Author Topic: "Carry on QE2" - 1995 BBC programme about the 94 Refit Fiasco  (Read 14607 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: "Carry on QE2" - 1995 BBC programme about the 94 Refit Fiasco
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2010, 09:57 PM »
48 hours to go...

Pavillion

Lido

Mauretania Model

Passenger deck
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Library...

Passenger deck

Yacht Club

A cabin floods for the 3rd time "niagara, niagara, niagara..."
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Getting close to sailing time...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:15 PM »
6 hours to departure.

100s of workers were struggling with unfinished jobs, all over the ship.  British workers, on the ship with no passports, were allowed to travel to New York without them.  Managers were in crisis meetings.   For passengers in the nearby terminal, it was difficult to find out what was going on.

lido

1-deck

outside yacht club

lido

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Finally, passengers were allowed on board, but few realised they would be travelling to new york with 500 workmen, and 300 passengers were left behind.  All were offered refunds, and for this Cunard set aside an additional £7m. 

"when we eventually got on board, we were taken to the queens room where we were kept waiting for 8.5 hours". 

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2010, 11:52 PM »
While I have always felt bad for Cunard over this incident, and embarrassed for them, I must say that all the resulting bad publicity was well deserved and probably rates among the most shameful moments in Cunard's long history.

Thanks for the screen captures.   ;D

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Rob - These are great, thank you!
It's astonishing to think that anyone other than 'workmen' were permitted to be on board
Must have been exceptionally hard for the crew as well...
Apart from QE2 - she looks well out of sorts, were any injuries reported?

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010, 09:44 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2010, 01:00 AM »
More about this crossing here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,630.0.html

... and to think that this was the first leg of a world cruise... the mind boggles!

It must have been particularly embarrassing to have had the BBC crew on board... presumably they had not been expecting this fiasco when they decided to film!

Offline bswan

« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:49 PM »
I would love to watch the video on 'Carry on QE2' if anyone can tell me where i can get a copy???
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010, 09:44 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Just now seeing this post.  I'll have to track down the video.  I've heard the sotries but never thought it was as bad as the photos show.  Absolutely amazing!!!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2011, 04:06 PM »
The problems all started on the way over to Hamburg from New York the ship had hit rough seas a lot of contractors were sick sea, between the british and german workers fights broke out the skelton crew were told to avoid all contact with both sides.After arriving in Hamburg a lot of work was already behind planned most of the british workers left the ship to be replaced by others, afterwards it was just chaos after chaos, us the crew were doing almost double duties trying to get the ship back to one piece.Until the departure no one knew if the ship would and the rumour that went around the ship was that Captain Burton Hall refused to take the ship out of dry dock thus been taken over Captain Warwick. (hopefully i got the Captains right)

Louis

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:17 PM »
I would have loved to have been on that cruise.
paul

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2017, 02:14 AM »

image 3 - the midships lobby - before refit - preparations

Prob my favorite configuration.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:37 AM »
I was sat in the room with John Olsen during the later interview.  Dry difficult. It was his refusal to give a satisfactory apology which ultimately sealed his fate that day.

Regardless of what people think of Olsen he should be remembered as being the one who got Trafalgar House investing in Cunard with the much needed refits of QE2 and Vistafjord, the purchase of Royal Viking, the introduction of Heritage etc, the start of the SWIFT project. He achieved a lot.

It never fails to amaze me that Vistafjord put to see at roughly the same time as QE2 in a worst condition as QE2. When I visited her I’m Malta she was a real building site compared to QE2!