Author Topic: SS Oriana  (Read 17042 times)

Offline Ron Baxter

Re: SS Oriana
« Reply #40 on: Apr 09, 2016, 03:00 PM »
Hello Singlemalt,

I've just come across your bit about "Oriana", I suppose I should say the old Oriana now.  I was born and bred in Barrow, I was an Apprentice Fitter in the shipyard when Oriana was under construction.  In 1957 I was working with the Top Yard Millwrights's squad in the third year of my apprenticeship and one of my jobs was to lay out the oxygen lines for the burners.  As a ship was under construction it was my job to make sure an oxygen supply was available in all parts of the ship, obviously as the ship grew in size I had to rig up extra pipework and move any pipes that were in the way of new bulkheads as they were erected etc.,  by the time a ship was ready for launch I would have laid out quite a complex network of pipes, the hard bit came just before launch date when I had to dismantle the whole lot and return everything to the store ready for use on the next vessel.  On a very wet morning in September 1957 I stood by watching the keel laying ceremony of Oriana, all the shipyard bigwigs and the P&O representatives assembled to watch a huge wet, steel plate being lowered into position on the slip-way, there was a large, outline drawing of the proposed ship propped up alongside the site, to give them some idea of what they would eventually be getting.  Ceremony over the Bigwigs retired to the warmth and hospitality of the boardroom, I moved in with my first pipe run.  Oriana was launched by Princess Alexandra on a beautiful sunny, but rather cold, November morning in 1959, I got my girl friend a ticket that allowed her into the yard on launch day, we stood together in the sunshine on the ship's starboard side and watched her slip into Walney Channel.  Four months later I joined the Cunard line and I was to watch Oriana come into Southampton for the first time and try to offer some defence against the comments of my ship-mates who didn't think she was a very good looking vessel.(I have that story written down somewhere).

Can I just add that the girl who accompanied me to launch took a chance and married me fifty six years ago at St.George's church Barrow-in-Furness and Oriana is in the back ground of our wedding photos.

Over and out,

Ron B. 

Offline pete cain

« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:14 PM »
http://www.cumbria-industries.org.uk/a-history-of-the-port-of-barrow/

Just found this site, with a beautiful shot of Oriana fitting out,
 the tug in the foreground will be  Rampside ,1 of 2 at the time steam tugs 'Roa' & 'Rampside' named after local islands, (what price one of those now???).
 I recon the ship on the left is one of the I O M  steampacket  ladies arriving for winter lay up.  could have most of them in for the winter.
 Also an interesting miniread of the history of  the docks

Offline Trevor Casey

• On a short personal break
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Forum Member since March 3, 2017
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:21 PM »
If I never knew about QE2, it would be Oriana. Always.
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."-Princess Diana

Offline Trevor Casey

• Princess Grill Diner
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Oriana is in Hamburg undergoing a refit

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:9.962/centery:53.541/zoom:17
Sorry Roy, I think this topic is for the original.
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."-Princess Diana

Offline Kevin Hicks

• Imaginative Speedster
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Destiny always finds you first.
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:28 PM »
My first time learning of the Oriana. My first reaction. Not as good looking as QE2, or any other liner for that matter, but that's a beautiful ship! :)
QE2: the liner against which all others are measured.

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:31 PM »
My first time learning of the Oriana. My first reaction. Not as good looking as QE2, or any other liner for that matter, but that's a beautiful ship! :)

Also built with a significant Aluminium superstructure.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.

Offline Kevin Hicks

• Imaginative Speedster
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Destiny always finds you first.
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Aluminum-built, like QE2!
QE2: the liner against which all others are measured.

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:33 PM »
Aluminum-built, like QE2!

Above her main deck - like QE2.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.

Offline Trevor Casey

• Princess Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Oriana is a very special liner. You will love her the more you see her! I love her stern!

Offline Tony

« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:57 PM »
This was the second ship I worked on for marine photo services, after the Chandris Lines Bon Vivant. Came back from Greece after the BV season ended and the #1 photog of that ship was ushered into the office first. Then my turn came up. "How about going out to Australia next week on the Oriana?"

Wow! Best ship in their line up, and found that i just loved her. A great place to live and work.

Book Review : P&O Oriana & Aurora - TAKING UK CRUISING INTO A NEW MILLENIUM

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Ships

Replies: 0
Views: 1511
Last post Mar 09, 2013, 06:15 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Oriana Passengers refuse to leave ship

Started by tdicksonBoard Ships

Replies: 4
Views: 1175
Last post Dec 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
by Bruce Nicholls