Author Topic: Accidents and mishaps at sea  (Read 126201 times)

Alex Tarry and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Accidents and mishaps at sea
« Reply #285 on: Mar 28, 2021, 12:38 AM »
Probably, taking the on line course in navigation wasn't such a great idea.....
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #286 on: Mar 28, 2021, 11:56 PM »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #288 on: Mar 29, 2021, 12:28 PM »
A closer look at the hydrodynamics :

https://www.ft.com/content/171c92ec-0a44-4dc5-acab-81ee2620d3c1?

This FT link is locked behind their paywall unfortunately.

A couple of videos which refer to the "bank effect" and other hydrodynamic issues by an experienced aviation pilot who provides excellent unbiased news reports (albeit usually on air accidents):

And a video by his marine equivalent who usually vlogs his life on the ocean waves (used as one of the sources by the above YouTuber as not a subject matter expert):

When ships are undergoing a RAS (Refuelling At Sea) a somewhat similar phenomenon to the "bank effect" is encountered apparently (the smaller ship more likely being sucked towards the larger ship if I understand it correctly).
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2021, 01:08 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #289 on: Mar 29, 2021, 01:03 PM »
She seems to still be stuck with no end in sight according to the salvage company. They're talking about unloading the bow so they can release it.  There must be a real risk of accidentally damaging the ship... They've brought the stern around and it's a good job the bow swiveled and didn't just snap off or bend!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #290 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:22 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2021, 03:27 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #291 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:42 PM »
https://apnews.com/article/suez-canal-ship-freed-live-updates-48f856c9afed58feb908878c2a495287

Giant container ship that blocked Suez Canal set free

Fantastic news!

Hopefully they will learn some lessons from this???
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #292 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:47 PM »
What amazes me is the number of ships that were blocked due to this event. 369 of them, to be precise -- and that is without counting the Maersk and other ships that were quickly diverted via the Cape of Good Hope instead.

We seem to be so focused on cruise ships at this time of Covid limitations, that we risk overlooking the fact that much of the world's freight shipping (as well as ferries, short or long distance) continues in the meantime.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #293 on: Mar 29, 2021, 07:05 PM »
I was just having a look to see what ships were using the canal already and there we have.... just entering the stretch where Ever Given got stuck, at 400M long, the Ever Globe!!  Fingers crossed!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #294 on: Mar 30, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Attached is a photo of a long line of ships full of crew who are very grateful to not be heading off round the Cape!

It's quite addictive watching the Suez canal, it's incredibly busy and fast moving.

« Reply #295 on: Mar 30, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Looks very impressive!

However, if I were crew, I would relish the detour around the African coast and the Cape :) .

Offline Rod

« Reply #296 on: Mar 30, 2021, 04:34 PM »
I follow this guys vlog. Apart from the Evergiven he has some very interesting short videos on all sorts of shipboard life.

Sorry, just noticed that someone has posted one of the videos. As for not being an expert..........he certainley knows a lot.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2021, 06:15 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rod

« Reply #297 on: Mar 30, 2021, 04:40 PM »
What amazes me is the number of ships that were blocked due to this event. 369 of them, to be precise -- and that is without counting the Maersk and other ships that were quickly diverted via the Cape of Good Hope instead.

We seem to be so focused on cruise ships at this time of Covid limitations, that we risk overlooking the fact that much of the world's freight shipping (as well as ferries, short or long distance) continues in the meantime.

Don't forget that something like 10% of the worlds cargo of one kind or another goes through the Suez.
Another thing that this brought up......containers may be in short supply soon because of the amount of full ones that are stuck in the canal.
AND, the blame game has started. Ship owners blame the weather and a steering gear malfunction, canal boss says whoa hold on, somebody  tried to blame the pilots. This is going to get nasty.And expensive!

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #298 on: Mar 30, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Looks very impressive!

However, if I were crew, I would relish the detour around the African coast and the Cape :) .

Not if you were due on leave from Rotterdam or wherever in Europe these ships are heading you wouldn't!

There are no stops, for a 'tour' or a days 'sightseeing' on that route, apart from possibly a fuel stop in Cape Town or Durban. Resupplying and any crew changes are normally done by helicopter while still underway, stopping costs money.

I wonder if the owners of those ships that have started the 'detour' have rued their decision, taken in haste possibly!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #299 on: Mar 30, 2021, 06:15 PM »
I follow this guys vlog. Apart from the Evergiven he has some very interesting short videos on all sorts of shipboard life.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltdHRdtEHE4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CIgHnH-1zo

Sorry, just noticed that someone has posted one of the videos. As for not being an expert..........he certainley knows a lot.

Thank you (both) for posting those - I just got lost in his videos for a while!

This one is fab - he takes you on board during a Suez voyage on his ship.