Author Topic: QE2 "Q2" Golf Clubs made from her propellors  (Read 50986 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: QE2 Golf Clubs
« Reply #15 on: Jul 05, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Absolutely amazing and a great story.. ;D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #16 on: Jul 05, 2012, 10:42 PM »
Really amazing!

Offline Paul Ableson

« Reply #17 on: Jul 06, 2012, 07:21 AM »
a couple of more pics that didnt download last night.
These pics show the press and the starting of cutting one prop with a Thermic Lance

Offline Paul Ableson

« Reply #18 on: Jul 06, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Pic of one of the cut blades being lowered into the furnace for smelting and then the metal being poured into ingots

Offline Paul Ableson

« Reply #19 on: Jul 06, 2012, 08:54 AM »
It seems I can only load one image at a time so here is the pic of part of a blade being lowered into the furnace

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #20 on: Jul 06, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Absolutely brilliant, a most interesting account!
Thanks

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #21 on: Jul 06, 2012, 01:36 PM »
This is one of my favourite topics ever!

Feeling slightly sad, though, to see those beautiful powerful propellers, they most powerful in the world, destroyed. I'd have loved for one to be preserved somewhere, maybe clydebank.

Aye any of her propellors, other than the two still fitted to her, still in existence anywhere? (Cue start of another topic...)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Paul Ableson

« Reply #22 on: Jul 06, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Rob
to answer your question as to whether the other pair survived the answer is No . At Bremeharven the ship was completely gutted to the extent that her funnels were removed and she even had snow in the engine room in during the winter. If I remember correctly a company called Lipps removed the old ones and would have used the metal to produce new ones but not especially for the QE2. The old ones  were replaced with variable  pitch versions which were a development on the single cast ones . Unfortunately during the sea trials after the refit they caused a great deal of vibration and managed to shake themselves apart within the first few days.  The problem was sorted at great expense somewhere in the region of £1million pounds but don't hold me to that

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #23 on: Jul 06, 2012, 05:13 PM »
We spent months trying to figure out what to do with the metal after doing physical analysis of the material we discovered it was harder than stainless steel...

What kind of material was it? Where were they made?

And another question : would you or anyone else know whether QE2 has spares of her current propellers now and if so, where they are located?

After reading your description of how hard it was to move these propellers from their storage place, I imagine it would have been a ahrd job fitting them to QE2 as well, if ever they had been needed...

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Jul 06, 2012, 06:21 PM »
I am so glad that you decided to join the Forum and share your story with us. 

You mentioned that the blades were cut in December 1987.  When were the first set of golf clubs ready to be shipped.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Paul Ableson

« Reply #25 on: Jul 06, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Lynda . I dont want to ruin the story for everyone so you will have to wait a little while for the next episode just like a bed time story but better !!!

Isabelle , The material is called Superston 70 , an aluminium manganese Bronze thats why the clubs have a gold tinge to them . Developed by Stone Manganese Marine foundry in Birkenhead, Liverpool

I would expect that the spares for the current ship would have been scrapped as she is now berthed in Dubai and probably will never see her props turn again.  I have an original image of her props being fitted which I will post but health and safety would not be impressed

One prop we did move by road but thats another story which I'll get to

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Hi Paul - and Welcome, too!

How good it is that you have joined us!

You really have an amazing story - and hopefully there'll be lots more installments!
It's not often that we meet someone who has had such great ideas about 'bits' of QE2,
and equally ingenious, has managed to put them into action!
I well remember as a child visiting a big steel-works in Shotton many times, and to understand what you planned - smelting etc, and in the non-metal-friendly world, your project may well have raised a few eyebrows in amazement!
I remember bits of her hull (post-refit?) being sold as paper-weights on ebay - that was interesting.
A set of "golf clubs", and with a special 'Q'? That's just brilliant!
Rosie

PS - Just wondering, did you ever have the opportunity to try out your clubs on the sports deck 'bit' of QE2?

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2012, 02:02 PM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2012, 08:53 PM »
It seems I can only load one image at a time so here is the pic of part of a blade being lowered into the furnace

Helpful guidance - you can add 8 images to one post.  To add the second and subsequent ones, click the small link to "more images".  As shown below.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #28 on: Jul 09, 2012, 10:15 PM »
There is also a fresh new album waiting for the photo story, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=273

From the album, it is easy to "quote" the pictures in the body of a posting in the Forum. More here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2337.msg44303.html#msg44303
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 12:50 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Rod

« Reply #29 on: Jul 09, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Superston 70...hmmmmmmmm. During the "half-life" refit, when the changed the original props for the spares. The originals were sitting alongside the drydock. Can't remember where it was but in Europe.
A couple of us decided that a chunk of the original prop...polished, mounted on a scrap of teak from the decking would be a good talking point. We "bribed" the rest of the watch to cover for us, by agreeing to get them a chunk,  and armed with hacksaws and walkie talkies we went to forage!!!!!

FUGEDDDD IT!!!!!! Hacksaws wouldnt touch this stuff. 
But interesting to note that rotating through the sea had taken 1 1/2" from the diameter!

Re: Successors - One made it, One didn't, as for Caronia 4?

Started by ChrisBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 1
Views: 1794
Last post Feb 04, 2010, 12:01 AM
by Scott Ebersold
Greenock Golf Club

Started by No 736Board Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 3
Views: 1905
Last post Nov 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Shore Excursion-QE2 left without you/someone?/just made it?

Started by KEVBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 14
Views: 4487
Last post Jun 10, 2018, 05:05 AM
by skilly56
BBC in the UK - Clydebuilt: The Ships That Made The Commonwealth

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 11
Views: 2859
Last post May 30, 2014, 03:58 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 "Q2" Golf Clubs - Sales and valuation advice