Author Topic: GBTT (used until 24th October 2011) then ZCEF2  (Read 4862 times)

Offline QueensFan

GBTT (used until 24th October 2011) then ZCEF2
« on: Sep 10, 2010, 12:55 AM »
Just following a thought of how further QE2 would be represented on QE(II)...I googled good ol' GBTT...the radio code of QE2 and Queen Mary. I get this page:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=GBTT

I have two thoughts:

1) Nakheel pulled a fast one on the time-space continuum, and QE2 spent late August in the Adriatic;

2) QE is going to have the radio code GBTT.

The timing and track make sense with QE's sea trials last month...

Since QM2 couldn't have had GBTT, with their services overlapping (and she "is" GBQM now, I think), I'm really, really happy to see the code staying in the Cunard fleet, as opposed to their using "GBQE."
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 07:23 PM by Rob Lightbody »
--- Greg

Offline Jem

Re: GBTT
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2010, 02:10 AM »
Great find, that would be good new.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2010, 02:16 AM »
If any ship deserves GBTT, its QM2...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline QueensFan

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2010, 02:27 AM »
If any ship deserves GBTT, its QM2...

Agreed...but for her to get it, would have required QE2 to forfeit it in 2003...which would have been a sort of Catch-22 from 2003-200X.

I'd much rather see a code with a 75-year direct Cunard history attached to QE, a Cunarder, than some bulker or tanker that gets the luck of the draw in the radio code lottery.

Of course...if we were REALLY going for linearity (and were to set aside the name debate)...both QE2 and QE(II) would be assigned GBSS, QE(I)'s code, which seems unassigned ca.2010. QM2 would be GBTT, in the footsteps of QM. Or at the least, QM2 would have adopted GBSS. (This is the sort of thing that keeps my OCD up late.)
--- Greg

Online Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Greg - your OCD curiosity is invaluable, don't let it go! :)

About allocating a call-sign to a new ship, who would be involved in making the decision?
Is this a technical question relating more to the marine / maritime regulations?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2010, 10:25 AM »
I asked our technical people in October 2008 (after we announced the new Queen Elizabeth) to make sure we held on to it or registered it somehow after QE2's departure.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Its great that it is not being "lost" after a 70+ year association with Cunard. 

Was it just randomly assigned to QM originally and how was it held between QM's retiral and QE2 entering service? 

Has any callsign ever been on 3 ships? 

I completely understand why its not on QM2, but I do think it would have been the right place for her.  However QM2 is starting her own legend as GBQM.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2010, 11:51 PM »
The news seems to be confirmed here :

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/mars/ship_detail.sh?lang=en&2076900&QUEEN+ELIZABETH

It will take me a moment to get used to this idea... in September 2008, we were still told that GBTT would stay with QE2 and that no other ship would receive this call sign...

Online Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Who else may become confused?! ;)
http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=GBTT

Just for the record - QE2's call sign is currently YJVW6
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2010, 10:42 AM »
It's wonderful that GBTT is to be kept in the Cunard Fleet - but also another reminder that the QE2 we knew and loved is gone.
I must say these little continuations show that Cunard are proud of their heritage! A regular pax wouldn't know much about callsigns (or the history of GBTT) but for us maritime buffs it makes all the difference!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2010, 01:14 AM »
I wonder if anything like this will happen again?

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1141.0.html

It is technically possible.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline bswan

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2010, 12:13 PM »
GBTT is our link to the memories of our beloved QE2!!! i couldnt imagine it not being present with Cunard.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2010, 03:22 PM »
GBTT = Great British Touring Tub? ;D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE : GBTT > ZCEF2
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Queen Elizabeth's catchy new callsign appears to be ZCEF2

Source - http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Queen-Elizabeth-9477438.html

Online cunardqueen

Re: GBTT (used until 24th October 2011) then ZCEF2
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:37 PM »
 Queen Elizabeth's catchy new callsign appears to be ZCEF2

Cunard can rejoice, Now that GBTT is gone They have a F in call sign which no one wants to see ;)
If only the newest and youngest fleet could move with the speed at which Carnival have done with this...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Twynkle

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Rob - When you were on board QE2, did you by any chance discover if GBTT remained on the roofs of some of the tenders?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Rob - When you were on board QE2, did you by any chance discover if GBTT remained on the roofs of some of the tenders?

I'll have a look at my zillions of photos and see.  I stood on top of the GBTT letters on top of the bridge - which were still clearly visible - and looked like with some time and the right product (T-cut would do it i think!), they could be uncovered.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Wasn't GBTT covered / painted over / removed when QE2 was drydocked in 2009?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Wasn't GBTT covered / painted over / removed when QE2 was drydocked in 2009?

Yes, but its there under a thin layer of paint, it was very clearly visible when standing on top of it!

Online Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:00 PM »
I'll have a look at my zillions of photos and see.  I stood on top of the GBTT letters on top of the bridge - which were still clearly visible - and looked like with some time and the right product (T-cut would do it i think!), they could be uncovered.
Thank You.
Only if you have time!

(You might need me to move the rest of this post to somewhere else!)

A plea to QE2_DXB -
'Wherever her call sign remains painted on the ship,
please, please, please can it stay.
If it needs to be changed at any time for purely technical / maritime reasons, then please could her original call-sign be kept in tact underneath.
She ain't got her Builders' Plate - therefore keeping her original call-sign seems even more important.
Thank you!

GBTT

Started by TwynkleBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 29
Views: 6957
Last post May 21, 2020, 03:23 AM
by BlueSparky