :)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2022, 10:08 AM »
As part of Cunard's 150 year celebrations, the TV show Songs of Praise was recorded onboard the ship.  How many people do you recognise from the screenshots that Rob has posted?

go to start of topic
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Songs that make us think & dream of QE2

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 103
Views: 47882
Last post Jun 15, 2021, 10:58 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski